PDA

View Full Version : Saturday morning sucks

digital-audiophile
12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
So at 5:00 this morning my wife wakes me up (she was just in checking the baby because she was stirring) she said there was a strange noise coming from the basement and that I should check it out. Well as it turns out my sump had cracked and drained 75% of the water and the return pump was running dry so that was the noise she heard.

The saving grace is that my sump sits in my furnace room and is plumbed into the main tank through the wall so the water simply drained into the floor drain. So I guess my quick fix today is to take an empty 30G tank I have and turn it into a sump. and re plumb.. I guess this is finally the motivation to finally plumb in the 60G cube that has been sitting empty next to my sump for a long time. I've got it on the stand and I bought all the plumbing from western pump a couple weeks back so I have my Saturday project :)

Snappy
12-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah that is a pain but it sounds like it could have been much worse.

Tangman
12-08-2007, 03:40 PM
THAT DOES SUCK !!
Sorry to hear about your problems, but at least its Saturday.....we all had these mornings ....mine was on a week day and had to take a day off work and loose a days pay aswell

calkrog
12-08-2007, 03:53 PM
i feel for ya man....

digital-audiophile
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM
So I got rest of the water from the old sump drained and moved out of the room. I'm going to let the floor dry a bit from the dumped water before I get the new sump and tank up in their new spot.

If nothing else this was a good opportunity to give my skimmer/return pump/phosban reactor a good solid cleaning.

I'm going to head up to Golds and see Albert to order the new 90G I have been wanting, the one I have right now is starting to look a little a little worse for wear (the silicone seams to be flaking) and after this morning and only dumping ~20G of water I don't want the main tank to split and drop 90 gallons and kill all my livestock.

Delphinus
12-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey, sorry to hear that. Been there done that. What a pain! But glad it wasn't worse for you. If you want to borrow a dehumidifier to help dry things out let me know.

digital-audiophile
12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the offer Tony :) I have a portable air conditioner with a dehumidifier function on it and I have it running in the basement.