PDA

View Full Version : My Big Tank Mixup!!!:)

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Well some of you may have known that I was talking about a bigger tank and at the meeting tonight I said I decided to no go ahead with the monster for now.
Well after the meeting Quinn(teevee), Katie(wife) and I went to InterAmerican to order Quinn's tank. Well after Quinn ordered his tank I asked for a quote on mine. :?

Well It was too good to pass up and Pugirl(wife) was forcing....um yea that's it FORCING! :roll: :wink: me to get the bigger tank. She even bent my arm backwards and said that if I didnt get the bigger tank I would have to move out! :lol:

So soon to be mine is a 72"x24"wx30"d tank. Front pane of starfire glass and Euro bracing. One corner overflow. So a 230g will soon be in my basement with a 90g refugium and a 75g sump.

Just thought I would share the excitment! 8)
Thanks

AJ_77
02-02-2003, 06:04 AM
WOW!!!

I'm gobsmacked...

Quinn
02-02-2003, 06:31 AM
when i hauled tony's 50 gal and my new skimmer and calcium reactor into my house, i think my dad nearly had a heart attack. he walked into my room (where the tank will be) and kept looking at the carpet. i think he was planning to say goodbye to it. wait till he sees the 150 gal next week! $550 with overflow, eurobracing and starphire front! woooo!

MitchM
02-02-2003, 12:58 PM
That's great Jon!
How soon is soon?
Dare i ask about the lighting?

Mitch :D

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Soon is 2 weeks for the tank to arrive but it probably a few months before it's set up. It's going in the basement wall "that dosent exist yet".
Lighting will be with 2 x 250w Iwasaki's and 2x 400w radiums that I all ready have sitting in the basement 8)

I suspect my electricity bill may go up some :?

Doug
02-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Nice size Jon. Same size as mine. You will love the picture effect from the extra height, esp. when in a wall. If you do like I did this one, {mine has an inset frame, instead of flush}, and have no front access, its an adventure leaning over the back and into the tank, to reach the front bottom. :lol:

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks Doug,
I am still having byers remourse/fright. This thing is quite overwhelming!
I was planning on having the tank flush with the wall and the tank stand will be built into the wall. I wanted to have a front access pannel as well.

:shock: Still Overwhelmed! :shock:

Tau2301
02-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Excellent Smithers...

Better start framing that basement today. :)

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Excellent Smithers...

Better start framing that basement today. :)

:lol: I gotta go to work today to pay for the materials to start framing!

Bob I
02-02-2003, 05:28 PM
If there is need for LEGAL electrical work, let me know, as I am fully qualified to do that.
Bob

MitchM
02-02-2003, 05:47 PM
:shock: Still Overwhelmed! :shock:

I'll give you 1 year after you get it until you want a BIGGER one!
:D

Mitch

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 05:56 PM
If there is need for LEGAL electrical work, let me know, as I am fully qualified to do that.
Bob
Hey Bob, Want to wire my basement? :wink:
Kidding, I wouldnt expect such a thing :D

No mitch I think this is it. I might add more tanks in the tank room though :lol:

BC_Grl
02-02-2003, 06:16 PM
AJ- "gobsmacked"?? Ewwww

Jonathan- Congratulations!!! May I ask why in the basement? Is that where you spend most of your time? Having a tank in the wall will be so cool. And since you're so handy, you can make anything and get it to work :D

Mitch- should we make a bet on how long before Jonathan gets a bigger tank? j/k :lol:

Bob I
02-02-2003, 06:22 PM
[quote=rcipema]If there is need for LEGAL electrical work, let me know, as I am fully qualified to do that.
Bob
Hey Bob, Want to wire my basement? :wink:
Kidding, I wouldnt expect such a thing :D

It would be no problem, as I just sit around most of the time anyway,and keeping it legal is a good thing as far as your insurance company is concerned.

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Well that's a great offer from you Bob! Thanks :D
I may take you up on that offer.

