PDA

View Full Version : CA Reactor, What method do you use to get water to it!

Jason McK
12-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I've been using gravity from the main tank. For about 4 years now. I have found the tube clogs and if you don't notice it right away you can experience drops in levels. So I'm looking for a better way. I've heard people use power heads but not sure how that works.

Any suggestions
J

steve fedyk
12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I use gravity to feed my reactor too, but I use 1/2 line and hopefully that wont clog.

michika
12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I used to use gravity feed, and constantly experienced clogging. I now use a maxi-jet pump to feed it.

BMW Rider
12-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I have a 1/4" line tapped into the return line from the sump. No issues except where the refugium light was promoting algae growth inside it. Covered it with a black tubing sleeve and all's well.

christyf5
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I have a 1/4" line tapped into the return line from the sump.

Ditto

Delphinus
12-09-2007, 08:18 PM
I've never been able to get a reliable flowrate using gravity - or, for that matter, using a 1/4" line tapped on the sump return line. I actually blew apart a reactor once because I had the feed come off the sump return line and had a needle valve on the output of the reactor instead of the input. I thought "no way can 4' of head pressure be a problem" guess I was wrong.

And having the needle valve on the input drove me crazy because I'd set it to one thing, check it a couple of hours later and it would be something completely different.

The most reliable method I've found so far, out of the ghetto methods that is, is to have the needle valve on the output, and a small powerhead on the input line. The powerhead just pressures up the line ever so slightly to promote a steady flowrate, but can't push enough pressure to create a problem in the reactor.

A variation on this theme is to use an Aqualifter pump. Looks like an air pump but is used on water. Again, just pressurizes the lines enough to push flow but not enough to create a pressure problem (leaking flanges or broken seams).

The best way IMO is to use a metering pump. But some reactors create a siphon so that impacts your choice of pump - a piston pump won't stop a siphon. If you have a siphon your best bet is probably a peristaltic pump. The Aquamedic dosing pumps are inexpensive but fixed flowrate. So for about $100 you can have a guaranteed 50ml/min flowrate.

If you want to go an extra step and have adjustability, there are lab grade peristaltic pumps that offer a variable flowrate. Basically the motors are DC so you vary the voltage to vary the speed of the pump head rotating. Plus there are different pump heads that can be swapped out that give you different flowrate ranges (ie, smaller tubing versus larger tubing, or diameter of the pump head itself - ie. the more distance the rollers travel per rotation - the more volume dispensed per rotation). Problem is these are a little bit spendy. Retail on these suckers new is like $1000 but you can find deals on ebay. Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Masterflex-7520-35-Peristaltic-Pump-with-Quick-Load-He_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ200162085812
(You have to search on something like "peristaltic" or "Masterflex 7520" every week or so. This one is a good example of a good deal on a pump, but they charged way too much for shipping - but I've seen these pumps on average go for around $80-100 and usually around $40 for shipping - I guess they're heavy and bulky).

Tom R
12-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Jason

I use to use a gravity feed from my overflow. I was continually having to clear the line as little snails would find their way in the 1/4" line and plug it. This would happen about every 2 weeks or so.

I now use a MJ 600 out of my sump to supply the reactor with an air valve to control the flow of the effluent. No more snail problems (at least with my calcium reactor).

Tom R

Aquattro
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I use a small pump (~20GPH) designed for those little table top fountain setups. Works great.

mark
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Tapped into my return line as well and using 1/4" JG fitting and valve. Valve is before the reactor so reactor itself is not pressurized. Drip stays constant for weeks before might need a little readjusting.

Jason McK
12-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks All. I guess I find a small pump. And hook it up

Thanks again
J

untamed
12-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I use a peristaltic pump (fixed rate 120ml/min) connected to the Aquatronica. Right now it is set to come on for 1 minute, every 2 minutes. This provides a flow rate of 55ml/min. (120ml for the first minute, 0ml for the next minute) Flow is controlled by varying the time on/off by the second.

Here's the pump I use. This CDN company has been easy to work with and delivers promptly.

http://www.omega.ca/shop/pptsc.asp?ref=FPU100&Nav=grel07

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436&page=8

I use a slightly smaller version of the same pump to push water through the Kalk reactor in the exact same way. For both pumps, I went to RP Electronics and purchased a holding box and power cord to wire them up with.

For you, the trick is to purchase the correct size of pump. Measure your current flow in ml/min, then purchase one that is exactly what you want (run it continuously)..or get a larger one and cycle it on/off for adjustable control.

Murminator
12-10-2007, 04:22 AM
I use the aqua lifter lift pump works great

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/30_113/products_id/1926