PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Puffer Antics!

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
I thought this was a funny little story to share...I have always been able to "pet" my porcupine Puffer on the back because he has learned that I usually only do it before I feed him. So I guess he is smart enough to relate me "petting" him to getting food. Even though I really do not touch him much, I think this is really cool. Today I went a step farther to see how trusting he was and actually am able to completely hold him in my hand! He just lays still and looks around...Its hilarious. I did this a few times and then thought, well it can't be good to be touching him so much, so I stopped. I started to walk away from the tank and he went NUTS!!! He began frantically swimming, spitting, thrashing, ect.

I guess now if he gets held he also expects food! Fair enough...

So I gave him a little bit of prawn but apparently that was not enough. He began begging again right away. I actually started laughing at him and he puffed! The timing of it all was amazing. Almost as soon as I began laughing its like he got upset and poof! All the time he was puffed up, he just stared at me too. I was laughing so hard I was almost crying.

Heres a pic of him puffed. I will take one of him being held next time I do it. What a character this Puffer is!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/DSC00683.jpg

michika
12-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Cute story

seanoman
12-01-2007, 01:46 AM
they are the coolest fish ever!

Moogled
12-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Hahahaha, that is so wicked man.

Best story on Canreef. EVER.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-01-2007, 02:25 AM
I thought people might like it! Puffers really can be like puppies sometimes. He gets SO fussy if you ignore him when your near the tank. Its almost impossible to take pictures of other fish too because as soon as you hold a camera up to the glass, hes there in front of it. Its amazing how smart they seem to be.

justinl
12-01-2007, 02:32 AM
:mrgreen: that was a cute story. i like.

banditpowdercoat
12-01-2007, 03:42 AM
lmao, I want one :D

Delphinus
12-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Wow, there's something you don't see every day, eh?

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Wow, there's something you don't see every day, eh?

Yeah Im not sure how many fish will allow you to "hold" them! I mean Im not squeezing or anything, I guess more like "cupping" him but Im still amazed that he lets me. Still can't beleive he got angry enough with me to puff though.

Redrover
12-01-2007, 06:27 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/tn_miscfish002_jpg.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/tn_miscfish001_jpg.jpg

Marc [ SuperFudge ] with a couple of his pals

Redrover
12-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Thats a great story...LOL...Nice pic.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-01-2007, 07:36 AM
My wife's Porcupine Puffer is a little character too:biggrin:

They really make it worth setting up a fowlr (actually Poofie is how I got my wife to think setting up a fowlr was HER idea:lol: )

He mostly stays in one of his caves or tunnels but as soon as we go near, especially if we have a bamboo skewer (how we feed him Krill & Prawns), he comes right out & starts to beg. He is especially good at getting Irene to overfeed him:wink:

Thanks for sharing the story & picture. Our's only puffed up when I first bought him at Hidden Reef and when I added a Purple Tang into "HIS" tank.

Anthony

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-01-2007, 08:33 AM
My wife's Porcupine Puffer is a little character too:biggrin:

They really make it worth setting up a fowlr (actually Poofie is how I got my wife to think setting up a fowlr was HER idea:lol: )

He mostly stays in one of his caves or tunnels but as soon as we go near, especially if we have a bamboo skewer (how we feed him Krill & Prawns), he comes right out & starts to beg. He is especially good at getting Irene to overfeed him:wink:

Thanks for sharing the story & picture. Our's only puffed up when I first bought him at Hidden Reef and when I added a Purple Tang into "HIS" tank.

Anthony

Anthony,

Do you have any pics of your Puffer and FOWLR set up? I would love to see it if you do!

My guy seems to puff quite often actually. I was really worried about it at first but when he does it, he really does not seem stressed and its usually just for about 10 seconds and then he goes back to doing whatever he was doing. I have asked a bunch of people and apparently they sometimes do it randomly or for "practice". Im not really sure why mine puffs usually but today it seemed pretty obvious!

Palster
12-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah Im not sure how many fish will allow you to "hold" them! I mean Im not squeezing or anything, I guess more like "cupping" him but Im still amazed that he lets me. Still can't beleive he got angry enough with me to puff though.

My Reticulated Puffer will allow me to hold him and even pick him up and move him into another tank. He is getting fairly big though so you have to watch your fingers when you feed him. I have been nipped a few times but I haven't actually been bit hard. He is a great fish with lots of personality. He hangs out at the top of the tank when I walk by hoping to get fed and will occasionally spit water out of the tank.

Puff
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
anthony's porcupine puffer is awesome!

great shots of the puffer GSP! one day i hope to have one:)