PDA

View Full Version : Temperature

Canuckgod420
12-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I would like to know what kind of temperature fluctuations you all get in your tanks, from daytime to nighttime.
The reason I ask is cause my tank goes from 77.5 to 78.5-79 at times and am wondering if this is too much.
I'm going crazy trying to sync my heater with my chiller...
Am I being to anal about the fluctuation or what?
Thanks

Aquattro
12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Rob, that's fine. Stop worrying :)

Canuckgod420
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks Brad

Skimmerking
12-09-2007, 04:38 AM
mine has been sitty around 77 and it dropped to 75 this morning but nothing worst then that I hope

Carrera75
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I would like to know what kind of temperature fluctuations you all get in your tanks, from daytime to nighttime.
The reason I ask is cause my tank goes from 77.5 to 78.5-79 at times and am wondering if this is too much.
I'm going crazy trying to sync my heater with my chiller...
Am I being to anal about the fluctuation or what?
Thanks

Relax buddy...the temperature in my tank goes from 75 at night rising slowly to 81 when the lights come on.

Temperature fluctuations are normal. Do you really think the temperature in the ocean is the same 24/7? of coure not...

Skimmerking
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Relax buddy...the temperature in my tank goes from 75 at night rising slowly to 81 when the lights come on.

Temperature fluctuations are normal. Do you really think the temperature in the ocean is the same 24/7? of coure not...

Well I disagree with you on that point

Actually in the Ocean you are dealing with millions and millions of gallons of water. and the fluctuations there is slow. You will hardly get a raise in temp of approx 2-3 degrees if that. that is why in our tanks there will and can be a major jump. And hafter awhile your temp moving up and down will start to affect your live stock and corals. like the tang family the hippo;s ,achillies, powder brown dont like to have a temp swing. Ick will pop over them in no time...

Aquattro
12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
As I always bring up in these discussions, my tank fluctuated 10 degrees per day for an entire summer until I got my chiller. The only thing stressed by it was me! Now certainly we want to keep it "stable" , but 1 or 2 degrees is nothing to concern yourself with.

PoonTang
12-09-2007, 09:19 PM

Actually in the Ocean you are dealing with millions and millions of gallons of water. and the fluctuations there is slow. You will hardly get a raise in temp of approx 2-3 degrees if that. that is why in our tanks there will and can be a major jump. And hafter awhile your temp moving up and down will start to affect your live stock and corals. like the tang family the hippo;s ,achillies, powder brown dont like to have a temp swing. Ick will pop over them in no time...

take it from someone that lives on the ocean- a temperature swing of 2-3 degrees is nothing. all it takes is a simple tide change and then the water that is flowing over the reef changes from warm lagoon water to cold deep ocean water. I notice it everytime i go swimming.

marie
12-09-2007, 10:04 PM

If you want it right from the horses the mouth, there is a guy in the phillipines who has been testing the temp of the water for years. The amount of fluctuation might surprise you. He says the average difference between night and day time is about 4 degrees

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/reeftour.html

The whole site is worth a look

Skimmerking
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
well there you have it right from the horses mouth. I will shut up :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
"Sea-horses" I presume:biggrin:

marie
12-10-2007, 01:47 AM
"Sea-horses" I presume:biggrin:

Is there any other kind :razz: