PDA

View Full Version : Dead clam

Doug
12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Purchased a baby derasa a few weeks ago. It had a different pattern than my two larger ones, so thought it would be a nice addition.

Its been perfect until now. Almost tripled in size, great expansion, (Mike was over yesterday and commented on how nice it was doing). Lights come on this morning and its a pile of stringy goo. Just like that. :surprise:

Unbelievable !!

My 3 other clams are all looking fine.

Aquattro
12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Doug, is it possible it had "help" dying?

Doug
12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Doug, is it possible it had "help" dying?

Dont think so. Do you mean pests? I have nothing thats ever bothered my clams. Would they not just close up if pestered by a pest?

Maybe they come now with type of time activated disease. :twised: Its sure a shame. Had such nice colours for a derasa.

Joe Reefer
12-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I would blame it on Mike.:mrgreen:

Delphinus
12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Bummer. Yeah, it sure seems random sometimes doesn't it. :neutral: Weird..

Doug
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I would blame it on Mike.:mrgreen:

That must be it. Was doing fine until then. :lol: He,he.

Doug
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Bummer. Yeah, it sure seems random sometimes doesn't it. :neutral: Weird..

Yes, very random and just out of the blue. You would think it would show some signs first. No fish would bother it. Dont think it would be a scarlet hermit, emerald { hmm?}, or my peppermint shrimp.

I still think it would close up to a predator, unless through the bottom but it was attached to a smallish flat rock.

Skimmerking
12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
WTF holy crap Doug sorry to hear about your clam. It was looking great when I was there. must of been the chewing tobacco that I was feeding it. :mrgreen: sorry and it was looking so open too when I was there. I wonder if it was the blenny that did it? But it didnt look sick thou funny

Doug
12-04-2007, 05:55 PM
WTF holy crap Doug sorry to hear about your clam. It was looking great when I was there. must of been the chewing tobacco that I was feeding it. :mrgreen: sorry and it was looking so open too when I was there. I wonder if it was the blenny that did it? But it didnt look sick thou funny

Hmmm, maybe you spit some juice on it. :lol:

I never seen my lawnmower bothering anything. They dont like clams do they and one would think he would have bothered one of the larger ones by now. He does lay in them though, but seems not to affect them.