PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for new complete set-up ... Ideas wanted...

VFX
12-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi!

Ok, you have a $3000-ish budget (including LR but not including inverts or fish etc.) to set up a new marine display (preferably a reef setup but interesting FOWLR's ok).

What would kinda set-up you guys create?

What kinda kit? Lights? Fish? Corals? etc.

After having a 12 gallon nano & a 60 gallon reef I'm looking to go for something bigger (90 or 120 gallon?).

I've moved to the Vancouver area from the UK so I'm not sure what $3000 will get me over here but that's the ball park I have to play with.

Any ideas?

Myka
12-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Don't forget the cost of a properly set-up QT tank as well eh? ;)

Go talk to Mike, Jeff, or Jack at J&L Aquatics. They'll set you up proper. :D

90 or 120 would be roughly the same cost. Not much difference. Maybe a few hundred...

As far as the main equipment for a REEF, I would buy:

~ Euro-Reef RS-180 skimmer (don't like the 135 for various reasons, and the 100 would be too small)
~ 2 x PFO 250W HQI Mini MH Pendants w/ Giesemann 13,000K bulbs
~ PFO Dual 250W HQI ballast
~ PFO Dual 48" VHO retrofit kit w/ URI Super Actinic bulbs

This total would be about $1700 from J&L including bulbs and tax. About $700 for Tonga live rock and sand. If you buy an entire setup and talk real nice they'll prob give you a deal. So that leaves you with about $600 for a tank and QT to choose from, which won't be enough. I wouldn't consider any other equipment, haha! Might want to consider buying a used tank...preferably one with all the plumbing. You'll also spend another $3-400 on return pumps, and about $50-100 on plumbing depending what you want to do. I think $3000 isn't enough for a tank this size...you need $4000 to do it comfortably. Maybe try a 75 gallon? Or just buy an entire set up used...? More fun to build it I know!!!

You could just go all VHO lighting and do FOWLR. You could do that for $3000.

Tom R
12-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Have a look into this set up. It is in your general area and the pricing looks like a great bargain.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37850

Tom R

CLINT
12-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I have personally seen the tank and it is awsome.Very good deal in my opinion and if I can convince my wife maybe I can get it.NOT.You might want to just take a look at this setup if you are seriously looking.Clint

skylord
12-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Have a look into this set up. It is in your general area and the pricing looks like a great bargain.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37850

Tom R

I was trying to figure out how to work that into my system but Im sure the wife would notice. I agree with Tom on this looking like a great deal.

Scott

Van-rookie
12-15-2007, 08:18 AM
If only I have the space to put it in my apartment

VFX
12-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your replies & pm's

It's a rare thing, that I'll get to build something like this from scratch.

The aim of my post was to get some ideas of what you guys would do with a $3k starting budget.

Bills tanks does look amazing & at $2k it's an absolute steal!

However, I really want to build & design something from scratch this time (my old 60 gallon reef was bought from another hobbyist).

Part of the fun for me is the process of agonising what to buy, browsing websites & forums absorbing information, speaking to friendly LFS's on what they recommend, planning, designing & building, etc. etc.

Let's put it this way...

I could go buy a showcar 60's Mustang for around $75k, drive it away today & have an amazing vehicle. Or, I could spend $100k + over a period of time & build what would be perfect for me.

I'd still love to hear what you guys would build with around $3k... ($3k is a ballpark figure not a limit)

Many thanks,

VFX

skylord
12-16-2007, 03:36 AM
By scratch do you mean you will build your own stand and hood/cap? If you are doing the woodwork that really changes the cost. You can save a bit by designing your own hood and DIY lights. Other than that....

I would go with the 120 you mentioned....new I would guess about $600
Sump about $150
I would go with the Euroreef RS180.....$450
2 maxijets with the mod kit Chin has....$100
return pump about.... $150

With taxes thats about $1650

Leaves about $350 for wood to build the stand and $1000 for lights......

I spent your 3k and you will still need to come up with a few bucks for plumbing, test kits and misc supply's.

$3000 spent and you still have no water, rock, sand, fish or corals or......Im sure I missed something.....lol

Scott

danny zubot
12-16-2007, 04:11 AM
If it were my 3 grand, I'd go custom with everything and just build everything yourself. If you go with retro fit kits and DIY stand, plumbing etc, you will be left with more money for livestock. Plus you get the added satisfaction of telling everyone you build it youself. Thats just my thinking though.

Myka
12-16-2007, 04:24 AM
return pump about.... $150

That's a pretty cheap return pump...and that's assuming he's only got one return. Many people like two on 4' tanks. Personally, I don't see the need for dual returns until you get to a 6' tank, but to each their own...

VFX
12-17-2007, 07:36 PM
If it were my 3 grand, I'd go custom with everything and just build everything yourself. If you go with retro fit kits and DIY stand, plumbing etc, you will be left with more money for livestock. Plus you get the added satisfaction of telling everyone you build it youself. Thats just my thinking though.

