PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers / live chats

DJ88
02-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Hi Steven,

First off. Welcome to the board. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

For a skimmer on a 29 I'd make one suggestion.

Precision Marines HOT1. It is a great skimmer. On a 29 it will keep your tank very clean. As long as you keep it clean images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

It is rated for up to 90 gallons(which is a stretch IMO in a tank with anything more than a couple of fish) but will work really well in a tank of your size. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif One of the best engineered and manufacutured HOT skimmers out there.

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

cvrle1
02-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Hey

Just wanted to add my $.2 here

I am running a 33 gallon with red sea prism and I love it. It is a relatively cheap skimmer and it does great. It is a hang on kind and it comes with a pump as well.

Steven B.
02-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info all.

I was here for the chat but no one showed up. I hope we will be able to try it again soon.

Steven

Canadian
02-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Steve, this board is on the west coast (based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada), therefore 6 our time is gonna be 9 your time...come back then.

And I agree with Darren about a PM HOT-1 for a reef tank the size of yours.

reefburnaby
02-05-2002, 12:42 AM
Hi,

HOT-1 are nice, but they are expensive. Another alternative is a Bakpak. They are not as expensive, but then...they are not as good.

The key thing to note is big skimmers does not guarantee success. It just means that your chances of success are higher and your tank can tolerate some mistakes.

Skimmers are just a big water column with tiny air bubbles...so it is a pretty easy device to build yourself. I built mine with PVC. It's not clear and fancy like acrylic, but it works. Darren has posted instruction in the DIY channel on how to build yourself a PM HOT-1 clone with acrylic -- these instructions can be easily adapted for PVC.

- Victor.

Steven B.
02-05-2002, 04:39 AM
I have two questions here.
First: Being new I am looking for a live chat to talk about this instead of trying to do the message back and forth thing.

Second: I am trying to find info on skimmers. I wanted to use a seaclone and have been told by two different people ABSOLUTLY not. I am doing a 29g reef tank.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

christyf5
02-05-2002, 04:58 AM
Hey Steven,
Welcome to the board. We're going to attempt our first sort-of-organized chat tonight at 6 (I hope). Hopefully, nobody has forgotten about it. I'll be there anyway images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steven B.
02-05-2002, 12:24 PM
images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Well, just color me dizzy. I did not realize that this was a west coast thing. Sorry that I missed it last night. Let me know the next time there is going to be a chat & and I will do everything to make sure that I am there!!!