PDA

View Full Version : peppermint shrimp(yes or no)

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 02:58 AM
I am leaning towards these shrimp but still not 100% so if any bad exsperiance with these critters I would like to hear

hillbillyreefer
12-11-2007, 03:02 AM
I've got them in both my tanks. I bought them for aiptasia control and they worked good for that. The only bad thing I've seen them do is steal food from my corals, but I think all shrimp do that. Neat to watch.

Chaloupa
12-11-2007, 03:05 AM
I have them in several of my tanks and I am thankful for them....I gotta agree the only thing I have seen them do "wrong" is steal food from corals .... they are a neat shrimp though

PoonTang
12-11-2007, 03:30 AM
after they finished eating all my aptasia :biggrin: they ate 2 colonies of frogspawn :sad:

Chowder
12-11-2007, 04:19 AM
The ones I have had only ate aptasia.

surgeonfish
12-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Mine only ate aiptasia.

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 06:38 AM
after they finished eating all my aptasia :biggrin: they ate 2 colonies of frogspawn :sad:
This is why I am hesitant about them.Once there in there in.I no lots of good things written about them but that one bad thing keeps popping up.Any other bad exsperiances out there

skylord
12-11-2007, 07:19 AM
I bought five of them and all aptasia was gone in about 2 weeks. 3 disappeared shortly after that never to be seen again. The two that are left have been in there about a year and they don't like aptasia. I think these two thieves are also murders. And they dont earn their keep.

Scott

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 08:42 AM
What I get out of everybodys remarks is that they work for aiptasia but can damage coral.I think for myself is battle the aiptasia with joe juice and if it gets out of hand use peppermint shrimp then try and get them out of the tank later.I thank you all for your good honest opinions and I am glad I posted this here.

LeeR
12-11-2007, 01:56 PM
mine eats Bristleworm aswell as aptasia but now that thats all gone it eats food from my corals. (its really annoying)

Joe Reefer
12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Mine didn't eat aiptasia. You have to make sure you get Lysmata Wurdemanni not Lysmata Californica. I suspect the latter is what I had.

DanG
12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
mine are great little community shrimp, never had an issue with them.

Johnny Reefer
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm close to swearing by them, but not quite there yet. I used to have bad aiptasia. Got some P'mints and also zapped with Joe's. Aiptasia on right side of tank was under control. Aiptasia on left side of tank became rampant again. Had a Coral Banded Shrimp on left side. They are known to prey on P'mints. Thus, I believe I did not have P'mints on left side. CBS probably ate them. Removed CBS to sump. Removed all LR from left side and scrubbed. Returned LR and added 7 new P'mints. This is going back about two months now. Some aiptasia I missed during the scrub reappeared. (P'mints won't eat big ones). Continued Joe Juicing the big ones. Slowly winning the battle. I'm planning on getting more P'mints. Have a nice big Frogspawn on left side that is thriving. I want to establish an army of P'mints. Maybe 30 or so. Right now I have about 10. Tank is a 180.
The experiment continues.

Cheers,

Drock169
12-12-2007, 04:06 AM
I had a pair they seemed to keep aiptasia under control still had to joes juice some, but then they started attacking my xenia's.