PDA

View Full Version : Dead Cleaner Shrimp?

Clown
12-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Well yesterday i picked up a new cleaner shrimp
Later that night i noticed that it was upside down,
And i wasnt sure if it was still living or what so i left in in there i woke up the next morning and it was gone nothing there at all,
all i have in the tank is 2 clowns and a sand sifter goby
so i picked one up today
and same thing but i found it on its side kinda tunked behind a rock
Are they dead or what?
My salinity is at .19 and all my levels are fine any ideas?

DanG
12-11-2007, 02:18 AM
how did you acclimate them? How long, drip method, etc.

Clown
12-11-2007, 03:01 AM
how did you acclimate them? How long, drip method, etc.

Yes I first Set them in my sump for about 15 minutes
Then drip for about half hour and poped em in watched for about 5 minutes to see how they were doing then left

Clown
12-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Well I just went over to big al's to get them to check my water to make sure my test strips are still good and my water is basicly Screwed in every thing so Nvm

Salmon King
12-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Acclimation is very hard with these.My friend said he bought 30 of them and they never lived more then a day.How did you acclimate them.He said the lady said just float them a half hour then dump them in tank.You have to take your time with these.I will take at least 1 hour adding water to the bag slowly.They are very hardy once they are in your tank.You dont half to float if your acclimating slowly as this is added stress they dont need

michika
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Its your salinity. Shrimp require a higher salinity of approximately 1.024 to survive. You may want to consider slowly raising your salinity to a more appropriate level.

GMGQ
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
You sure what you saw was a DB and not it's molted exoskeleton? Maybe he's hiding still...?

Swags
12-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I agree with Catherine, your salinity is way too low. Slowly over 2-4 weeks, bring it up to .24. .19 is way too low. Salmon Kings advice is on the money as well, slow acclimatation procedures for shrimp is a must.

Cheers,
Phil