Josh23
02-02-2003, 09:10 PM
That awsome Jon.
Stop talking so much and get to work on it.
Cant wait to see it when its finished.

Josh

Quinn
02-02-2003, 09:19 PM
jon you could always tell IA to hold until you measure the longest wall in your basement... 12' tank anyone?

Canadian Man
02-02-2003, 10:07 PM
jon you could always tell IA to hold until you measure the longest wall in your basement... 12' tank anyone?
Yea right! :lol:

Josh. The framing start's tommorow....I think?

Josh23
02-02-2003, 10:21 PM
good luck with all the construction.
Keep us up to date on the development.
Post some pictures as you go.

Delphinus
02-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Heehee, this will keep you occupied for a week or two Jonathan!! Congrats and ... well ... you know where I live when you need an extra set of hands.

cheers

Dez
02-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Jonathan, you're making me want to move to Calgary, you'll have a lot of room to hold my livestock now...he he...

That's awesome....may I dare ask what it cost you? I'm in town this Sat...may be able to give a couple hours of help...I just installed flooring in my friend's parents house...

I'll talk to you soon....Did you get the radiums from SWC, he's got a great sale..

Des

Canadian Man
02-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Jonathan, you're making me want to move to Calgary, you'll have a lot of room to hold my livestock now...he he...

That's awesome....may I dare ask what it cost you? I'm in town this Sat...may be able to give a couple hours of help...I just installed flooring in my friend's parents house...

I'll talk to you soon....Did you get the radiums from SWC, he's got a great sale..

Des

Hey Desmond,
Well the tank cost me 900 + tax. Starfire front, overflow, polished edges, euro bracing. Good deal in my eyes. I was origionaly quoted 1200 on the phone but when mitch said 900 I couldnt pass it up.

I did get my radiums from Jason. They are sitting in my basement as I type this. I also got some beautiful Acro pieces you have to check out.
I am off on saturday as well.

Bob I
02-03-2003, 04:18 PM

So why don't you come to my house? Ross and I will be installing laminate flooring in my place, and any help will be appreciated. :D

Dez
02-03-2003, 04:39 PM
I'll see what I can do....I'm down for a wedding.... so I might not have that much time..

But I'll try..

Des

andestang
02-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Good for you Jon ! :D , but now I have to be so jealous :twisted: :wink: I don't even have mine running yet - soooo I guess I'll just have to carry on with mine ...... I guess :cry:
Need any help just let me know :D
Ande

EmilyB
02-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Jon....how totally awesome..... :shock: 8)

I saw Mitch at IA working on starphire fronts for sectioned Petcetera (? - It was for the US) tanks (what a waste... :roll: ) several years ago and I know one day I will have one. Does he still have that beastly little dog he has to lock up ?? :lol:

Maybe you will be looking for some nice healthy fish at a much later date....be sure to check here first :!: :roll: :wink: (Carp sighs in relief hoping he doesn't have to adopt many more...... :lol: :wink: )

rossb
02-04-2003, 01:30 AM
So why don't you come to my house? Ross and I will be installing laminate flooring in my place, and any help will be appreciated.

Bob you have this all wrong!

New low priced 2 day class on how install laminate flooring.

Part 1 Thursday night ..tips on getting started including removing old flooring and carpet plus surface preparation

Part 2 on Saturday Tips on installing the subfloor and the laminate floor. Also included is installing baseboard and making custom transition peices.

All this for only $2.18 and it includes lots of hands on experience!

and beer...you can bring beer

Quinn
02-04-2003, 01:53 AM
emily there was only a small poodle-looking thing present. but he has a caiman, croc and alligator, and a whole lot of glass. can't wait to get my tank! :D 8)

MitchM
02-04-2003, 02:57 AM
(Carp sighs in relief hoping he doesn't have to adopt many more...... :lol: :wink: )

lol.....

Mitch

Canadian Man
02-04-2003, 04:37 AM
Thanks All.
I am so excited. I kinda started framing tonight but I need to move my sump before I go any farther. :? What a bummer. So I got to flip my sump around 180 degrees and move it over a foot. Then I can continue framing.

