PDA

View Full Version : how to catch fish ?

Van-rookie
12-04-2007, 06:11 AM
my small puffer accidentally got loose in my reef tank a couple of days ago and i haven't manage to catch it again.

does anyone know the easy way to catch a puffer without moving the rocks & corals ? if i fail to catch it, what is the chance that it not nip on my corals ?

thanks

Salmon King
12-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Coax him out with food

Van-rookie
12-04-2007, 06:42 AM
tried that...but he is too clever and fast. Guest I have to be more patient

andresont
12-04-2007, 07:17 AM
inverted 2L soda bottle with cut out neck and an air tube on the other end to "pump" food in, worked like a charm for me.
In fact way better then comersial "box" traps made from acrylic

Salmon King
12-04-2007, 07:58 AM
try clam or mussel.That is there favorate food

Joe Reefer
12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Go to your local fishing store that sells fly fishing gear. Ask to see there really small hooks and get some line too. Then tip the hook with a mysis and fish away. I have used this method on tangs, gobies, triggers, wrasses, rabbitfish etc. All I do is dangle the baited hook in the same spot I ussually add food. Watch closely that the targeted fish is going to take it, and bam! this whole process take about a minute. I should have really video taped this the last time I did this. Here is a picture of the fishing rig.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/lyohemas/Gifs/Junk/IMG_0880.jpg

Van-rookie
12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks all....

I think I will try with the soda bottle and clam/mussle.
I a bit afraid to use the hook because other fishes which belong in the reef tank might be the one biting the bait not the puffer. Also I am afraid I will hurt the the fish with the hook.

Murminator
12-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I word shop-vac :idea: if he is small enough....I have a couple damsels that are going to meet the shop-vac just make sure you clean it out real good 1st

Richard_Dicosimo
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
so im kinda curious this could be an amusing storry. how does a puffer accidently get loose?

Richard

mark
12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I want to see his fishing video.

Eduardo
12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
If you use the hook method, make sure you pinch down the barb with pliers as the fish will easily come off the hook that way. Some hooks come with barbs and some are barbless.

Van-rookie
12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I recently took down my FOWLR tank because I don't have time to take care of 2 tanks and was planning to sell/give the puffer to someone. I put him in a breeder net but seem he managed to make a small hole and escaped.

Anyone want to catch and have it ? :smile:

so im kinda curious this could be an amusing storry. how does a puffer accidently get loose?
Richard