PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say thanks (with a fts)

Funkytone
12-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Well its been about two years now since I first got the bug.......

A coworker was telling me about the 7 freshwater tanks that he had and told me to go check out this place called Big Al's in Burnaby. I went out that weekend to check out the freshwater fish and five minutes through the door, I couldn't stop looking at the saltwater fish. I starting talking to another guy who was there and he started telling me about his tank and even invited me to his house to come and check it out. I only knew him for less than ten minutes and the guy was inviting me to his house? whoa! weirdo! and now I catch myself doing the same thing :) anyways, he said there was a way better store just down the road and to follow him to some place called J & L's. When I walked through the doors and saw the display tank, I was in love! He showed me all around the store and I ended up buying a book on starting saltwater. I got sick the next day and spent the next two days laying on the couch and read the book from front to back twice! I was so hooked my brother thought I was crazy with how much I was engulfing myself with this hobby. I spent countless weekend at the local fish shops and found canreef and reefcentral on the net and started getting a list together of what I would need to feed my addiction.

Two years later, the tank is setup, the fish are in, the corals are in, and I've already started upgrading hardware. Here are my current specs:

75g glass w/corner overflow
30g acrylic sump
Red Sea Classic Berlin Skimmer
2 Modded Maxijet 1200's
Hamilton Hood mounted into canopy
2 X 175w 20000K MH's with 48" VHO's (10K and Actinic)
About 100lbs of rock (with another 50lbs dry base rock in buckets)

Fish:
Niger Trigger
Yellow Tang
False Perculas X 2
Orange Spotted Goby
Scooter Dragonet

Inverts:
Blue Linkia Starfish
Red Starfish
Black Long Spine Urchin
Dark Blue Sea Cucumber
Emerald Crab
Porcelain Crab
Tiger Shrimp
Various Hermit Crabs
Various Feather Dusters
Various Conch's

Corals:
Anthelia
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Trumpet Coral (Candy Cane)
Brown Plate Coral
Kenya Tree
Colt Coral
Purple & Green Mushrooms
Brown Acropora
Frogspawn
Zoo's (6 variations)

Thanks to Jason Mck (the tank, sump, and skimmer), TicketyBoo (the lights), Tom R (a bunch of the corals) and everyone on Canreef for the vast amount of knowledge I've gained by talking with you and reading all the post. And thanks to Ocean Aquatics for putting up with me every week since I found their address and realized that they're two minutes from my office.....

And now, time for the full tank shot

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/2117412952_f84b6d83fe_o.jpg

Everything is in the small phase but all corals (and fish) are growing and doing great.

Here's a link to some crappy photo's I put on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60227288@N00/

I think we're all pretty lucky to have such nice people in a very demanding hobby. I've never met a nicer, friendlier bunch of strangers ever!

-Tony

Slipstream
12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Looking good :) Glad u found awsome places to get help. Now i only wish i could find the same here in Prince George.. :lol:

andresont
12-17-2007, 08:26 AM
It's been TWO years since J&L set up a display tank ?!
wow ! time goes fast...
wlecome to the SW club

Van-rookie
12-17-2007, 08:33 AM
I think 2 years ago that funkytone first saw J&L display tank

tang daddy
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
yes the salt community is very helpfull, when I first started which was about the same time I remember going over to Anthony's house numerous times and staring at his wicked lps tank, he also shared the basics of reefing and brought me to a few members houses where I got to see some phenominal sps dominant tanks. That's where I fell in total love for acros and have been going at it strong, after investing enough money to buy a 18ft boat I would have to say I'm still very much in love with the hobby......
My family and freinds think I'm nuts with how much time and money invested but that doesn't matter, it's how the hobby makes you feel and what you can give back in return. I've since helped my best freind set up a reef as he only wanted fish at first now he's fallen in love with corals too. I must say that if someone wanted to set up a tank I would be more than glad to help and wouldn't expect very much in return just get the beer and pizzas lol.

Tom R
12-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi Tony

Your tank is looking gooood. It looks like the corals are all doing well and you will see a hugh difference as the days go by. As your tank ages things even do better. Growth on growth. One day you have five zoo's the next week you have six and the next month they seem to be everywhere.

The lemon Peel angel is doing very well.

Tom R

Funkytone
12-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Thanks Tom, glad to hear about the Lemon Peel.

You're totally right on the growth, now that I have the MH's, My zoa's are growing like mad.

I think for Xmas, I'm going to place an order with ultimatefrags.com :lol:

-Tony

fishoholic
12-22-2007, 01:54 PM
I think we're all pretty lucky to have such nice people in a very demanding hobby. I've never met a nicer, friendlier bunch of strangers ever!

-Tony

I have to agree. :biggrin: Thank-you everyone for your tips and advice.