PDA

View Full Version : Angel questions

Murminator
12-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I have been think about adding an angel to my reef and I have never had one. I would like a potters but will settle for a coral beauty or flame angel. I always read about the good fish I never hear about the bad ones. I would like to hear about the good and bad ones to get a kinda percentage of good to bad to help in my decision.
It will be in a fairly stocked 90 with 2 clams lots of LPS, softies and a few SPS. Yellow tang, 3 clowns, royal gramma, blue sided fairy wrasse, and 2 huge cross damsels (bigger than the YT)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-12-2007, 08:54 PM
My Potter's has so far been a very good reef-safe angel.

My Coral Beauty nipped now & then, so only semi-safe.

Reptile Guy's Flame has taken a loving to brain, acan, & blasto type corals.

fishoholic
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
My coral beauty has been reef safe so far.

Salmon King
12-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I wouldnt as I put potters/flame and lemon peel and they all started chomping coral.I know it is 5050 but sure a drag getting them out.Drag nice fish,Maybe Watanabi angel as it is 100% reef safe

Shipwreck
12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I can't comment on the angels but I would consider keeping just 2 clowns not 3 and remove the damsels from your list.

guysmiley
12-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I have a Flame and an Emperor in my reef.

The flame is fine but the emperor eats zoos and clams.

For some reason it really likes maxima clams and crocea clams. It leaves my big Deresa totally alone.

Garrick.

Murminator
12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I can't comment on the angels but I would consider keeping just 2 clowns not 3 and remove the damsels from your list.

If I could catch the damsels I would they only hate each everything else they are fine with, so I thought they woulda killed each other by now. As for the clown they been together for over 2 years they are all fully grown and happy together

niloc16
12-13-2007, 05:47 PM
i've had a flame angel for about 3 years now and the only thing he liked was an open brain and really really liked it. ate it in 2 days. everything else he is fine with.

reptile guy
12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I've had lots of flames over the years and never had a problem with any of them nipping at anything at all and this new one was fine for months not touching nothing until one day it decided man these corals taste great lets try to eat them all lol( mostly just the expensive ones by the way lol ). Just goes to show you how no two are alike and now having to catch him in a 210 filled with rock and coral on a tall stand is gonna be a nightmare. I'm never adding an angel to a lps tank again cause seems only a matter of time before they start to sample a few things unless it's in a tank where they can be easily caught cause my flame isn't remotely worth the $700 dollars in corals he was picking on (luckily except for my nice acan nothing has been overly harmed)

Chin_Lee
12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Angels and clams are usually not a good combination. If it starts nipping the clam, you will usually have to remove the clam because you can't catch the angel.

VFX
12-13-2007, 07:47 PM
My Flame Angel was totally fine with all corals but would occasionally chase the smaller of my clowns.

fiorano
12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
i had a flame angel a coral beauty and another one but i can quite remember the name it had 6 vertical orange stripes on it and they were all perfectly fine with the inhabitants in my tank except the yellow tang always tried to kill them. but other than that they were fine

fishytime
12-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Flame and bicolor here. The flame is fine, doesnt touch anything yet. The bicolor looks like he may be picking at my sps.The coral isnt showing any signs of damage, so I'm not sure if its picking at the polyps or something else on the skeleton. So...so far so good.