PDA

View Full Version : Filter sock question

jasond
12-13-2007, 01:27 AM
I have just recently set up my tank (< 1 month), and am new to the sump/refug thing.

Question is, I read somewhere on RC that filter socks and Phosban filters are no good if you are looking at having a healthy level of pods (mandarin down the road hopefully). I had the sock in for a couple weeks, and since taking it out, the water doesnt stay as clear (the dirty sock had lots of junk in it).

Does anyone use a sock/phosban and still maintain a good level of pods?

Sorry for the rookie question, thanks for any help!

Jason

calkrog
12-13-2007, 01:44 AM
i run a sock on and off.. no problems with small critters. i suppose some may get caught up in the sock, but its pretty minimal. i run phosban as well, and that does not effect it at all.

mark
12-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Often the refug is in the sump so it's after the drains and before the return pump. If so, the sock doesn't prevent pod going from the refug back up to the tank.

Also I might go a week between changes and when I do might find 2 or 3 pods (I look) so probably not that many actually flushed from the display.

Snappy
12-13-2007, 03:18 AM
I run a sock with no issues. If you are concerned about it, let the sock overflow for a day or two after it plugs up to wash out the pods caught in it. That is assuming you aren't using the socks with the draw strings. Only do that if you have the type with the plastic rim.

jasond
12-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks guys. Mark, my refug is in the sump where you mentioned, so it shouldnt be too big of a problem.

I dont think (maybe cant see them?) I have any/many pods. I have a moonlight, and have looked closely an hour or two after lights out, and cant see anything. I have had the LR for close to 8 months, I would suspect there are some? Anyways, I plan on getting some going, weather its buying some or maybe trading sand with someone once my tank has ran a while.

Thanks for the suggestion Greg, I have the drawstring, but the next one I get I will make sure it has the plastic ring, good idea!

Thanks again.

Jason

Richard_Dicosimo
12-13-2007, 04:45 AM
if u wanna know forsure just throw a peice of that blackish filter foam the coarser stuff in your fuge for a week then take it out and give it a squeeze it will likely be full of pods!!!

im not sure what the foam is called but its simmilar to a scrub pad you would use to wash your dishes.

Richard

jasond
12-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks Richard, I think I know what you are talking about. I will give it a shot and see what happens!

Redrover
12-13-2007, 05:09 AM
I only used a sock for two days after a water change.:onfire: