PDA

View Full Version : hood airflow

milesj250
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
is it a good idea to pull fresh air in from outdoors to cool lights and send it back out doors?

bassman
12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
is it a good idea to pull fresh air in from outdoors to cool lights and send it back out doors?

For sure, not only to help keep things cool but also to have a fresh oxygen supply for the aquarium.

I would filter it if it is coming from outside and make sure it's not too cold. You can easily lower the temp of your tank with little effort if the air is too cold.

I am still pondering having a close looped system for air on my next system, drawing air from outside and pushing it back out again like you are thinking. However I am leaning towards just pulling filtered, cool air from my basement cold room and having it exhaust to the furnace room. I don't know if outside air is totally necessary or not, still reading/searching.

mark
12-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Guess depends where you are and what type of setup but does seem like lots of effort unless you're planning a large tank and expecting heat humidity problems in your house.

I'm doing sort of what Bassman is considering, pushing cool air from the basement through ducting to the hood them it just exits from the other side. Main reason for the lay out no extra wiring to hood and can have a large fan where I don't heard it when sitting by the tank.

milesj250
12-10-2007, 01:32 AM
in the winter the basement is around 23 c because i use a pellets stove to heat the house.right now i use a lot of top up water and i have to truck my fish water in (high sulphur at home), i hope outside air will help with evap.i will be going from 350 w to about 1000 w of light and i want to help cut down on water i bring home. the in coming air will be coming from under the deck my tool room. i live on Vancouver island and we don't get a winter here, so i think out side air temp should not be a problem.

mark
12-10-2007, 02:48 AM
1000w in 23 deg room, I understand.

The cooler outside air will help but moving air over the water you'll still be getting evaporation. A chiller and a closed hood would save water.

milesj250
12-11-2007, 02:59 AM
ya the chiller is up on the list of things i need, but it is the winter now.