PDA

View Full Version : HQI Lighting

Dez
01-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Anybody ever DIY? I have 3 250 w HQI ballast and 3 sets of sockets and 3 10K Aqualine Bushke bulbs...

But one thing I'm concerned about is that it needs a UV filtering glass right? Does this glass need to be tempered? Is it a special kind of glass? Anybody have any experience?

Thanks...

And if the glass needs to be tempered, is it costly?

Thanks..

Des

Delphinus
01-31-2003, 04:21 PM
$3000 per pane. You better just give the stuff to me.

PS. YES, lots of people DIY. I suggest you do a search on RC, you will find TONNES of info on the subject. :)

jgoldsney
01-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Hey Dez...

Where did ya scoop the HQI stuff from?
I was considering this type of setup at one pont in time but never actualy did anything about it.

I saw a DIY post on RC way back where someone mounted them in the housings for those 500W halogen flood lights you can get from HD

Joel

Dez
01-31-2003, 06:34 PM
I traded a box of vho bulbs for them...a friend of mine...he decided to go with vho's instead...all the stuff is new cause he's just doing a softies tank. He didn't go as far as researching the type of glass.... so that's my job...

I read that thread on RC, I might try it...

Des

Delphinus
01-31-2003, 07:11 PM
The 500W halogen fixtures are probably OK for the 150W sizes but if you read those threads -- I think you'll find that they're not really suitable for the 250W lamps because there's simply too much heat. Lamp size may also be an issue, the halogens are roughly the same dimensions as the 150W but the 250W's are larger. BTW you're not supposed to cool those bulbs, so you need to have a proper heat sink. (There should be several threads actually ... not just one ... that's why I said to do a search on RC ... you'll find LOTS of info there, all you need to know.. including discussions about what glass to use.)

Good luck.

Dez
01-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks Tony,

Actually the 3 ballasts and bulbs are already in a fixture. This guy had his company make a 6 foot fixture almost identical to the aqauline bushke aquaspace lights. The only thing missing is the glass. They are in a stainless steel curved fixture which I might powdercoat...

All I really want is the glass....

I also have a 150 watt ballast and socket assembly with a 6500k HQI bulb..

I will have to search more...

Thanks Tony..

Des

StirCrazy
01-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Dez, get 1/8th glass, and get it tempered to be safe.. it should cost you about 10 bucks..

Steve

Dez
01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
That cheap eh? Wow....I'll have to check prices around here... The glass is going to be about 4 ft though, and about 6" wide... Might be a bit more..

Des

Canadian Man
01-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Did you suddenly get internet at your house or something Des?
Or are you just slacking off at work :lol:

Dez
01-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Jonathan Jonathan....

This is work (research)...don't you wish you had my job...snicker snicker... :) :D

Hey....wait a minute...aren't you supposed to be at work now?

Des

Canadian Man
01-31-2003, 09:47 PM
:lol: Desmond, Desmond, Desmond :lol:
dont you wish you had my Job!!!
I get to do "Work related research" :shock: every day!

I am at work