PDA

View Full Version : Nano at work?

MikeP
11-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm moving offices and should have space for a 5g nano. Is it possible to maintain a nano at work? It would be left alone every weekend.

Thanks for any input.

kwirky
11-30-2007, 07:32 PM
you'd have to deal with carting RO/DI on a weekly basis. I heard that's the only major difficulty in a nano at a job. 2 days away from the tank should be fine too. A softy tank would be easy to look after and pulsing xenia is always a favorite amongst strangers to reef aquariums :)

digital-audiophile
11-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've an empty 6G JBJ nano sitting at home and I really want to bring it to work. The only thing that I think would be a pain is having salt water for changes. I have thought about keeping two empty salt pails under my desk and a small powerhead and tubing. I could then use the PH to mix the salt water and when ready use the PH with the tubing to drain out water from the nano and pump water back in. The problem is this means I would really have to come in on a weekend to do it becuase it would be a pain trying to do it all with tonnes of people in the office.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-30-2007, 08:02 PM
But it would be SUCH a small water change, I bet you could be really inconspicuous about it.

digital-audiophile
11-30-2007, 08:13 PM
I do it right now with my 2.5G FW tank on my desk, but I just use an empty water bottle and go dump it out. It's just mixing the salt water that would be the pain.

mark
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Talking nano, what would you change, a couple of gallons? Mix up at home and bring to work in something like a couple 4l milk jugs.

digital-audiophile
11-30-2007, 11:30 PM
lol! walking through the +15's with a briefcase in one hand and a jug of saltwater in the other.

MikeP
12-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Well it sounds like it's do-able other than water changes being a bit of a pain. Is there anything else that I need to keep in mind when keeping a nano this size? I've only kept two tanks while in this hobby, the 30g I started with and the 190g I have running now. The only thing I can think of is if it crashes it will crash fast, so keep a close eye on water parameters.

oilfieldsafety
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Mike

No problem, I run a 29 at work and change 4 gallons weekly. I set up a pail in my credenza and mix with a powerhead. I have no problems even with the long weekends. I did put a backup UPS on my skimmer though just in case of power outages when I am not around.

Shane

Van-rookie
12-08-2007, 04:52 AM
I am also thinking of bringing my 8G biocube to the office, and maybe just do a bi-weekly water change.

Midknight
12-08-2007, 06:05 AM
I am working on building an 8G @ 24 X 10 X 8.
Going to use the keyboard hole in the desk to run pipes to a XP2 under it. :wink:

kwirky
12-12-2007, 04:21 AM
lighting a tank that small would probably be best done with a couple daylight screwbase diaryqueen style bulbs. otherwise you could use those tiny coralife PC lights but from experience they're nowhere near as bright as a screwbase PC.

Keri
01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
The water changes in the little ones really are quick enough for you to do at lunch.