PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Suggestions.

Dale D
02-02-2003, 08:47 PM
I need your suggestions on what skimmer (size,make, model etc) you would choice to put on a 500 gallon reef sysytem.

The system will be moslty LPS and Soft corals. The fish load will be light to moderate for the size of the tank.

About the only restriction is that it can not be over 3.5'- 4' tall, so, it will probabily have to be a downdraft.

Are any of the Bullet skimmers rated for that size tank?

The biggest systems I have exprience with are about 175-200 gallons. So, I need your input on bigger equipment.

TIA :D

Troy F
02-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Hi Dale. With the right pump the Bullet 3 might handle that size of tank. I'm running it with a Mak4 right now and am researching a bigger pump. I'm thinking that the Mak4 probably puts somewhere's around 1000gph, although I don't know how much head pressure the beckett creates.

Marc's custom made skimmer may be worth a look, it really has some oomph, specially with that big assed pump he has driving it.

What's the budget like for the skimmer?

Dale D
02-03-2003, 12:46 AM
What's the budget like for the skimmer?

Hi Troy

Price wise just about anything goes. :)

Troy F
02-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Just about anything goes is a really good thing :) . What about having a custom beckett built (maybe two injectors) with a couple of huge pumps. Jerel just told me he's running a Iwaki 100RT on his Bullet 3 so they can handle ~2000gph.

Doug
02-03-2003, 01:34 AM
Dale, either the 36in. beckett I had from Jayson or the 32in. MR3 from Myreef would handle it.

Both are similar to the Bullet 3 and as Troy says, just need a larger pump. Like Troy, I also drove it with a Mak4, but had to close the valve a fair bit to get the level higher. With something like an Iwaki 70, you would be able to run the level below the first flange and drive foam all the way up.

Also you could use a similar size beckett, but have two injectors. Andy, a friend in Ontario has one like that and uses a pair of Mag 24 pumps to drive it.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, for the bucks, perhaps a 12in. by 36in. Euroreef with a pair of Sedra 5000 pumps. :D

If it were mine, I would run:
-a 36inch single beckett powered by an Iwaki 70
or
- a 36inch duel injector beckett, powered by a pair of Mak 4 pumps.

Made by Jayson, {Saltwater Connection}, or Andy, {Myreef Creations}, or of course our very own Titus, {Canreef}.

Doug
02-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Aww, Troy we posted that at the same time. :D

Dale D
02-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys. :D

Any websites where I can see pictures and get info on any of these skimmers? :)

Troy F
02-03-2003, 04:15 AM
Doug, great minds think alike! Dale, Andy's not too hard to find. Look for him on one of the bigger boards. He goes by the handle myreef and does have a website I think. Jayson is at SWC (http://www.saltwaterconnection.com) and well Titus is here of course ;). I wouldn't rule out what Doug said about those Euroreef Skimmers since budget isn't a problem.

MitchM
02-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I can recommend an Aquamedic T5000. I've had mine running now for 4 years without a single problem. 48" tall, 8" chamber. The side pump is a recirculating pump with a needle wheel impeller.

http://www.picturelist.com/auctions/showimagez.asp?user=carpentersreef&pic=skimmer.jpg

Mitch

Troy F
02-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Myreef (http://www.reefcentral.com/sponsors/myreef.php)

There's the link for myreef. I want one now :) .

Doug
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Agreed Troy, if cost is not a problem, nothing beats a Euroreef for simplicity, cant screw up and skimming. For sure though, one would need a 12incher and duel needle wheel pumps for a large system like that.

I believe AJ, on www.aquariumpros.ca/forums has a similar huge Aqua-Medic of his own, that he is selling on the for sale forum. I have never seen one in action, but may be worth looking into.

MitchM
02-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Doug, AJ's skimmer is the 6 foot version. It comes in both a 4 and 6 foot. I guess I've got the baby one. :)

Mitch

Dale D
02-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Are all these skimmers designed for either in sump or hang on use? Is there a skimmer that is designed for in line use?

Anyone know much about the Tunze skimmers? They make one for that size tank in hang on or in sump and they look like they are fairly compact.
Do they work very good?

Doug
02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Sorry Dale, forgot there was a height limitation. Here we are up to 6ft. :lol:

I have looked at, but not used the Tunze. For in sump use and capability of that size, then for sure Euroreef would be a good choice.

As for the becketts, even though they are designed to be run beside a sump, I tried my 32in. MR3 in the sump. The gate valve was submersed and it still worked perfect.

So, as suggested above, if thats your preference, the have a 32 or 36 in beckett built with duel injectors, driven by a pair of Mag 24 pumps. Everything in the sump, nice and neat. With the pair of Mags running in there, the heaters would hardly kick on. May have to watch it in the summer though.

Here is the kicker though;

Big Iwaki--- at least a couple hundred watts.
Two Mak 4 pumps---- 200 watts.
Two Mag 24 pumps----500 watts.
Euroreef w/ 2 Sedra pumps @ 55watts each---110 watts total. :)

Perhaps, you could also go as Troy is looking into. Run a beckett in the sump and drive it with a single pump, like an Iwaki 100, outside the pump.

