PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of MH lighting to eyes?

Kronk
12-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Hello,

I finally setup the MH kit I purchased about a year ago. There is a lot of light bleeding out of the top of it and i am wondering how dangerous this is to human eyes? I remember reading something about this some time ago but i cant find any info. Its a 150W 14k Phoenix bulb on an Aromat electronic Ballast.

Thanks,
Ken

Delphinus
12-16-2007, 09:09 PM
150W so a double-ended lamp? (There's also a 150W single-ended style lamp).

The double-ended (or "DE") lamps don't have the outer glass globe, which acts as a UV sheild. This is why DE lamps need a cover glass on the pendent whereas single-lamps don't.

Soooo ... long story short, you don't want to make a habit of looking at that light if it's bleeding out the top. I'd consider something like some aluminium-tape (looks like duct tape, and is for furnace vents, but it's like aluminium foil with a sticky backing), and tape up the holes where it's bleeding out.

Myka
12-16-2007, 09:42 PM
You should try to stop the light spill. It detracts from the light that's going into your aquarium, and it isn't good for your eyes. Essentially it is a full spectrum bulb, and it "comparable" to natural sunlight. Sun isn't good for your eyes.