Exactly what I was thinking.

The only thing I don't think I can do is drilling the tank so I'll probably have to have a tank made up.

Building the stands, the plumbing etc. I'd want to do myself.

I'd love to try out those Solaris lights but that will eat up most of my $3k in one fell swoop.

fishmaster
12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

The only thing I don't think I can do is drilling the tank so I'll probably have to have a tank made up.

Building the stands, the plumbing etc. I'd want to do myself.

I'd love to try out those Solaris lights but that will eat up most of my $3k in one fell swoop.

If you can build the rest, you can drill the tank. It's not hard at all. You just need to make sure you don't buy a tank made from tempered glass as it can't be drilled.

VFX
12-17-2007, 07:53 PM
If you can build the rest, you can drill the tank. It's not hard at all. You just need to make sure you don't buy a tank made from tempered glass as it can't be drilled.

Just a bit nervous about it I guess.

I'm pretty sure I'll be okay piecing together a tank from pre-cut sheets but figured if I was getting the glass (or acrylic) cut to size, why not get them to drill it too?

fishmaster
12-17-2007, 08:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I'll be okay piecing together a tank from pre-cut sheets but figured if I was getting the glass (or acrylic) cut to size, why not get them to drill it too?

Oh, I didn't realize your going to build the tank! I thought you were talking about getting a tank custom built. If they don't charge you an arm & leg, it would totally make sense to have it done by the glass shop. That way, if a panel breaks, it's on them not you!

Redrover
12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey welcome VFX...talk to Mike at Hidden Reef in Abbotsford...they do great custom work...this is a pic. of the 120 I had built

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/P1000306.jpg:onfire:

VFX
12-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Wow!

Your setup looks beautiful! I'm VERY envious!

Love the fact that you have 2 display tanks!

Who did the install? How long has it been up 'n running?

What's on TV? :)

Redrover
12-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Redrover tank journal...column 3...Marc [ SuperFudge ] did the install
All was done through Hidden Reef of Abbotsford:onfire:

tang daddy
12-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Oh, I didn't realize your going to build the tank! I thought you were talking about getting a tank custom built. If they don't charge you an arm & leg, it would totally make sense to have it done by the glass shop. That way, if a panel breaks, it's on them not you!

A glass shop will not take liability and they will tell you that from the get go, it's like a dealership giving you a car and if you smash it up they'll pay for all the damages as well as your injury.... not going to happen unless they're a big company that make tanks for a proffesion trust me I've already asked.

On a side note if it's 3g's I have to spend on a tank build I would go with a custom 60"lx36"wx24"h frameless euro braced 6 holes predrilled on the bottom pane.(wish I could afford starfire) but that would put things way over budget so the tank realisticly would run probally 800 plumbing 140 wood 160 that would leave 1900 I would definately go budget with the sump maybe spend 150 tops on one of those huge reservoirs you know the kind on propogation on RC no baffles needed also alot more total volume return pump buy used same with tunze 61's, a wavebox and controller, skimmer DIY probally the biggest one I can make and that would probally come in pretty tight but hey I would have the tank of my dreams and it would be clean viewable from all sides no overflow on side or back just through the rockwork a durso or herbie type drain maybe use some extra glass and build an overflow box and then use rockwork to go around it sort like a volcano. I love the japan inspired tanks so clean open all around even to view from above. Anyhow I won't bore you but that's what I would do if someone threw me 3grand cash!

Todd
12-18-2007, 03:05 AM

I think that he was talking about if the glass shop breaks the panel while drilling, they would cut and drill another panel.

Personally I think getting a tank built is the way to go. You can get what ever you want done with holes / overflows / returns / skim boxes, and know that the glass is the right thickness, wont be a leaker and will have the right frame and proper bracing. Also some of the aquarium manufacturers carry warranties on both stock and custom tanks.

Myka
12-18-2007, 03:53 AM

That's just silly. Tanks aren't expensive, and if it's store bought you have warranty. Albeit many companies won't warranty a tank kept on a stand other than their own brand.

fishmaster
12-18-2007, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=Todd;288857]I think that he was talking about if the glass shop breaks the panel while drilling, they would cut and drill another panel.

Yah, that's what I was saying.:biggrin:

phillybean
12-18-2007, 04:52 AM
DIY and buying used is half the fun (so far for me, all the fun).

My 75 gallon will be completed for about $1000 out of my pocket. That includes a 75, with a dart closed loop, 45 gallon sump, 2 x 175 MH, 88lbs live rock, 120lbs sand, RODI, salt, etc. Now I swung a few good deals to make that happen, but it's doable. Once it's done (should be running by end of January) and corals etc. are added, I think it will rival most "store bought" custom set ups.

Currently on the buy and sell forum, you can get a 125 gallon, with metal stand and lighting for $425. Get it drilled at a glass shop or drill it yourself (search RC). Add a calfo overflow. Skin the metal stand with ply wood, stain it, add doors. Buy a 55 gallon used tank, have a glass shop cut baffles to size. Pick up a used skimmer or a nice Octopus skimmer (cheap, but good). Get a closed loop, a mag 7 for return. And pick up two boxes of Fiji Live Rock from J&L.

