PDA

View Full Version : Feeding SPS question

mark
12-06-2007, 05:53 AM
For those who feed their SPS, looking to get an idea what seems to work and how often to feed.

Snappy
12-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Mark,
If you have good strong lighting, sps as a rule will feed from the carbohydrates (starches & sugars) produced during photosynthesis by the zooxanthelae they host. Bacterias and amino acids are IMO some of the best other food sources they feed on both directly and indirectly. Too long of a story to explain how it all works. Anyway, I think lighting and flow are what you should be concerned about for now.

Aquattro
12-06-2007, 07:09 AM
I've fed my acros with various foods over the years, and while it's cool watching them eat, I'm not sure I saw any noticeable difference in any aspect of them. As Greg said, they re mostly self sufficient in their feeding, given proper lighting and water quality. But, I didn't see any harm in it, so I'll probably still feed once in a while, once I have some corals to feed again. :)

Puff
12-06-2007, 08:06 AM
what do you feed your sps?

i use coral frenzy and reef roids, but im not sure if that is right or not. i know my softies like it.

andresont
12-06-2007, 08:32 AM
reef roids here as well
dont like frenzy though it lives nasty film on the serfice.
Roids are good for all in terms of particle size including Gorgonians and Gonioporas. I mix it with Fauna Marin Clam food and bacteria.

totally agree on the flow and water quality first- light second -food third.

mark
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, getting good growth but my colours still a little muted that's why wondering.

Believe setup should be okay (145g with 2x250W MH and 4600gph) started keeping Ca and Alk up by making sure change water is on (correcting low Ca and Mg as IO low right from the pail) then maintaining with reactor and now running carbon full-time. Am seeing the colours improving but looking for that extra edge.

Joe Reefer
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I feed my fish and my fish feed my sps.

Snappy
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Reefroids are great for softies & LPS but the particle size for the most part is too big for sps.

andresont
12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the replies, getting good growth but my colours still a little muted that's why wondering.

Believe setup should be okay (145g with 2x250W MH and 4600gph) started keeping Ca and Alk up by making sure change water is on (correcting low Ca and Mg as IO low right from the pail) then maintaining with reactor and now running carbon full-time. Am seeing the colours improving but looking for that extra edge.

This is all good .
if you want colors get on ZEO or silmilar system (http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop/products-technology/zeovit-basic-water-maintenance/index.html)with intent to lover No3 and Po4. (http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop/products-technology/zeovit-basic-water-maintenance/33_zeostart-2.html) (Ozone and UV is not for these bacterial based systems just FYI)
Food for SPS is last on your list after water quality , flow and lights.
Then dose potassium for better colors

StirCrazy
12-07-2007, 02:27 PM
just to add my two cents, intense light, good water (no nitrates, ect) Ca not to high say 380ish, and Alk up around 11. worked wonders for me, awesome colors and ugly fast growth. how you achieve this is up to you. I didn't do the zovite or what ever it is, I tried feeding for about 1 year, no difference from when I didn't feed. I chose to skim the hell out of it, Kalk reactor and Ca reactor, and a good light set up.

so it sounds like your on the way. also remember anything that claims to color up fast is snake oil, it takes time. the only time I noticed a big fast change in color is when my alk got low, for some reason 8 for alk my color were dull and at 11 they were vibrant and it would change fast enough to let me use my digitata as a alk gage.

Steve

Reefer Rob
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I found feeding corals just polluted the water (tried the Papone thing). My 7" Regal Tang provides plenty of food for my corals anyway. As for color, I noticed a big improvement when I stared dosing Iodine.

Puff
12-07-2007, 06:16 PM
what size food should SPS be getting?

i thought reefroids was good for them :(

maybe it was one of the other foods i bought that had smaller sized food particles.

Aquattro
12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
cyclop-eeze or whatever it's called works well, size wise.

atcguy
12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
fauna marine ultralith is all i add to my tank now. My po4 and nitrate levels are almost to zero now. my water is as clear as air now. and my corals color are taking off. i love this system. about 30 bucks a month i bet on my 120 sps tank.