PDA

View Full Version : Does your euroreef "gurgle"

digital-audiophile
12-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Ok, so this is my first experience with a euroreef, RS135 to be exact. It has been running for 1.5 weeks and it has started to "gurgle" through the standpipe.. is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Chin_Lee
12-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Mine gurgles loudly from the venturi airline. Its a RS250 but i haven't done anything because its in my basement but would like to know how to quiet it down.

skylord
12-18-2007, 11:45 PM
My RS135 gurgled so I put the gate valve mod on, removed the little valve at the top of the venturi airline and it quieted way down.

Scott

calkrog
12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
same with my rs80, did the gatevalve, removed the airvalve and now its pretty quiet. still wouldent sleep next to it, but i can watch tv next to it.

Myka
12-19-2007, 02:13 AM
My RS135 gurgled so I put the gate valve mod on, removed the little valve at the top of the venturi airline and it quieted way down.

Scott

Yep...welcome to the RS135. ;)

digital-audiophile
12-19-2007, 03:02 AM
Maybe I should have spent the extra $600 and bought a bubble king :p lol!

calkrog
12-19-2007, 03:13 AM

i have not problem with my euroreef, but i find that they are next to impossible to adjust without the gatevalve. cant beat the performance for the price.

i have crabs
12-19-2007, 03:23 AM
i just bought 2 rs250's and both grugled for a few weeks and i spent more time tryin to stop the grugle than to get it to skim nicely they have since stoped on thier own except the odd time when foolin around with the adjustments. ive also been annoyed with the loud sound from the hose thet sucks the air in, i added the little silencers that where on some superskimmers which made a big difference but ive now sold the superskimmers so i gotta make somethin simular to quiet them down

Johnny Reefer
12-19-2007, 03:30 AM
....it has started to "gurgle" through the standpipe....
Got two RS250s here. Mine gurgled from the get go, even with the gate valves, so I capped them like so...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/IMG_0972.jpg

Worked like a charm.

As for the airlines, that's another story. My airlines kept clogging too frequently, so I pulled the valves off....just a few days ago actually. So far, IME, they make more noise now, through the airline. Of the two skimmers, one is noisier than the other, and unfortunately I sleep beside the noisier one. Been unplugging it at night. Thinking of putting the valves back on, but they seem to be skimming better without them.
I'm in a pickle :confused: .

Cheers,

Myka
12-19-2007, 05:08 AM

You should have just bought the RS180. :D

fiorano
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
what exactly is the gate valve? and how does it make it quieter hahah cause i would really like a much quieter skimmer

digital-audiophile
12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
The cap idea may not be too mad. I have one in my garage, I'll drill a hole and check it out.

For me the gurgle is not too big of a deal as my sump is plumbed through a wall from my tank and sits in the utility room. I just want to eliminate it if possible.

i have crabs
12-19-2007, 12:50 PM
i emailed euroreef about the valve pluging all the time and they told me to remove it its not needed under normal conditions

Delphinus
12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
The Coralife Superskimmers have a "silencer" on their airlines. Could something like that be used if the airline is too noisy? It looks a little similar to a bubble counter (just not transparent), basically just a little tube capped on both ends and then two hose nipples on the top, you just attach the airline to one of them. It probably puts a *tiny* amount of restriction on the air but not hugely I would think.

As far as that airline valve goes, I'd totally take it off. Seems to me you want as much air as possible, and compensate by lowering the water level. And if the air bubbles are too big then you just meshmod that sucker!! :lol:

Also, the gate valve mods are totally worthwhile, if you can get your hands on a gate valve. One disclaimer, I don't have a Euroreef but do have an ASM (actually gone through a couple ASM's now... when they used to be a cheap alternative to a Euroreef)... I did the gate valve mod on all of them. I found it way easier to work with the skimmer that way (plus it does help with the noise level too).

fishface
12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Mine gurgles loudly from the venturi airline. Its a RS250 but i haven't done anything because its in my basement but would like to know how to quiet it down.same...always has, probably always will.

digital-audiophile
12-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Mine gurgles from the adjustment tube, the airline is not bad.. just your typical sucking noise.

BC564
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Mine doesnt gurgle at all....and Im not understanding why it would...guess its my thick skull ...

fishface
12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
if you get sucking noises and it's not coming from your airline, it could mean your sump water depth isn't sufficient. this will create a little vortex at the venturi (water end)hence the sucking noises. if this is the situation, increasing the water depth in which your skimmer sits can get rid of this.

BC564
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I have the water depth about 1/2 inch below the air intake.....so my level is quite high

digital-audiophile
12-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Ah, perhaps I will try raising my sump water level. In the directions is says 5-6" inches if I recall, perhpas I will try a little higher.

BC564
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
directions.......hmmmmm......I think I tossed them aside...lol....

Palster
12-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Ah, perhaps I will try raising my sump water level. In the directions is says 5-6" inches if I recall, perhpas I will try a little higher.

The directions say 6-8 inches. When I put my RS-180 in the sump I built a stand out of eggcrate so that the skimmer did not sit in more than 8 inches of water as the depth of my sump is 12 inches. The link to the Euroreef manual can be found here:
http://www.euro-reef.com/ER%20Manual/New%20Manual%20For%20All%20Products%206-19-2007.pdf

jasond
12-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Tony, in regards to what you said, on my new'ish skimmer (RS100), I cant seem to skim very wet. I have the airlive valve off, foam level pipe as high as it will go, and sump level at about 7in. Any thoughts? Could it still be "breaking in"? Skimmate is very dark, and not all makes it up into the cup.

Sorry, not to highjack but I figured this kind of fits in with the thread!

Jason

Delphinus
12-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Might just be a breaking-in issue? What size is the output pipe, if it's something like 1" maybe you can replace it with a slightly longer pipe .. or maybe think about pulling it and replacing with the gate valve .. It's a pretty easy mod (usually) and gives you more control over the water level. The hard part is finding the gate valve!

jasond
12-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the reply...ya I figure it might be breaking in still, not sure. I sent a quick email to ER so I will see what they say. I will probably do the gate valve mod down the road, seems like everyone that does it is happy.

Thanks!

digital-audiophile
12-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm thinking I will go with the gate valve mod too. I'm thinking I need to find a good online source for PVC gate valves, buy in bulk and sell on canreef for a profit because you cannot find them here.

jasond
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Bit of an old thread, just wondering if you did the gatevalve mod Greg? Did it help? I seem to get noise from the airline sucking air. The tube is clean, and I have the valve off, but its still somewhat noisy. Any thoughts?

christyf5
04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
You could make the airline longer. I remember doing that on an old CPR bakpak skimmer I had and it worked like a charm. I had my euroreef hooked up to an ozonator so it has a super long line on it. I just realized that I hadn't removed it (not using ozone anymore) but no sucking sound (like I could hear it over the other various noises my tank makes anyways :rolleyes:)

jasond
04-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Huh, good suggestion, I will try that thanks!

digital-audiophile
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I have yet to try the gate valve modification, it's still on my list of things to do (that list keeps getting longer :p)

christyf5
04-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I have yet to try the gate valve modification, it's still on my list of things to do (that list keeps getting longer :p)

IMO the gate valve mod is brilliant (and ridiculously easy, hey, if I can do it anyone can. And it took like maybe 10 minutes). My euroreef used to make the worst noises, the sloshing was horrible to listen to, not to mention the salt spray and that stupid sponge was a PITA to clean all the time. The gate valve knocks down a good 95% of the noise I'd say. The other 5% is the skimmer/pump itself.