PDA

View Full Version : My version of a DIY Zoevit reactor

andestang
12-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Here's my version for a zoevit reactor. Had a hard time trying to buy one and cost was also a factor. So if I didn't make one I would of probably fallen off this zoevit thing again. Made this unit for $60 in supplies and another $25 for a MJ 600, could of used a Mag 7 I have laying around so I guess we'll see how the MJ works out. My pics of my tanks suck so I'll try this.

First the cuts: I used 5" for main cylinder and 4.5" for inner chamber. Made an inner chamber because I didn't want the rocks to wedge in between the cylinder and plunger plates, plus cut down on the scratches.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_001.jpg

I cut some round pieces - 2 for inner chamber and 2 for the lid.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_002.jpg

This is how I made my lid - glued 2 pieces together and drilled for the plunger rod

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_005.jpg

Lots of drilling for the inner chamber ends

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_007.jpg

Assemble the inner chamber:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_014.jpg

Piece/plumb/weld together the outer chamber:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_013.jpg

And there you have it. Should have wiped down for final pic, but you get the idea. Now to master the zoevit system.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zoevit_reactor_010.jpg

Jason McK
12-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Looks Great I'll take one :)

How is the top lid secured?

J

andestang
12-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Looks Great I'll take one :)

How is the top lid secured?

J

Thanks, the lid is just a friction fit and a piece of rubber liner to help seal it a bit.

Jason McK
12-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Cool that's how the $$$ one I bought seals

j

calkrog
12-12-2007, 02:16 AM
looks very nice.. where did you get pieces of acrylic pipe?

Delphinus
12-12-2007, 02:56 AM
That's awesome!

PS. I'll take one too. :)

Joe Reefer
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Good job Ande. I'll take one too.:mrgreen:

BC564
12-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Looks good.
I'll take one too

Der_Iron_Chef
12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Umm...I'll take one, too? I see a business opportunity :)

digital-audiophile
12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I'd buy one!

Sounds like you have a new source of income :)

Tom R
12-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Your ZEOvit Reactor looks great.

When you set it up to run keep in mind the suggested flow rates in the ZEOvit Guide.

It is important to have sufficient water flow through the filter material (200-400 liters per 1 liter of ZEOvit®). We strongly recommend not exceeding the maximum flow rate of 100 gph per 1 liter of ZEOvit®, which could ndoubtedly have a negative impact. High water flow through the edia in already stocked tanks, especially during the start up of this system, has shown to cause slow tissue loss in SPS
corals. We recommend a lower flow rate through the media during the first few weeks of introduction of this method to a tank already stocked with corals. The effectiveness of this system in reducing nutrients could result in changes that are to abrupt when higher flow rates are used. However, corals need time to “adapt” to these new nutrient conditions.

Tom R

andestang
12-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll post its performance or any modes. Any of you that are serious about getting one I would help you out after the holidays, just shot me a PM. I enjoy doing things like that.

andestang
12-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks Tom, yes I,m going to use a bout 1L at about 100 gph and have it on a timer for 3 hrs on and 3 off for the first couple of weeks.

Your ZEOvit Reactor looks great.

When you set it up to run keep in mind the suggested flow rates in the ZEOvit Guide.

It is important to have sufficient water flow through the filter material (200-400 liters per 1 liter of ZEOvit®). We strongly recommend not exceeding the maximum flow rate of 100 gph per 1 liter of ZEOvit®
Tom R

Tom R
12-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Ensure that the water level in the off cycle leave enough water in the reactor to cover the ZEOlith rocks. If the rocks are not covered the bacteria culture will die.

Tom R

andestang
12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks, the return outlet I made is plenty high enough,this unit can also be used in-sump.

Ensure that the water level in the off cycle leave enough water in the reactor to cover the ZEOlith rocks. If the rocks are not covered the bacteria culture will die.

Tom R

Delphinus
12-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Actually, although I was sort of kidding, I was sort of not kidding .... I would be seriously interested, but, yeah, after the holidays sounds good to me! I could help with a set of hands maybe .. I dunno. The reactors seem pretty hard to come by these days for some reason? :neutral: Seems DIY is the most viable option at the moment. For both cost AND availability..

Der_Iron_Chef
12-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll post its performance or any modes. Any of you that are serious about getting one I would help you out after the holidays, just shot me a PM. I enjoy doing things like that.

I'd be interested, too. For those of us with no DIY skills (me)...this is a great, and, I'm assuming, less expensive option!!

I wish DIY skills like cooking and the deconstruction of 17th-century prose were valuable in this hobby. *sigh*

:D

digital-audiophile
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
My DIY skills are much like Drews. I really want to start zeo in the new year and don't want to pay a fortune for a reactor so this looks like a good way to go. You should think of a selling price -raw materials/labour etc and let us know :) you need to make it worth your while for sure.

I am interested to see how the set up works for you.

BC564
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree....I'd rather you figure out a price per unit....with your profit included....and then work like a little elf and sell sell sell......yes Im still interested.

steve fedyk
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Great job on the reactor, do you mind if I copy your design for my own tank.
What is your high of your reactor.
What size of tank you have.

surgeonfish
12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Actually, although I was sort of kidding, I was sort of not kidding .... I would be seriously interested, but, yeah, after the holidays sounds good to me! I could help with a set of hands maybe .. I dunno. The reactors seem pretty hard to come by these days for some reason? :neutral: Seems DIY is the most viable option at the moment. For both cost AND availability..

I am using the ZF 100 (2.8l) and find it too small. I am going to need a bigger reactor in the future. Therefore, once my system is low nutrient and I increase my ZEOvit to 3.0 l I will probably sell my reactor.

Delphinus
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Where did you find the tubing BTW? IPP or GEPolymershapes or someplace else? I was always afraid you had to order the stuff in 10' lengths or something ...

Phanman
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
any updates on pics or mods?

fmelindy
12-29-2007, 11:38 PM
tacking myself onto the bottom of the ever-increasing "I'd buy one" list!

Pan
12-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Ditto