PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine 750 - Rotating Return Device

ReefVan
01-30-2003, 02:43 AM
Wolverine 750 - Rotating Return Device

:D Hi Everyone,

Well the past few weeks have seen a slowdown in Reef-Rat 1.0 prototyping re-design as I fix some things that I just wasn't happy with and incorporate those changes we all discussed here. After all, if I'm not happy with it, neither will you! :wink:

In the meantime my new KW Nilsen Reactor with mechanical stirrer is progressing in my workshop at 75% completion. Sweet unit!

After that, one of those neat dual chamber Calcium Reactors...

Now to the meaty stuff. I've discussed a new rotating return unit concept with some reef buddies here in Montreal and have received a very warm reception to the idea. It's real cold here so thinking up all this new stuff keeps us nice and warm. :wink:

Here we go, Self Contained Rotating Return Unit (SCRRU), or "Wolverine" as I call it. Some people might think the acronym for the first description to be rather derogatory.

Basically here it is, "the mating of a popular high output pump with a rotating return unit ... into one neat compact package ... no more hoses, valves, pipes, external pumps ... 0 head pressure, full pump rating ... plus a host of other little goodies and innovations."

So, what is the general reaction, are you interested in a Rotating Return Unit with an integrated 750 gph pump or not? :idea:

Please respond so we can see just how much effort I need to put into this project. More flow, more flow!!!!!!!

By the way, I checked tonight and it'll all fit in that Reef-Rat/Sea-Squirrel enclosure. It'll be tight, but that's alright! :wink:

StirCrazy
01-30-2003, 02:51 AM
this sound awsome, but what I worry about is size.. I don;t have the room for a sea swirl to sit on the edge of my tank and such.. so if this could be made to sit behind a tank and the part over the tank was kept to a minamum it would be awsome.

Steve

ReefVan
01-30-2003, 02:59 AM
:D Steve,

What do you mean? Couldn't you put this unit on an acrylic support in one of your tanks 4 inner corners?

The acrylic support rests on the inner flange of the tanks plastic molding and requires only 2 sides to hold it in a horizontal position.

StirCrazy
01-30-2003, 03:01 AM
hmm, how big are you thinking?

Steve

ReefVan
01-30-2003, 03:04 AM
:D Steve,

Same size box as a Sea-Swirl 1" unit. It's going to be cramped but I think I can do it.

With the weight of the pump and all I figure it's probably better off on an acrylic support anyway!

Canadian Man
01-30-2003, 03:55 AM
Well I am always intrested in another good DIY! :D
Count me in

Tang_Man_Montreal
01-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Hey there ReefVan...

We've spoken before on RC.

The Wolverine seems like an interesting idea.
I guess there would be an intake line hanging down from the "box" containing the pump? Coupled with a rotating return?

Would the "rotator" be hydrolically driven by the pump? or by the standard electric motor that you've been using?

smokinreefer
01-30-2003, 09:47 PM
sounds like it would be a great unit for a high flow reef tank!

ReefVan
01-31-2003, 12:33 AM
:D Tang_Man_Montreal,

The pump nests into the bottom of the housing and just like the Reef-Rat has a Jet-Nozzle that is electrically driven by a 2 rpm 110vac gear-motor.

The intake, by virtue of the pump sticking out of the bottom of the housing, sits squarely under the water level as well as the Jet-Nozzle, the intake being protected by an intake screen so as not to turn your fish into sushi. :wink:

The Jet-Nozzle is mounted directly on the pump outlet, no extra piping to cut flow.

The pump impeller is accessible for service or replacement by simply turning the unit upside down. It will be self-priming and fully autonomous.

:D smokinreefer,

Flow won't be the word for what this beast is gonna shoot. It will be designed to use a 200, 300, 500 or 700 gph pump.

If the big boys with the larger reefs need it, I can look into making HO, VHO, Extreme and Hurricane versions, basically 950, 1200, 1800 and 2400 gph pumps.

More power, more flow! :shock:

smokinreefer
01-31-2003, 12:52 AM
hmmm....
is this gonna have 750 gph output at high velocity like a powerhead?
or 750 gph output with high flow, like the reeftec and such?

ReefVan
01-31-2003, 12:58 AM
:D smokinreefer,

750 gph high velocity/flow as in Mag 750, close your eyes and think of the chaotic flow... 8)

Now you know what the unit's payload is, hanging under the belly...

If you want a Reef-Tec or such, go for it. This ain't no propeller driven fish-eater. :wink:

Tang_Man_Montreal
01-31-2003, 01:05 AM
Quite interesting indeed!

Keep us posted on the progress...