PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm and Monti snail eaters

andresont
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Not sure if below is true or not but makes sence .
I use to have 6 litle sexy shrimps in my Nano and these guys would love to munch on SPS so i had to take em out. I have a cleaner shrimp in my reef now and it goes for stomatella snails (fun to watch). I think shrimps need to be hungry though, because if you feed your fish then shrimp will get a lot too and will not be interested in the smaller/harder to get foods.
camel shrimps may work too IMO.
Thought i would post that for the SPS lovers.
thx

Flatworm and Monti snail eaters
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/index.php?article_id=52&clang=1

Very annoying the small beasts! Acropora and Montipora are becoming pale, colorless and the tissue is getting thinner and thinner until it completely dies. Acropora flatworms and Monti snails are dangerous enemies for our corals!

As iodine bathing of the corals is rather time consuming, have to be repeated several times and are highly stressing the coral which is already damaged by the pest we tried something new: A cleaning station for the corals!

Within 30 to 60 minutes the shrimp Rhynchocinetes durbanensis cleans the corals completely in our separate shrimp tank. Acropora flatworms as well as their eggs and Montipora snails are eaten completely.

Caution: We recommend to keep the shrimp separately in another tank, because the shrimp will eat the coral tissue as well after all flatworms, eggs and snails are eaten. If the coral remains a whole day in the shrimp tank, the complete tissue also is munched! The coral hence should remain only 30 to 60 minutes in the cleaning station and then back into the coral tank.

GMGQ
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
So are those Peppermint Shrimp or Camelback?

Kalifornia
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
They are camelback shrimp

andresont
12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
So are those Peppermint Shrimp or Camel back?

yes Germans are talking about Camel Back shrimp

Rhynchocinetes durbanensis (http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Rhynchocinetes+durbanensis&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2)