PDA

View Full Version : "Coil Of tubing" Ozone "Reactor" Questions

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I have heard from many people now that this is the best and least expensive way to go for injecting ozone. Long coil (50'-100') of silicone or HDPE tubing with a powerhead or pump with venturi feeding water and ozone in one end of the tubing and the water exiting the other into a PVC carbon canister and then back to the sump. Easy enough.

I have a few questions though anyways.

1. What kind of powerhead/pump would you use? Someone recommended a MAG 5 to me but others have said just a powerhead would be fine. Are most ozone safe though?
2. Do you think ozone will still leak a little from the venturi or powerhead "air intake" and need some carbon placed on it? In other words, how air tight are these fittings?
3. It I get a pump without a "airtake", where can I get a venturi fitting?

Is anyone here doing this and how is it working?

Thanks.

untamed
12-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I haven't done this...but my first thought is that you'll likely need a larger pump than you think. 100' of tubing offers a lot of resistance (head pressure)....more than you might think. Sorry, I don't have a particular pump recommendation. Just keep your receipt if you go with a Mag 5.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Im actually doing 50' but yeah it will need a decent pump I guess. I have been advised to use the smallest pump or usually powerhead possible though because you want the water moving through as slow as possible. Without stopping of course. There was one guy I talked to on RC who used only 25' tubing and a rio powerhead...Not sure how well but he claims it was good.

PzReefer
12-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah even 50 ' will be a lot of head pressure for a power head.
i still like using my old venturi valve skimmer as my ozone reactor and run it very dry for skimmate and I use a very large needle wheel for skimming wet.

Al

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Yeah even 50 ' will be a lot of head pressure for a power head.
i still like using my old venturi valve skimmer as my ozone reactor and run it very dry for skimmate and I use a very large needle wheel for skimming wet.

Al

Yeah I realize this now...Im going with a MAG 5 I think. Should be more than enough from what I have seen people using. Need a valve most likely to tone it down a little even.

Yeah an old skimmer is nice and easy but the reaction time is way too short. Im looking to increase the reaction time to around a minute before releasing back into the sump. I would guess most skimmers are not even 20 seconds. Could be wrong but I know they are not over a minute. Plus this is much, much cheaper!

Bryan
12-15-2007, 05:47 PM
How will yuu be introducing the ozone to the tubing. A venturi isn't going to do much at the low flow rate. perhaps introduce the ozone before the impeller so it gets "chopped" up. If so, expect the impeller rubber and plastic to harden and brittle fairly fast.

Pescador
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
According to the Holmes article he did not have enough flow for the venturi to suck ozone and still had to use an airpump. He was using a T from his return, twin Iwaki's 30's in series.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2007, 07:27 PM
How will yuu be introducing the ozone to the tubing. A venturi isn't going to do much at the low flow rate. perhaps introduce the ozone before the impeller so it gets "chopped" up. If so, expect the impeller rubber and plastic to harden and brittle fairly fast.

Well you are just using the venturi as an inlet for the pumped air/ozone. The flow rate is too low to actually get suction form the venturi but that not what your looking for. Its simply to get the ozone into the water.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
According to the Holmes article he did not have enough flow for the venturi to suck ozone and still had to use an airpump. He was using a T from his return, twin Iwaki's 30's in series.

Really? Where did you read this? I read that whole article and he left off by saying it did a great job raising the OPR and he never smelled the ozone at all. Was there another article that he mentions that?

Pescador
12-16-2007, 05:58 PM
In this setup, the venturi simply acts as an inlet for the pumped air because the flow rate is too low to actually get any suction by venturi action.

2nd last paragraph of coil tubing reactor section.