PDA

View Full Version : Walking pump's killing my new sps

kwirky
12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I added my first SPS to my tank (pocilipora) and for some reason the maxijet on the one end of the tank is now walking across the tank and stops RIGHT in front of the colony. It's killing the one side of the colony.

I'm using the little hanger with the single suction cup to hold the pump, but I think the vibration of the pump is causing it to slowly slide. I can't think of how to keep it fixed in place, or what's causing it exactly to move

For now I turned it's output so it's at a slight angle and hopefully it'll blow it in the opposite direction instead of straight into the colony.

Death by squirt gun! :sad:

mr_alberta
12-02-2007, 04:30 PM
You can try a sure grip maxijet magnetic holder. Those work quite well I hear.

Tom R
12-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Try an laundry pin on the Eurobrace. That shoud stop it.

Tom R

skylord
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Leave your mag glass cleaner right beside it.

Scott

Jason McK
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
You could also just put a rubber band between the hanger and the glass. Rap the rubber band tightly around the hanger and then clamp the hanger down on the glass. It will make the hanger grip the glass

J

Snappy
12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Personally I would not recommend pocillopora as a choice for a "1st sps". IME they can be more fussy than many acropora's. They require a good random flow that I doubt you'll be able to achieve with a maxi-jet pump unless you get one of those adapters that rotates to change the flow direction. That said, it is inevitable you will eventually have to change your powerheads so I suggest going with Tunze. I've tried them all and IMHO they work the best. If you want to get into sps don't wait to buy one, it will be worth it. They cost more but you get what you pay for.

kwirky
12-03-2007, 12:18 AM
yeah the pumps ar eon a wavemaker on 10 second cycled. it's pretty random. We'll see how it goes.

I've resorted to the suggestion of putting my magnet cleaner next to it.