PDA

View Full Version : rampant ich

Salmon King
12-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I have seen quite an outbreak of ich lately in reef tanks.It is quite a nasty strain. I think it mite be coming in on corals.Any opinions as all the petstores use the same wholesalers.

howdy20012002
12-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Not all petstores use the same wholesalers..
there are lots and lots of wholesalers out there...guaranteed most stores in Vancouver get direct shipments in from Indonesia...most inland ones can't because they won't ship here...it has to go thru one of the many wholesalers on the coast.
I had a nasty batch last shipment...took out a few of my wrasses.
Neal

Salmon King
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Not all petstores use the same wholesalers..
there are lots and lots of wholesalers out there...guaranteed most stores in Vancouver get direct shipments in from Indonesia...most inland ones can't because they won't ship here...it has to go thru one of the many wholesalers on the coast.
I had a nasty batch last shipment...took out a few of my wrasses.
Neal

I know a few wholesalers here and they rederect all across Canada

howdy20012002
12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I get my stuff from the states..as I am sure other stores do as well.
Neal

howdy20012002
12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
about the ich coming in on the coral...interesting.
not sure if it could..
from what I have read, it drops to the bottom of tank after it comes of the fish..then can remain like that for up to a month.(sorta like a hibernation)
this is the stage where it would be on the corals if anytime...I just don't know if it sticks to things or does it just rest on the ground? if it just rests on the ground then I can't see it being able to come in on Corals. If it somehow attaches itself, then maybe it could attach to the corals.
after this hibernation period, it than starts to swim around till it finds a host...if it can't find a host, then it dies.
it could be that the wholesalers have the ich in the water stream and are shipping the ich in the water itself.
I dunno.
Neal

EmilyB
12-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Im going to :agrue: and :rolleyes: A nasty strain of ich... :question:

Ich is ich. Get over it. As most heathly fish can.

Salmon King
12-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Ich isnt ich.There are several different strains.Nomatter how healthy your fish is if they get velvet( type of ich) and are not treated they are dead in a few days.I have seen whole tanks wiped out overnight and many of hours trying to save them.Even copper is not very affective.Formaldihyde based medications only thing that works on this.