PDA

View Full Version : How to get your fishes eat other food?

i2ik
12-11-2007, 05:44 AM
As the question mentionned, i would like to know how to introduce other food to my fishes. Up to now, i have feed them frozen food which they are all eating but i would rather give them flake as i find it easier and would save me some time for sure. I would also be able to just feed them more often everytime i passed by the tank room. Let me know how you guys do!

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Just feed less of there favorate food.Fish can go days without.Every day just add a little of new food and hold back on the other.Soon they get the taste for it

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 06:24 AM
dont over fead I feed mine once to twice a day.Once in morning and once at night.I usally dont feed them at all once a week to.This is supposed to be good for them.I even have lion fish eating banana

andresont
12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
My fish only get coral food.
They get chunks of ReefRoids and FaunaMarine coral food before it dissolves.
I don't even feed them at all some times only when guests come over.
Some times cyclope-ease (spelling?)
All fish are very healthy and bellies are full.
I would stay away from flakes or any fat based foods.
Get on protein based foods. Easier for the skimmer to get rid of dissolved organic carbons.
~

andresont
12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I always wanted to try Banana !
I mean to feed my fish ( i know how banana tastes like LOL)

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
My fish only get coral food.
They get chunks of ReefRoids and FaunaMarine coral food before it dissolves.
I don't even feed them at all some times only when guests come over.
Some times cyclope-ease (spelling?)
All fish are very healthy and bellies are full.
I would stay away from flakes or any fat based foods.
Get on protein based foods. Easier for the skimmer to get rid of dissolved organic carbons.
~

I dont totally agree as fish need variety as much as we do as all food have different vitamins that they need

i have crabs
12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
also depends what kind of fish your feeding, pellets might be a better choice than flakes, i dont know about fish but id rather die than eat salad every day.

i2ik
12-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I feel my fishes frozen cyclop eeze too and they really like it! Other than that, the only food they are eating are mysis shrimps and brine shrimps. I want to introduce them to pellets and flakes so eventually, i will be able to give them more dryfood than frozen.

I am having 5 randall's anthias, mystery wrasse, hawaiian flame wrasse, leopard wrasse and a hippo tang w/ yellow belly that is eating nothing else than nori...

Chin_Lee
12-11-2007, 03:21 PM
don't feed them until they eat what you want them to eat. sounds mean but it works. I used to have this ref fluff algae that was going out of control in my tank. My tangs wouldn't touch it until I stopped feeding them. 8 days later of fasting, they were chowing down on any red fluff in the tank.
I have some hair algae in my frogspawn and I did the same thing. Placed the frogspawn in my sump where I have a blonde naso and two yellow tangs. Then I stop feeding. Hair algae all gone within a week. I suspect it was the naso that ate it though.
The only problem is the small fishes that you also have in the tanks like firefish and small clowns. I suspect they will get weak after a long fast so target feeding them may be required.

i2ik
12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks! i might have to go that road, i guess it would work even if its sounds mean. i might just feed them the flakes and pellets i want them to eat and i hope that eventually, they will start eating them! I am often at school and would really like to rely on an autofeeder when i am not home.

fishmaster
12-11-2007, 06:49 PM
You can get freeze dried cycop-eze in powder or flake. You could mix that with some formula pellets and see what happens. If they already eat the frozen cyclop-eze, they should take to the freeze dried stuff.

Or, try soaking a few formula pellets and/or freeze dried cyclop-eze in your frozen food before feeding. If they eat them, slowly change the ratio until you get them eating all dried food.

i2ik
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
fishmaster: thats a really good trick! I will try it out. I have the flake cyclop eeze and the frozen one but they dont seem to be interested in the flake. Only my clownfish up to now have shown good apetite no matter if its frozen or not. I see the anthias take a bit from time to time, but ended up spitting it out.

fishoholic
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
We feed mostly PE mysis but we got our fish eating pellets by soaking them together with the mysis in the same container.