PDA

View Full Version : Have you water tested professionally

Jason McK
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
14 different tests. Sounds like a great Idea anyone use them

http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/

Delphinus
12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I emailed them after seeing their ad in the fish mag I get, back in September or maybe October. Their ad (and webpage) says "Canadian and International customers - please email for a quote." I emailed them ... and never heard back, not a peep.

I might still try bugging them again at some point. It's a great idea. It just bugs me when companies don't even bother replying to emails, so I was sort of turned off by that. But ... In their defense, I haven't tried emailing them a second time yet.

I'm still sort of tempted to get a water test workup done because there's just something strange going on in my tanks when it comes to SPS ... but everything that I can test for seems to be OK.

Jason McK
12-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I like how they test for Boron because it is used so widely as a 'filler' for ALK.
it could really determine if the salt one uses is as good as one thought

J

Tom R
12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
I have always said that we need a service like this for our hobby. Most of us are hobbyist not chemists. I would probably use a service like this 3 to 4 times a year.

Tom R

Delphinus
12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Well if anyone does hear back from them about rates for Canadian customers.. please let us know. I might email them again too. It's a great idea, just mail in your samples, they email you back the panel results...

Tom R
12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I see an opportunity here. How about CSI AQUATICS. All we need to do is fine a lab willing to do the work.

Tom R

Chowder
12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
You might also be able to solve some crimes while your at it.:lol:

Veng68
12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I see an opportunity here. How about CSI AQUATICS. All we need to do is fine a lab willing to do the work.

Tom R

He he he........... when I used to work in a lab I could have done it. Not sure a lab would do it for a reasonable price (It's been 15 years since I last worked there).

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

michika
12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Some people on RC have used it, but have experienced some difficulties. It seems that the original tests weren't done with saltwater in mind, they tested the water like it was freshwater. I'm not sure if this has been solved yet, but I know its a known issue.

Patrick1
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
The only down side I see is if you make adjustments to your water and have to wait to find out if your adjustments are correct. Most likley your going to have to have some home test kits handy.

Jason McK
12-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Yes I would see this service as a yearly advanced test or if you had an odd issue that you couldn't find a solution to but suspected a none traditional test that we do not usually test for

J

Delphinus
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I sent them another email yesterday inquiring about services to Canadian customers ... so far no reply. I'll wait a polite period before sending them a reminder ... maybe if anyone else is seriously considering using them please email them too (if you hear back please let us know). Maybe they just need to be convinced that there's enough of a market north of 49 to consider doing it...

Jason McK
12-20-2007, 04:49 PM
done. It says 1 to 2 business days. I will also wait and see

J

Reefer Rob
12-20-2007, 05:51 PM
done. It says 1 to 2 business days. I will also wait and see

J

Did they send you the vials and the pre-addressed package? How much did they charge? I sent an inquiry to them but they haven't got back to me yet.

Jason McK
12-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Sorry I was unclear, I meant I also e-mailed them. I'm waiting to hear back.

skylord
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Jason couldnt you just do that Point to Point thing since you are so close to Point Roberts?

Scott

Jason McK
12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes I could. And will. But I was helping out Tony by having more Canadian enquiries to the site via e-mail :)

J

jasond
12-22-2007, 01:47 AM
I sent an email as well, I think this would be a great service!

Delphinus
12-22-2007, 04:06 AM
Us emailing must have helped, I did get a reply - although it was to the effect of "we're still trying to figure out how to charge you, stay tuned." :)

Slipstream
12-22-2007, 08:17 AM
haha, or ya could do this, send it to somebody in the us, than get THEM to send it to the company, and than back again, and they could email u the results or something like that, or fax them. it would solve the customs crap. Incoming anyways.

Jason McK
12-22-2007, 04:36 PM
There is a lot of talk on ZEOvit.com with regards to the accuracy of the test.
Not running tests correctly or using Fresh water tests for saltwater tanks

J

Delphinus
12-22-2007, 05:20 PM
That's too bad!

A month or two ago when I was at one of my more "at wits ends" moments with regards to why my SPS keep dying - I called up some local labs (well drinking water testing and so on), .. a "drinking water panel" which included about about a dozen parameters of interest to us as aquarist would have run about $100 (maybe a little less, don't remember exactly). But it didn't have phosphate! That would have been an additional $15. So .. um .. yeah, I haven't pursued this avenue yet. Problem is I'm reasonably certain my testing isn't too far off - so it might just be a case of $115 to confirm that my #'s are where I think they are - and that the problem is more biological in nature rather than chemical. :neutral: