PDA

View Full Version : Phosban-Phosgaurd

daddy01
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi,
What is the difference between PhosBan and Phosgaurd? Beside manufacturer? Do they remove or control different phosphates?
Jim

fkshiu
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
PhosBAN (made by Two Little Fishes) is granular ferric oxide (GFO).

PhosGUARD (made by Seachem) is aluminum-based.

Both are designed to remove phosphate from the water column and both work. There's been recent concern over the use of PhosGUARD in reef tanks as aluminum has been shown to be harmful to invertebrates.

Other products such as Rowaphos and Phosar are also GFO.

calkrog
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi,
What is the difference between PhosBan and Phosgaurd? Beside manufacturer? Do they remove or control different phosphates?
Jim

same sh*t, different pile. phosguard is rumored to leech phosphates back into water when saturated.

Canuckgod420
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I've used both phosban and Rowaphos and I found that they didnt really work the way I had hoped(maybe expecting too much?)
Now I use UltrapowerPhos by Fauna Marin and I am very impressed...it pulled my phosphate down very quickly and it hasnt changed.
I've had the same medium in my reactor for almost 3 months now and no rise in phosphate. It comes in a 1 litre tub and for my tank I only need to use 100ml...so its gonna last a while.

mark
12-04-2007, 08:29 PM
No first hand experience but there's also the concern of GFO with clams (here (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36137&page=2&highlight=phosphate+clam))