PDA

View Full Version : Niger Trigger

Canuckgod420
12-16-2007, 12:11 AM
I am curious to know if the Niger Trigger is reef safe or not.....OA got some in last night and Janet says there safe.....but LiveAquaria.com says they are not safe at all....any opinions?

Psyire
12-16-2007, 12:22 AM
I would peg them as the least safe of the possible reef safe triggers. I tried one but he never even made it out of my QT tank as he ripped the fin right off a flasher wrasse and tormented my clownfish. (never tried him with corals though)

Some people have had luck though. Also remember, this fish grows to the size of a football.

calkrog
12-16-2007, 04:41 AM
i've got a niger in my tank. no problems, and i did a bit of research before getting him and from what i read, lots of people have success with them in reef tanks.

Snappy
12-16-2007, 05:18 AM
I've got one, he doesn't eat coral but I do expect to eventually loose my cleaner shrimp though.

fishoholic
12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
We had one for a couple of months, never touched any coral but he tormented our poor foxface so bad that we had to sell him. :sad: He was a really cool fish.

michika
12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I have had one. Had him for years and never had any problems in my reef or with other fish. Then I was an idiot and added new cleaner shrimp and he ate them. He had to go after that.

The trick is to add all your inverts first, other wise the trigger may see them as food/prey.