Em, Yea Mop Dog was there :lol: Funny thing! I Figured with a nice big tank I am now allowed to have some nice big fish....Right? I will check with you first :D

I may need some help on saturday morning if there is any availiable hands?
Basically I have to move the equip off the sump. Drain the sump as much as possible. Cut plumbing. Move it. Re plumb it. Put all the equipment back. fill it up. Flick the swithces....HOLLY CRAP! :shock:
That sounds like way too much work. I would only need one or 2 sets of hands to help. Let me know anyone can. Thanks

Seriak
02-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Well Jon, my offer still stands to help you anytime you need it. Just give me a call and I can be over in about 5 minutes.

Chris

Canadian Man
02-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks Chris.
pm me your number again :roll: I don't know if I have it.
Thanks

I need one more :D person

AJ_77
02-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Sorry Jonny, but I can't - my birthday "party" is the night before - the kids are going on a sleepover, and we will be abed until about noon...

If all goes well. :wink:

Bob I
02-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Looks Like I am out too, I expect to be working on my new flooring all day.
Bob :cry: :cry:

Delphinus
02-04-2003, 03:32 PM
I could pitch in for a couple of hours ... call me.

Canadian Man
02-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks Chris and Tony,
I will give you guys a shout on saturday. I am suspecting about 11:00am I would need you fellows for a few hours.
Thanks

andestang
02-04-2003, 04:33 PM
I can be on back-up if you wish - just let me know :D
Ande

Canadian Man
02-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Ande,
If you want to come and give us a had be at my place at 11:00am
I guess it saves Tony having to lift one end of the sump by himself while Chris and I lift the other side. :lol:

Seriak
02-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Jon,

Thanks for including me in on the two man side. I guess its only fair since I am just a little guy.

andestang
02-04-2003, 09:46 PM
I'll be there with my white hard hat on :wink: :D :lol:
Ande

Canadian Man
02-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks fellows.

Jenna, I never answered your questions. Sorry.
Here it goes.
Well it's going in the basement cause many reasons. Temp control without a chiller. I want all my tanks in one room. The other side of the room will be my tvroom. I can fall asleep on the couch in the cool basement in the summer when I am "Sweating my bag off! :lol: " More room for other parts of the system. Eg. I will be having my current 90g as a refugium and my 75g as a sump with a 35g tank as part of the sump as well.

In a few years(dreaming here 8) ) I can plumb another tank to this one and have a frag/growout area as well.

I spend much of my time in the basement now cause that's where my shop is. With this new tank room going in all my tool stuff will be going into the garage which is my shop in progress. :D

kari
02-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Have structural design and carpentry background if you need any help. If you need help moving the tank I'm out of town. I gave my 230 away for fear of moving it again. Very good idea to add front access aswell since the tank is deep. The front view is spectacular. Kind of messes with your eyes :shock:

kari

Canadian Man
02-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Have structural design and carpentry background if you need any help. If you need help moving the tank I'm out of town. I gave my 230 away for fear of moving it again. Very good idea to add front access aswell since the tank is deep. The front view is spectacular. Kind of messes with your eyes :shock:

kari

:lol: That's funny. I'll make sure to ask you when I move into my next house which will be......NEVER :wink:
Yea I don't plan on moving anytime soon.

Mak
02-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Congrats on the new Tank CanMan :D . Thats the one I want...well except for another overflow and a sheet of Starphire for side viewing, which Mitch told me he would throw in for free @ $900.

LOL just kidding... gotcha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Canadian Man
02-05-2003, 04:19 PM
:P :roll: :wink:

kgb
02-05-2003, 09:08 PM
whats starphire

Canadian Man
02-05-2003, 09:20 PM
starphire is a brand/type of glass that had a lower "lead?" content therefore making it more clear like acrylic. regular glass has a green tint to it and this is even more noticeable when viewed sideways..