PDA

View Full Version : web stuff

Canuckgod420
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I dont know whats going on but all over my reef I have these little web things everywhere...and when i blow the webs away with my live rock detritus eradicator(turkey baster) they seem to return with a vengeance.
Does anyone know what this is and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks

mr_alberta
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Those are most likely vermatid snails. Harmless filter feeders though a bit unsightly. I *think* copperbands eat those.

Delphinus
12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
50/50 on the CBB. I think I have fewer of the vermetids now that I have a CBB but they are definitely not eradicated (CBB at approx. 18 months now, so it's not like he hasn't had enough time to find them).

They say vermetids are harmless but I'm not so sure. That webbing will annoy corals, and a coral that's annoyed enough can die on you, soooo ..... I guess draw your own conclusions but I personally don't care for them. I let them live on my overflow and plumbing but on the rocks next to corals I snip them off when they get to a size that I can get my coral snippers around them.

jasond
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I have something similar on my LR. They are little tubes that stick out, and whenever there is stuff in the water (mini sandstorm, from cleaning or whatever) they shoot out their webs for food, and then suck them in. I dont really like them, they seem to be multiplying, so I am going to try and get rid of them...Any other suggestions besides shrimp?

Delphinus
12-03-2007, 09:15 PM
You can just snip them off with a tool of some kind. Side cutters, frag cutters, etc.. Just be sure to get as low as possible because they can retreat into the tube, if you don't cut under them then you just give them a haircut essentially.

Canuckgod420
12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I have a CBB and he doesnt seem to touch them. I guess I will try to cut them off.
Thanks everyone

kwirky
12-03-2007, 11:14 PM
agreed on the not-so-safe nature of vermatid snails. I had problems with them stinging my more sensitive corals with their strings.

untamed
12-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I have something similar on my LR. They are little tubes that stick out, and whenever there is stuff in the water (mini sandstorm, from cleaning or whatever) they shoot out their webs for food, and then suck them in. I dont really like them, they seem to be multiplying, so I am going to try and get rid of them...Any other suggestions besides shrimp?

I'm thinking that the filament is always there, but you can only see it when it gets full of stuff.

jasond
12-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Untamed....not sure exactly what you mean, sorry, can you explain?

untamed
12-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Untamed....not sure exactly what you mean, sorry, can you explain?

I mean that the filament is so fine and transparent that you can't see it unless it gets coated in material. I imagine it as some kind of sticky fishing line.

jasond
12-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Ya, that is possible, it is hard to tell. I will take a pic before I cut them, and you guys can see what you think.