PDA

View Full Version : marine betta

Salmon King
12-10-2007, 04:21 AM
A fellow phoned me and said he was sold a marine betta.I told him take it out.One fish site said reef safe with caution other said no.Does anybody have this fish in there reef

Chin_Lee
12-10-2007, 04:27 AM
I personally feel the term "reef safe" is broadly overused. Stores should start referring to the fish as:
LPS safe
SPS safe
Coral safe (for both sps/lps)
Invert safe

I believe bettas are coral safe but not invert safe (nor small fish safe)

Salmon King
12-10-2007, 04:44 AM
He had lots shrimp/crabs /snails and little fish

surgeonfish
12-10-2007, 04:45 AM
I personally feel the term "reef safe" is broadly overused. Stores should start referring to the fish as:
LPS safe
SPS safe
Coral safe (for both sps/lps)
Invert safe

I believe bettas are coral safe but not invert safe (nor small fish safe)

I agree. They are not invert safe. I think it is hard to refer to fish according to the above categories as individual fish can be quite unpredictable as to what they will eat or pick on.

Snappy
12-10-2007, 04:46 AM
I think it is hard to refer to fish according to the above categories as individual fish can be quite unpredictable as to what they will eat or pick on.
Agreed. Many fish are hit & miss as far as what they will really behave like, although I have had one in my refugium/softie tank for almost a year and he has never been a problem with any fish, corals or inverts that I can keep track of. I believe they are actually in the grouper family however mine is extremely timid. It's one of my favorite fish.

reptile guy
12-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I have one in my reef tank with cleaner shrimps and hermits and it has never even remotely went after any of them or any of my small chromis or gobies. The other people that I've known to keep them have had the same experiences I've had which makes you wonder how they ever survive in the wild being as timid as they are lol. I'm sure they're not 100% reef safe but fairly close to it plus also being probably the hardiest fish I've ever come across and as beautiful as they are I think I will always have one in my tank

Salmon King
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I saved one from a store once and had him in a fish only years ago.All was fine till one day he took a liking to my clowns this was after he was in the tank for some time.Maybe he was just bad one

Quinster
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I have one in my LPS - Softie tank, it doesn't bother hermits or snails, but I did watch it sneak attack 2 medium cleaner shrimp before they could go from the bag they were floating in to the sand bed below.

Darn expensive feeding! :redface:

reptile guy
12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
I think if the cleaners are introduced first then they're likely to be fine but if added after then it probably just thinks it's feeding time lol

I have one in my LPS - Softie tank, it doesn't bother hermits or snails, but I did watch it sneak attack 2 medium cleaner shrimp before they could go from the bag they were floating in to the sand bed below.

Darn expensive feeding! :redface: