PDA

View Full Version : Sand for RDSB

Skimmerking
12-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Well I have a acrylic tank that im going to use for a external RDSB and was wondering what sand can I use I was going to try and get some sand from Home depot. will this stuff work or is there a certain play sand that i can or Can't use... the tank is 24 lx15wx12h and how much should I use for this... where I have the tank is pre drilled at the top with a strianer and a bulkhead...

Aquattro
12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
What is the purpose of the RDSB? Ideally, you want aragonite sand, sugar sized for a DSB. Home Depot sand isn't ideal. In some parts of the US they carry aragonite, but not here.

jslaney
12-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Ya, I am pretty sure normal sand is mostly quarts that has loads of silica. Silica means diatoms as far as I know. You deffinitly want something limestone based.

Try a company called Target. They sell a whole line of different types of sands. Vancouver based I think.

Doug
12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
What is the purpose of the RDSB?

Nitrate reduction.

Ideally, you want aragonite sand, sugar sized for a DSB. Home Depot sand isn't ideal. In some parts of the US they carry aragonite, but not here.

There were several articles on using play sand. Many agreed it was just as good but when Mike asked me about it, I mentioned I once read something about some brands that were not. I cant remember exactly what it was though.

Yes, aragonite is better, although way more costly and unlike you guys in the larger city,s we have to go on the hunt for it and drive 200 clicks to find any. If its not used for buffering, then whats the difference?

I need to go search & find some articles on it, as like you, I dont know which is any good either. :smile:

hawk
12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I have been wanting to do this for awhile now but haven't been able to find any alternatives to aragonite (need about 500lbs.) Rona sells a couple different brands of playsand. I called both distributors, one told me their sand comes from a quarry in Seachelt and is pulverized igneous rock. The second distributor from Ontario said that their playsand comes from different quarries across Canada and wasn't really able to tell me much other than it is safe for kids. If you find a good alternative in Canada let us know.

Doug
12-07-2007, 08:59 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1079891&highlight=play+sand

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1035604&highlight=play+sand

Just a couple links I found so far.