Set Up Date : Jan 28th. 2003

Tank Size : 48''x24''x24'' 120 gallons
Seastar - Euro brace
2x 2" durso
2x 1" return

Sump Size : 30"x18"x12" | 30 gallons

Refugium Size : 24"x15"x14" 20 gallons

Live Rock : 150 lbs Fiji

Live Sand : 3" Display | 5" DSB (Refugium)

Lighting : MH 2x400w 20k Radium (430w Son Agro)
VHO 2x110w Actinic (IceCap 430)
2x55w PC (Refugium) RDP

Protein Skimmer : Aqua-C EV-150

Biological Filtration : LR/LS

Chemical Filtration : Carbon 24/7 changed monthly

Circulation : 4x MJ 1200, 2x MJ 600, Wavemaker

Return Pump : LG 4MDQ-SC

pH : 8.2-8.3 Pinpoint pH

Temperature : 80-83° F w/2x250w Ebo heaters

Specific Gravity / Salinity : 1.025

Alkalinity : 14 dkh

Calcium : 390 ppm

Fish : Percula, Kole tang, Green Chromis, Sailfin tang

Corals : SPS dominated. Acropora, Millipora, Montipora Capricornis, Montipora Digitata, ect. A few zooanthids, xenia and a chilli sponge.

Macro : Grape caulerpa and halimeda

Invertebrates : 10 Blueleg hermits, cleaner shrimp, and a queen conch

Maintenance Program : 7 gal water change per week (Instant Ocean bucket)

Kalk now and then but usually 1 gal nighlty

Misc. Items

Reefpure 50g/pd RO/DI w/TDS meter

Calcium reactor w/12lb bottle

trilinearmipmap
02-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Jack,

I am considering either a 75 or a 120.

Is your tank an AGA or another brand? Can you let me know where you got it and the cost if you don't mind. I will be getting quotes on a tank in the next few weeks and I want to know if I am getting a decent price.

Thanks.

Quinn
02-19-2003, 08:56 PM
trilinearmipmap, have you considered a 150 gal? the reason i ask is because i was going to go with a 120 gal, until dez in edmonton told me to check out his 150 (same footprint as a standard 120, but 30" high). i was sold then and there, it's an amazing size. inter-american in calgary will make you a 150 with single overflow, eurobracing and Starphire front for around $550 CDN, not sure how much shipping to BC would be. i really recommend you check a 150 out though, if you want pics of dez's tank, let me know and i'll email em.

Jack
02-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Hey guys,

It's a custom tank made by Seastar Aquariums. It's bottom drilled on one side for three sided viewing. Two 1 1/2" drains, two 1" returns and I installed a tank-width single overflow myself. The tank has Euro bracing and black silicone, I would reccomend both these options. The bottom pane of glass is also double the thickness of the sides for extra strenght, we do put alot of wieght on the bottom pane.

I bought this tank from Darren (DJ88) on this message board. It was brand new but never used. He had the tank designed and I am greatful to him for the awesome tank. I belive he said the tank cost him around 500+$ new but email him for further specific details.

teevee brings a good deal to your attention but hieght is the least you should be concerend about. It's difficult to reach your hand down to the bottom of a 30" tank, for whatever purposes (coral arrangment, cleaning) But maybe you willl have a 4-6" DSB, lol, it's really up to you. I'm also not sure about how much shipping would be all the way up there for a tank, you might be better off getting something closer to home.

I love my tank but If I had to add more something, it wouldn't be hieght, it would be lenght. A 5' shallow 120 gal would a nice SPS tank. Let me know what you think and message back.

Hope the post wasn't too long... :roll:

later..

trilinearmipmap
02-19-2003, 10:28 PM
As far as the euro-bracing, as far as I understand that is a glass perimeter brace all around the inside top of the tank, is that correct? Wouldn't that interfere with any plumbing you wanted to bring in from the back of the tank, such as a closed loop?

I wanted a 75 but I have read many posts saying a 120 gives more front-to-back depth for aquascaping. A 6-foot tank would be my ideal but too hard to move, so a 120 will be my compromise.

As far as buying a 120 from Inter-American or Seastar, is there any advantage to going with them versus All-Glass?

Jack
02-19-2003, 11:44 PM
Yep, euro bracing is a inner "rim" of glass around the tank to keep the tank from splitting in half when filled with water, haha. Other wise you need a solid or glass center brace, that I find, gets in the way and is annoying with MH or any lights for that matter. You have to keep it clean and can sometimes melt/warp with MH. My brace is 3 inches inward around the whole tank, I like it, It's like a shelf for different things. I don't think this brace would affect a closed loop, just run the plumbing up and over. As for a Seaswirl, I have yet to find out if it will clamp onto 3+ inches.

I have no idea about your last question, maybe ask in the Reef Forum and see where people got there 120's from.

Talk to you soon,

Quinn
02-20-2003, 01:13 AM
my tank will have a 4" dsb, and i believe dez also has something similar. the guy dez bought the tank from specifically had a 30" made because it was as deep as he could reach. i really like the height, because it makes the tank look bigger than it is. it really becomes a centrepiece rather than just a "fish tank in the corner". it also allows for some really neat aquascaping.

i've never heard of seaswirl, i went with inter-american because they're nearby and cheap as borsch. a lot of shops have their tanks made there, so i don't doubt that more people have IA tanks than they realize.

i found out today my tank is done so i'm going to have it picked up next week. can't wait to see the results.

Jack
02-20-2003, 06:24 AM
teevee, it does sound like that is a really nice tank and the price is right. 30" is huge! Can you maybe share setup pics when you get the tank? 8)

Well, we have given some suggestions but ultimatley it's your choice on what tank you get.

trilinearmipmap
02-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Teevee,

Please keep us posted on how your tank turns out.

I might buy from that company, I'd like to hear about your experiences with them.

Quinn
02-20-2003, 01:47 PM
as soon as my tank gets to me i'll set up a page listing all the specifics of my setup. i'll post the url here, no worries.

here's the link to dez's website, with pics of his 150 gal (thanks aj!)
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/dez/ :D :D :D

BCOrchidGuy
01-05-2004, 05:18 AM
I'm only 5ft9 and with my standard 90 gallon being 24inches deep even with 2 inches of sand I still have trouble reaching the bottom of the tank. Jack brings up a good idea, you can find 5 foot 108 gallon tanks for a decent price or a 6 foot 135 for a pretty good price.

Looked at the link for that 30 inch tall tank, it looks amazing, I LOVE.. and I mean LOVE the veiwable refugium under the main tank. That's such a cool idea. I've been thinking about a 120 gallon like Jacks the 4ftx2ftx2ft because I love the front to back dimensions. I find the 90 being 18 inches front to back just limits me to much. I'd like to be able to have more sandy area and swimming area for fish.

Doug

Aquattro
01-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Wow, really digging up the old posts Doug!! :razz:

Quinn
01-05-2004, 05:31 AM
:lol: Must be feeling nostalgic...

BCOrchidGuy
01-05-2004, 06:01 AM
The other night I was back two years in posts... found a good one on Kalk vs calcium reactors. maybe I should just go to bed and sleep... that sounds so, un interesting.

Doug