PDA

View Full Version : Finding plumbing parts in Calgary?

Douglas
12-03-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm about to plumb a new set up, tank and sump. All my tanks before, have had no sumps. So this is new to me. I'd like to do it myself. Where can i get union joints, gate valves, and any other plumbing parts I'll need, in Calgary? Can i use just PVC? Or does it have to be flexible hose?

Phanman
12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
You can go to Albert at Golds on 17th ave. He has a wide variety of parts in the trunk of his car (good price too). He also has flex pipe if you need it, but not necessary. He can help you design your sump too and is very knowledable.

Or just go to Rona or Home depot.

digital-audiophile
12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm a big fan of Western Pump myself.

Rona has an OK selection of PVC, Home Depot sucks for plumbing.. well they suck for everything, I hate that store, I avoid it whenever possible :p

As I am sure Tony will tell you, finding PVC gate valves in Calgary is like pulling teeth.

Delphinus
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm sure somewhere in town (EMCO or whatever) has gate valves but I just kind of grew weary of calling every place in the phone book when it's just as easy to call up J&L or Ocean Aquatics. Although I never thought to ask if Albert has any in his trunk, maybe he does. :)

Having said that I'm about to order from usplastic.com because I can't find anywhere else that has a 2" PVC gate valve. My overflow is 2 - 2" bulkheads and I'm thinking of trying Herbie overflow, and I'm not sure if stepping it down to 1.5" is a good idea. Although, I kind of have this weird idea of gravity feeding my skimmer as well and .. I'm not sure I can run a gravity fed skimmer off a Herbie overflow, or if that's just asking for too many variables.

Anyhow, another place that has PVC parts is Plumbateria off 42nd Av. But I second the suggestion for Western Pump, I always try them first for stuff.

Rona has an OK selection of PVC, Home Depot sucks for plumbing.. well they suck for everything, I hate that store, I avoid it whenever possible :p

You know, for some reason I keep thinking optimistically thinking "Home Depot will have what I'm looking for." And then I go .. and am amazed. They do a really good job of filling up those warehouse sized stores with "Not what you're looking for." Weird.

digital-audiophile
12-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Perhaps off topic but if you really want to see that bad side of Home Depot, use their home install service.. all I can say is: worst...experience...ever!