PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia anemone

marie
12-03-2007, 03:05 AM
It's too bad these things are evil, they are pretty cool looking when given ideal growing conditions.
With that said, this guy has found himself a place that I can't easily reach with a syringe but is the first thing I see when i look in my tank:twised:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/enhanced.jpg

surgeonfish
12-03-2007, 04:39 AM
I agree. The first time I saw one in my tank I was actually excited until I read about it. I had a few in my quarantine tank. I fed them to see how many would actually grow. I was planning on getting a CBB fish and wanted a good food soarce for him while in my quarantine tank. Well the Aiptasia grow to cover all the live rock, the gravel, and even started growing on the tank sides. I got my CBB, and it didn't eat any of them.:rolleyes: I got a few peppermint shrimp and there are only a few left after only a few days. The picture below was taken before the Aiptasia really got out of hand.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/Surgeonfish/DSC_0524_edited.jpg

marie
12-03-2007, 04:52 AM
This anemone is probably a bit too big for peppermint shrimp and I have to treat the tank for red bugs before I can put any shrimp in.

There will be at least half a dozen peppermints added as soon as i can though so they can deal with all the babies that pop up :rolleyes:

michika
12-03-2007, 04:59 AM
When they get big, they remind me of something from a B-grade horror film. Like something back from the 40s, and 50s.

surgeonfish
12-03-2007, 05:44 AM
I have had very large Aiptasia which the peppermin shrimp had no problem eating.

Salmon King
12-03-2007, 06:44 AM
There was a local pet store that was selling them as glass anenomes.I guess some people bought them.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-03-2007, 07:59 AM
I had several large pieces of LR I used in my fowlr specifically for feeding a CBB but within a week it had eaten them all & eventually died. I thought it would survive because it was eating mysis & bloodworms, but nope.