$425 for Tank, Stand, Lights.
$100 for glass work
$200 for wood/stain
$300 for skimmer
$400 for closed loop
$75 for Mag 7
$600 for Live Rock
$200 for sand
$400 for metal haliades
$300 for misc & beer

Total of $3000 for a 125 gallon tank ready to go. I think I went over kill on some of the prices as well.

cav~firez22
12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
DIY and buying used is half the fun (so far for me, all the fun).

My 75 gallon will be completed for about $1000 out of my pocket. That includes a 75, with a dart closed loop, 45 gallon sump, 2 x 175 MH, 88lbs live rock, 120lbs sand, RODI, salt, etc. Now I swung a few good deals to make that happen, but it's doable. Once it's done (should be running by end of January) and corals etc. are added, I think it will rival most "store bought" custom set ups.

Currently on the buy and sell forum, you can get a 125 gallon, with metal stand and lighting for $425. Get it drilled at a glass shop or drill it yourself (search RC). Add a calfo overflow. Skin the metal stand with ply wood, stain it, add doors. Buy a 55 gallon used tank, have a glass shop cut baffles to size. Pick up a used skimmer or a nice Octopus skimmer (cheap, but good). Get a closed loop, a mag 7 for return. And pick up two boxes of Fiji Live Rock from J&L.

$425 for Tank, Stand, Lights.
$100 for glass work
$200 for wood/stain
$300 for skimmer
$400 for closed loop
$75 for Mag 7
$600 for Live Rock
$200 for sand
$400 for metal haliades
$300 for misc & beer

Total of $3000 for a 125 gallon tank ready to go. I think I went over kill on some of the prices as well.

well, for starters, $300.00 for misc & Beer?
Why so little, I think you could make it $200 for a skimmer, and $400 for Misc and beer.

that evens it out a bit better.
:mrgreen:

Merry Christmas everyone.

VFX
12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
That's just silly. Tanks aren't expensive.

Some of the tanks suggested cost $400 upwards... that may not be expensive to you but I have no problems admitting it's expensive to me.

Also, would a tank really be under warranty if you crack it whilst trying to effect some DIY mods like drilling?

In any case, no need to say it's silly for not wanting to drop $400 if I crack a panel!?!?!

Adanac00
12-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey VFX sent you a PM as i am another Chilliwack Resident looking to start a new Reef tank!

Kody

phillybean
12-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Hah Cav, your right, 400 for misc and beer does sound better.

My tank will be set up and should be done cycling by March. Hopefully you'll have some frags for me :mrgreen:

So Far the cheapest place in town I've seen for Frags is Pet City for 25 bucks each :sad:

Myka
12-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Also, would a tank really be under warranty if you crack it whilst trying to effect some DIY mods like drilling?

In any case, no need to say it's silly for not wanting to drop $400 if I crack a panel!?!?!

LOL! You won't crack a panel drilling it. Drilling it yourself voids warranty. Buy it pre-drilled with overflows, like an AGA Reef Ready. Put it on an AGA stand and voila...20 year warranty. Worth the $600-700 for the tank and stand if you ask me.

pinhead
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Some of the tanks suggested cost $400 upwards... that may not be expensive to you but I have no problems admitting it's expensive to me.

Boxing day sales coming up. Here's a link from my second favorite website - Redflagdeals. Big Al's has some good prices on new tanks.

120 gallon - $170

Biocube 8 for $99 also looks interesting
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/249/bigals01bd2.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6323/bigals02gu7.jpg

Tom R
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM
While some say that tanks are not expensive they do cost real money. However it is the stuff you put inside the tank and the stuff you support the than with which really cost the money.

Good luck on your quest.

Tom R

VFX
12-20-2007, 04:42 AM
got this quote...

$800 120 gallon reef-ready tank
$400 Euro-Reef Skimmer
$400 Coral-life Calc Reactor kit
$1600 Giesmann Infiniti MH & T5 unit

Total: $3200 plus taxes

'Deal' with pumps, powers heads, sump & plumbing - $4500 plus taxes.

add 100lbs of LR, sand, salt etc. $800

So I'm looking at $6k taxes in before I've even got a stand or cabinet to house it all.

Wow, I got some saving up to do!

These prices sound in the right ballpark?

VFX
12-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Boxing day sales coming up. Here's a link from my second favorite website - Redflagdeals. Big Al's has some good prices on new tanks.

120 gallon - $170

Biocube 8 for $99 also looks interesting
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/249/bigals01bd2.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6323/bigals02gu7.jpg

Went to Big Al's (Richmond) on Sunday & they pretty much wouldn't give me the time of day. Everyone was busy & the person I managed to pin down basically didn't know anything about marines.

I guess I'll try again after Xmas.