PDA

View Full Version : advance M58 ballasts

Dez
01-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Just wondering, how are these ballasts to run the higher temperature bulbs? Any experience on this?

Thanks..

Des

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Which bulb are you thinking of? The M58 is 250W, and according to the Ushio website the M58 is actually the recommended ballast for their 250W single-ended 10000K bulb. Which is odd, because the M58 is the traditional "probe" start whereas for their 175W bulbs, and their 400W bulbs (and I think their 1000W bulb too) they want you to run them on the "pulse" start ballasts. Why the difference for the 250's, who knows. I've been running my 175W bulbs on M57's, and up till last week I had no idea this was the wrong ballast. They fire up OK, no flicker, and really gotten a long run out of the bulbs. So I don't if this info helps you but maybe it does??

cheers

PS. I run my Iwasaki's (not exactly the higher-K bulbyou're asking about though) on M58's and they seem to be OK, although one of them does have a slight flicker on startup for about 5 minutes and then it goes away after that. You don't notice the flicker looking at the tank but you will notice it if you're looking at the bulbs for whatever reason. It also make a strange high-pitched, barely audible squealing sound when it's flickering (can't hear it with the hood closed). What could be happening here, I have no idea. The light still fires, so I haven't really pursued what's going on there.

Jack
01-29-2003, 07:41 PM
I bought two brand new M58 ballast setups (ballasts, ballast box's, wires, sockets, and reflectors) from the hydrophonic store in town for really cheap. The owner of the shop said it would run the 10k Ushio bulb fine. I'm getting the bulb/s next week, mind you they are pricey and I have thought of getting radiums but I already have the whole setups for dual 250's. I will give you an update in about two weeks time on how the bulb/s preform, k?

Dez
01-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I can get the ballasts for $60, is that considered cheap? Or is that average? Thanks..

Des

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 08:17 PM
I think that's about par for a new but bare ballast. Not bad at all.

Jack
01-29-2003, 09:11 PM
60$ is cheaper than the "cheap" price I thought I was getting. That sounds like a good deal. Metal halide systems can be costly, If you like the 250w Ushio bulb that ballast would be your best bet to save some money. J&L has two of these over thier clam tank and they look awesome, they are complimented with 2x110w VHO 03's.

It's interesting to find out that the M58 will run the Iwasaki's too, I was wondering about that. I don't think they run them optimally but I should see if Christy has any old bulbs that she isn't using.

Jedi68
02-03-2003, 07:08 PM
I am considering running 2x250w Ushios. Could someone tell me what the part # is for the Advance M58??? I went onto Advance's wedsite and they have so many different M58's. Thanks!!! :)

Delphinus
02-03-2003, 08:01 PM
My head hurts everytime I try to compare all the ballasts available, but I think 71A5770 might be a good bet. Quad tap (but all we're going to care about is 120V), 60Hz, core & coil design.

StirCrazy
02-04-2003, 11:59 PM
68.00 is a average price for a M58 core and coil.. if you can afford the extra 15.00 then get the pulse start.. they will both work find for the 250 (the 250 has had a starter built in to the bulb to make it work with M58 ballast better) but the pulse start is showing to make the bulb hold its color and intensity longer.

Steve