PDA

View Full Version : Spent $40 on fish I never see...

asherah
12-06-2007, 02:39 AM
My lubbocks wrasse use to be buddy buddy with my clown fish and was out swimming around now he just hides.
My royal gramma has hid from day 1. I saw her when I moved a rock a few weeks ago and I haven't seen her since.

I'm rather annoyed that I spent $40 on fish I never see =( I didn't read anything about them hiding all the time when I researched them =/

Any advice on getting them to come out ?

asherah

MikeP
12-06-2007, 03:51 AM
How long have they been in there? Sometimes you have to be patient as a new fish can hide for weeks before getting used to the tank (more so with a small tank)

asherah
12-06-2007, 04:18 AM
I think they have been in there for about a month and a 1/2 or more..
Can it take that long for them to get used to the tank ?

asherah

skylord
12-06-2007, 04:59 AM
You may need to find where the gramma is nesting and move that rock to the front. Very slowly...like an inch a day. They can be very shy and very protective of their nest.

Scott

Delphinus
12-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Hoo yeah. I don't want to alarm you but my lubbock's wrasse was the MostIncredibleInvisibleFish for easily 6 months. I saw him fleetingly for the first couple of weeks, then he found, I guess, a hiding spot that was so good I couldn't tell where he was at all. I gave up on several occasions thinking he must have died. Wouldn't even come out for food. After several months he started getting more comfortable to come out and be seen.

tang daddy
12-06-2007, 05:10 AM
I have a pipefish that I never see and a few other things like a jawfish so I wouldn't feel bad maybe the rg comes out at night when the moonlights come on!

asherah
12-06-2007, 06:21 AM
maybe I should sit with a flashlight at night ;p
I dont know where they are hiding.. I've moved the rocks around and still haven't seen them.

asherah

hillbillyreefer
12-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Off topic. How have you progressed with the water troubles you were having?

BC564
12-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I have a Dottyback that does the same thing.....she comes out now once in a while.....when I was setting up the rock in the new tank....I took out all the rock.....left the fish in there and carefully was arranging it......the fish was inside a chunk of rock in a hole....and was out of the water for about 10-15 minutes....finally flopped out on my island......i picked her up and put her in the tank.....she said thanks and now she is seen more.......it was pretty cool how they go inside the rock

asherah
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM
wow. who knew they could live that long out of the water.

yes water problems are all fixed ! realized I put nitrate sponge in the phosban reactor and not phosban so switched it.
Everyday you could see it getting less and less green now it's nice and clear!
=)

asherah