PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this

rossb
01-29-2003, 04:18 AM
Well I have pulled all of the real live rock out of my tank and placed it in a 33 gallon tank (I am trying to exorcise a demon something...maybe a mantis). I rinsed it in fresh water and it is now in a tank. First a bunch of redish bristle worms came out of the rocks and then some whitish ones and now I have a couple of tiny start fish on the glass that are about 3/8" across and having about 6 legs. What should I do with these critters? Are the starfish reef safe..sorry too small for a picture?

In taking apart my tank I found the remnants of many hermits, I think I put in 30, and now there are none. :cry:

AJ_77
01-29-2003, 04:39 AM
Hi Ross,

If the starfish are stubby and whitish in colour, then not to worry. I think we all have some of those.
If they look like tiny brittle stars, not to worry. You'll have many more.
I'm pretty sure anything star-related and that small is reef-safe.

Cheers.

Bob I
01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Those are hitchiker starfish. I think they are mentioned in the Hitchiker FAQ. I believe there was someone on RC who said they ate coral. That was unproven. They divide by fission, so you will see them with odd leg configurations. I have lots, and that is all I know. :D

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 03:16 PM
If they are Asterina sp. starfish (I think I have remembered the genus name correctly ... please don't sue me if not), then it apparently depends on the exact species. Some will; some won't. I seem to have some of the ones that don't, and they appear to only eat algae so I am happy with them.