Costs; {rough}
36in. beckett from Jayson around $450 or $500.
Iwaki 100, according to Troy, around $600------- Total--app. $1100

With duel injectors, pump cost would be;
Mak4 pumps @ $225 each---------$450 total
Mag24 pumps @ $225 each--------$450 total.
These are of course just app. costs.

A CS12-2, which is a 32in. by 12in. Euroreef, including two Sedra 500 pumps is $838 US.

A CS12-3, which us a 36in. by 12 in. Euroreef, including three Sedra 500 pumps, is $1058 US. {going by my single, small Euroreef, this baby must put out some kinda ca-ca. :) }

Euroreef prices courtesy of www.exoticfish.com I know Jeff also builds the Southbay needle wheel skimmers and could perhaps build you a custom order.

Troy F
02-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Has anyone noticed that there are two Mak 4 models and they're substantially different in output?

BL 1100 (NS-50) and BL 875 (NS 70)

I wonder if this explains the drop in price by Jayson recently?

Delphinus
02-03-2003, 10:17 PM
I hadn't noticed that. I have the one Jayson is selling. I'll have to see if there's anything printed on the one I just bought a month or two ago that suggests one or the other. I've seen them come down to $120USD or thereabouts so I thought that's why Jayson had dropped the price, he was just staying competitive. I can tell you that full out, my Gen-X completely overwhelms the overflow on my 72g. Even T'd off to run a RSB, the remaining flow needs to be cranked back to about 40% open. There is still some serious flow coming out of the sump return. Like you once said (or something like it), I don't want to sound like a cheesy endorsement, but this pump has been the best $200 I ever spent on this hobby.

Dale D
02-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Holy crap now I am really confused. :shock: :)

Heat from pumps is not a problem as the tank has a big chiller on it.

What is the level of noise given off by these things? The sump is under the tank in an enclosed cabinet and the owner is concerned about noise.
The sump will have alot of room in it for a skimmer after the bio-balls :roll: are removed from it. Or the skimmer can be located away from the tank where the chiller is located if it needs to be. That is why I asked about the possibility of an inline skimmer.

The system that is on the tank now was setup for the owner by someone else. I was asked by the owners of a tank maintainance company to have a look at it and see how it could be set up better.

The first problem that needs to be fixed is part of the water recirculation system. There is a pump located under the tank that pulls water from the sump and returns it to the tank through 2 returns drilled into the bottom of the tank. There are check valves on the returns, but, as is common with SW systems they no longer work :shock: so, if the power goes out the tank will back syphon into the sump and the owner will get 500 gallons of water on his floor. :shock:

I suggested that they have the water pulled from an intake at the top of the tank (instead of the sump) so if the power goes off there will not be a problem. And the amount of water circulation in the tank will still be the same.

So here it is, your chance to help redesign a dream system using someone elses money. :D

Doug
02-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Agreed Dale, get those bottom bulkheads on a closed loop. Ideal situation. If its quiet you want then, a Mak 4 is an excellent pump.

I have never seen an inline skimmer. Would it not have to be under pressure then?

Again of quiet is a concern and you dont want to go with a Euroreef, then again I suggest, having Jayson or Titus build you a duel injection beckett, to what ever height you wish. That way you dont need a large single noisy pump. Just a pair of Mag 24,s in the sump or better yet a pair of Mak4 pumps in the stand. Although you can hear the fan, its the most quiet fan cooled pump I have ever heard. I cant hear my friends with his doors closed.

The thing to make sure of, is how well long term a beckett will run in the sump. Some say you cant adjust then correct that way. As mentioned, mine worked just hunky, but it was not a long term test.

To sit it inside the cabinet, but not in the sump, it needs to be high enough to pipe over the side and down, then run along the sumps water surface.

Thats pretty hard to do without a high cabinet, so most have a cabinet attached to the side, thats higher with the skimmer in there. Some just sit it beside the tank. :) However, like I said, mine seemed to be fine in the sump.

I can check, but a friend "Andy", on the Ontario board, runs his 32in. duel injection beckett in his sump, I think.

Jayson
02-04-2003, 12:17 AM
The reason why the pumps have come down in price is we are moving and I have almost 100 pumps here to sell. Thanks

EmilyB
02-04-2003, 01:02 AM
The Euroreef is awesome - quiet, efficient, low maintenance.

vwguy26
02-04-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm running a Bullet 2 with Mag24.Best skimmer i've seen or used so far.I'm sure a Bullet 3 would work excellent

stephane
02-05-2003, 05:31 AM
For a becket
IMO after do a lot of search built a lot of them and test, the best skimmer for pure skimming power are the Areofoamer! for a 500 a model 830 30 inch tall by 8 inch OD rated for 100-1000 gallon if money is not a concern buy this puppy you will not regret it

http://www.reefconcepts.com/products/skimmers/800series/

Here is my version I made it cause for me money was a concern but I want the top! http://zapzap.zwf.net/gallery/Album-de-stephane?&page=4