PDA

View Full Version : XL Squamosa Clam Spawn

Quinster
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
This went on for 2+ hours the other night....

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/PrairieReefSupplies/?action=view&current=SquamosaClamSpawn.flv

mark
12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
wow and to get it on video

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Cool. My friend Colin had a whole shipment of Croceas waiting to be transhipped in his tank overnight & so many of them spawned that his tank water was completely milky & nasty. One clam spawning = cool; 100 clams spawning = massive water change needed:twised:

Delphinus
12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd still do that water change with one spawning! :) Man those spawning events go on forever (and the clams seem to trigger off one another - if one goes, suddenly a whole bunch of them go off).

When I had a squamosa clam spawn on me it was a recent addition (ie. the day after I had gotten it). Obviously the new tank/new water/etc. was a bit of a trigger, maybe even the temperature was a factor (since the clam came from a different city and had been in transit for several hours) ... So, I'm curious, Quinn: Was there anything that you're aware of that might have triggered the spawn? Any kind of parameter change, or water change, .. anything like that?

A bit off topic, but maybe not that much ... apparently the clam farms, when they have a brood of baby clams settle ... they have to take a "donor" clam (blue, green, etc.) and ... this is a bit macabre... they blend it. :( They then dump the blended clam goo into the water with the babies, who then pick up the colour pigmentations. If they don't do this, the clams all grow up to be brown.

(Or so I've been told..)

Quinster
12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I had a 20G mix going so that was changed Tuesday, I am getting another 35G ready in case it is needed, also changed some carbon Monday after it happened, and again tonight.

I had added some extra current to the tank a week prior, also I had adjusted my SG by 0.003 on the weekend...not sure if any of this could have been the trigger, but was cool to see!

PoonTang
12-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow very cool, and complete with a CSI soundtrack too :biggrin: