PDA

View Full Version : What are/is your favorite fish?

kwirky
12-05-2007, 05:28 AM
What are some of your favorite fish you keep/have kept and why? Any oldie but goodies? Any "exotic" fish you own/have owned that you absolutely love? Any impulse purchases that didn't have a lot of thought which turned out to be favorites?

I'll talk about two of my favorites... The lawnmower blenny and the cinnamon clown.

I had done a fair bit of research about lawnmower blennies and absolutely HAD to have one. I love the way they look and their behavior. I bought one from somone on the forums and was so excited to see it's behavior in my tank. Unfortunately it jumped out of my open tank 2 days later :(. I SO want another but I know it'll happen again in my current open topped tank...

My other favorite was the cinnamon clowns. They looked nice and all but the reason I liked them was because of how aggressive they were towards me. I think the "relationship" I built with them was strong. I'd be working in the tank and they'd draw blood... I repeatedly had my mom (and some of the people who bought livestock off me) chase them off with the algae wand as I had my hands in the tank. Nasty little buggers but I honestly missed them when the 120g was taken down :(. I forget the name of the person who bought them off me (you bought things off me a few times). Let me know how they're doing...

So what are some of the favorite fish you've kept, and why?

Delphinus
12-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Hard to nail down to a specific one or two, but here's a few of my favourites:

Fairy wrasses - I've had 4. I love these fish. Stay small, gorgeous colours, nice disposition, totally reef friendly. A little shy and long time to get unshy I found. My first was a C. rubriventralis (see pic below), common name "red fairy wrasse". Had the nicest red colour and these blue irridescent dots that would come and go depending on his mood. Plus, he had these really neat fins. I lost him when I moved houses. :( It turns out I've lost fish every time I've had to move my ritteri (it releases something as some kind of defence mechanism).

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/redwrasse3.jpg http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/redwrasse4.jpg http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/redwrasse5.jpg

I had a lubbock's wrasse. Very pretty fish. Unfortunately I don't seem to have any pictures. Lost this fish to the anemone as well.

My potter's angel is a darling... Just a great personality. She mimics the behaviours of the fish around her .. it's really neat to see. Actually I had another potter's that would do the same sorts of thing. I thought it was pretty clever. I unfortunately lost the first potters in another anemone moving incident. :(
Here's the one I currently have.
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/20070916/potters.jpg

My Z. desjardini sailfin tang .. I dunno, I just love this guy. He's been with me 5 years now.
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/20070831/desjardini1.jpg

Oh and I'm totally with you on the lawnmower blenny. I had "Rygel" (Farscape fans? Catch the reference?) entertaining many a visitor with his antics, what a personality. If I cleaned the outside of the glass he would chase the cloth away and wouldn't give up trying to bully it until the "invader" left. :lol: He lived for me for just over 4 years. I'm not sure what their livespan is but I think he may actually have succumed to old age. It was a lot like old age towards the end.
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/rygel03.JPG

kwirky
12-05-2007, 06:06 AM
was your tank open or closed topped when you had the lawnmower blenny? If open how tall was it, and where did the blenny hang out usually?

Delphinus
12-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Close topped/canopy. Mostly he hung out perched on or in the rockwork somewhere ... he'd swim but as soon as he'd stop, he'd sink to the bottom.

Salmon King
12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
I like the Flame hawk.Very neet personality

Aquattro
12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Niger Trigger is my all time fave. My Yellow Tang was a great fish, she was with me almost 9 years

cav~firez22
12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Mine would have to be a Male Blonde Naso.

Havent had one yet, but will get one as soon as a LFS has one.

Another is a clown trigger, but again, havent had one due to a reef setup.

goby1
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Valentini puffer. Very cool fish. Great "personality" and he got along well in his fish community. Loved his eye movements. My tank has an open top though and he jumped during the last power outage. I was aerating the tank with a whisk and it must have freaked him out. I want to replace him but I've heard they are known jumpers ...

Finaddict
12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
powerblue tang-i love these tangs - but will never keep one again

Joe Reefer
12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
I have so many favorite fish.

michika
12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Red Sea Sailfin tang (RIP) is an awesome fish, lots of personality, and a little quirky. Always put on a show, flashing, etc. when there were new people in the house.

I really love my Regal tang too, she/it/he is currently being babysat, but the best part was how it would always incite the other fish to come out and swim, as well as to eat algae off a pvc stick.

In the end for me its all about personality.

Chin_Lee
12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
My favourite is the Achilles Tang........ I find them just so intriguing to look at. They have such much attitudes but yet so elegant.

Tom R
12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I love my Majestic Angels and I now have a few Wasses that have the most exquisite colour, but for interest, colour and attitude you can not beat the Dottyback,s. I have a Neon Dottyback in one tank and a Orchid Dottyback in the other tank and they are one of the most interesting fish you will find.

Tom R

DanG
12-05-2007, 04:49 PM
I have to concur with the lawnmower blenny, the 2 that I had were great fish with a ton of personality, One ended up eating nori sheets from my hand, but then one day decided to check out the outside of the tank. It didn't end well.