PDA

View Full Version : What Reef unsafe fish do you have in your Reef

Jason McK
12-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Who here has had success with fish not considered 'REEF SAFE' in a reef tank. Please be specific as to what corals you have with the fish

thanks
Jason

andestang
12-12-2007, 01:25 AM
I have a Blueface angel in my 150g with sps's and lps's. I've had him since a wee little fella and so far he has been good at not nipping anything. Just has to tolerate my Sohol.

michika
12-12-2007, 01:28 AM
- Imperator angel with sps, clams, zoas, lps, softies, and shrimp. It never touched any of them, great fish up until its untimely death. I would consider getting another juvi. in the future.

- Singapore angel, with the same as above. Never touched anything either, great little fish with lots of personality. However, I had a second one and it was mean mean mean!

- Snowflake eel, again with the same as above. Model citizen up until the point when a person came up to the tank. He had to go after he made a lunge at me on the other side of the glass.

BigT
12-12-2007, 02:26 AM
I have a coral beauty which I know is a 50/50 risk, but he's been stellar for me. I have softies, LPS, Zoos and a clam

reptile guy
12-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Has anyone had any success keeping any type of corals with queen angels? Always wanted to have a queen angel but here there one of the worst in a reef and a fowlr just seems to plain to me would be nice to at least have some noxious corals that are unlikely to be eaten like colorful mushrooms, finger leathers or toadstools at the very least or some hardy sps like plates and digitata. Any ideas?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-12-2007, 05:42 AM
My wife's porcupine puffer & cowfish are in a tank with digitata and mushroom corals. No problems. Althought the cowfish did pick up and nibble the sand shifting starfish.

Anthony

danny zubot
12-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Bi-color angel for me. Also a luck of the draw fish. He's never touched anything in my mixed reef.

ron101
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Have a potter's angel that I got from Sam who is very well behaved. Also have a blue boxfish that keeps the tank free from tube worms but that's her only vice.

Bayside Corals
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
My Tinkers Butterfly.

I have everything from Clams, SPS, zoo's leathers etc. He has not eaten any corals but he has picked at corals trying to get the mysis shrimp out of them after a coral feeding.

Colby

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r265/BaysideCorals/tinkers.jpg

digital-audiophile
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I've a coral beauty. He has not bothered anything yet.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Rusty Angelfish, kept with LPS, SPS, soft corals, a clam and inverts. No problems yet.

BC564
12-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I have a coral beauty that has not touched anything yet.....that I know of.

Snappy
12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
In my softy tank I have a Flame angel and yellow clown goby. In my main (sps) display I have a coral beauty & niger trigger.

Joe Reefer
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I had a Niger Trigger in my reef but anymore they seem to be considered reef-safe. I have also tried a couple different dwarf angels all were model reef citizens. Lately I have been considering a Double Saddle Butterflyfish.

Cable guy: Does your butterfly eat majano and aiptasia? Awesome fish BTW

steve fedyk
12-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I have an emporer angle (juv) and a potter angle for about four months in sps and two lps.
At Ocean aquatics thay have a queen angle in the sps tank and I was there for half an hour and didn't see him eat any coarls.
I think if you get a small one about 2"-4" long and feed twice a day you should have some luck or a tank bread angle would be best. I don't know if anyone has bread queen angles.
I would love to get a queen angle and try this out in the new tank (couple more years).:mrgreen:

Chowder
12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Have a blue face angel at work in a softie , lps tank. He nips at a califlower coral and gsp but nothing else.

Skimmer Juice
12-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I have had good sucess with my longhorn cowfish, minus the xenia , colt coral he liked to eat. I love this fish to death.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/stankiec/newstart002.jpg

fishoholic
12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I have a coral beauty and a CBB in a tank with zoos, mushrooms, gsp and xenia. So far I haven't had any problems.