PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames - please note

Delphinus
01-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Guys,

[Moderator hat=on]

An issue has arisen lately regarding the use of "pet" names for stores instead of their real names.

I'm sorry that I have to ask this, but can we from now on, avoid the use of nicknames for stores; and please bear in mind that when we make references to any store, to keep those as personal, factua observations. Unfortunately when in publicly viewed threads, there can be unintended consequences to voiced unconfirmed suspicions, so unfortunately they cannot be voiced in a public forum such as this one.

Thank you for your attention, and your understanding on this matter.

cheers,
Your Friendly Neighbourhood (Calgary) Moderator.

PS. Moderator hat is now once again off.

AJ_77
01-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Are we allowed to say something like,
"Big Al's sucks" for example?

:?

MitchM
01-28-2003, 04:08 PM
I believe that in the movie "Rainman", Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise said "Kmart sucks".....

:P

Mitch

titus
01-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Hello,

Again, if it's based on facts (like say hypothetically some LFS pour chlorine into their tanks), then yes you can post it here. But if it's based on personal assumptions, which may lead to possible debates that begin to spread and then becomes rumours, etc, then no.

Canadian Man
01-28-2003, 08:21 PM
So "Big Als Sucks" BECAUSE..............
They sold me a fluval for my reef tank that wasnt nessecary would be ok?

Or BECAUSE..............
They told me that I needed 1000lbs of live rock for my 10g tank and when I took it home it didnt fit would be ok? :lol:

AJ_77
01-28-2003, 08:52 PM
What if you were a fish lover and you always saw dead and dying fish in their tanks? Could you make disparaging comments THEN?? Or would that still be speculation and rumour...

Serious question.

Delphinus
01-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, my take on this is, if that's what you saw, then nobody can stop you from saying that this what you saw. Just stick to the relevant facts, and, maybe try to present the information so that if the other party is on this board, that they will be able to at least participate afterwards, perhaps given an opportunity to respond, or take corrective measures if necessary.

The bottom line is, at least for me (and I say this just as an average person, not as a moderator now), that I would rather see a store with a reputation, be allowed a chance to redeem themselves and earn a new reputation; rather than go out of business. It's not in our best interests, as consumers, to see our vendors go out of business. I am all for second chances. I know I need many myself.

AJ_77
01-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Pretty much a moot point anyways. I go to Wai's and Ocean because they're handy. Very glad I don't have to drive down south, to be disappointed yet again at Big Al's.

Perhaps the point is to use the stores' proper names. If someone wants some opinions, they're easy to get.

Troy F
01-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Alan, this is a fairly serious issue really. What we are asking is that if you want to make a comment about Big Al's don't say, "they suck". Say, "I prefer not to shop at Big Al's because..." and list some relevant facts. Unless you're receiving an oral massage from fishroom girl or boy then Big Al's sucking is off the table. Kapeche? :twisted:

In regards to floating fish, this is a relevant observation. I'd say; "It appears to me that the majority of times I visit ________, their tanks are in horrible condition with dead fish often floating around. Despite numerous attempts at explaining my concerns, I've not noticed an improvement." Unless the shop we're talking about has their employees dressed in high heels, panty hoes and garters there's no need for any moniker.

StirCrazy
01-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Unless the shop we're talking about has their employees dressed in high heels, panty hoes and garters there's no need for any moniker.

you say that like there is such a shop and you are holding out on us :shock: :wink:

Steve

AJ_77
01-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Steve: it's the Best Little Coral House in the West. (our nickname for it)
:D

Troy: that's cool of course - I was actually being serious (my best attempt). What is "Kapeche?"

BTW, your explanation is what I was looking for.

Troy F
01-28-2003, 11:09 PM
Alan, kapeche is understand in Italian I believe. I was taking you seriously, I just wanted to clear up any possible confusion and I'm glad it worked ;) .

Troy F
01-28-2003, 11:14 PM
So "Big Als Sucks" BECAUSE..............
They sold me a fluval for my reef tank that wasnt nessecary would be ok?

Nope, your fault all the way for listening to them in the first place.

Or BECAUSE..............
They told me that I needed 1000lbs of live rock for my 10g tank and when I took it home it didnt fit would be ok? :lol:

See above and add an IQ test to upcoming personal agenda :) .

Canadian Man
01-28-2003, 11:24 PM
:lol:

On a serious note
I would only hope that certain retailers would see these online opinions that people are forming about them and do something to change them.. Eg. If some one posted an opinion in the vendor rating forum about SWC or J&L or Seacare I am sure the appropriate retailer would comment, fix, figure out the problem.

It's common sense to take comments people say with a grain of salt unless there's obvious proof to back up that opinion.
I don't really know where my rambling is going here (Tony I am rambling like you :wink: :lol: :wink: ) other than to say our hobby if based around alot of OPINIONS and less FACTS or Scientific proof.
In my OPINION :wink:Productive opinions are nessecary in this hobby, Bashing is not.

Tau2301
01-28-2003, 11:48 PM
In my OPINION :wink:Productive opinions are nessecary in this hobby, Bashing is not.

Does that mean Bob is finally off the hook :?: :D

Canadian Man
01-28-2003, 11:50 PM

Does that mean Bob is finally off the hook :?: :D

:? Hmmm never thought of that :? I guess I backed us all into a corner with that statement :D

Well all productive opinoins except BOB's are nessecary :P :lol: :wink:

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Oh dear, poor Bob. You'd think he was a real rabble-rouser or something? I wonder if one day I get to meet this fabled person?

Jonathan I couldn't agree with you more about that other stuff though. If a person doesn't like what is said about them ... well nobody has to like this sort of thing, but they can also try to prove the statements wrong, or make the statements become wrong.

After all if we all agreed on everything .... then we wouldn't have much to talk about, would we?

:)

Bob I
01-29-2003, 12:34 AM
You know, I once overheard someone in our group say something about me when he did not know I was in the room. I don't think I will spend the rest of my days worrying about that. I will, however, leave you with this quote I stole from Alan's email. I think it highly appropriate in this case.:D :wink:

"I maintain that, if everyone knew what others said about him, there would not be four friends in the world." - Blaise Pascal

Bob I
01-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Well all productive opinoins except BOB's are nessecary :P :lol: :wink:

So now we need a special moderator to decide if an opinion is productive or not. :wink: :lol: :roll: :P

BC_Grl
01-29-2003, 01:16 AM
Sorry Bob- but I think you got yourself into this. For the longest time I held out hope for you. But you come back with rude and insulting comments. Some people are honestly asking questions because they are new or just want to know. We're not stupid- otherwise we wouldn't even ask. But your nitpicking, judging comments are insulting. And no, I don't have to be a scholar in English to ask a question about how to make myself a better reefer.

DJ88
01-29-2003, 01:33 AM
But your nitpicking, judging comments are insulting. And no, I don't have to be a scholar in English to ask a question about how to make myself a better reefer.

Way to go Jenna.. :) :) :) :) :)

Was waiting for someone to say something. 'Bout time too.

Sorry for interruptin..

We now take you back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Bob I
01-29-2003, 01:38 AM
Sorry Bob- but I think you got yourself into this. For the longest time I held out hope for you. But you come back with rude and insulting comments. Some people are honestly asking questions because they are new or just want to know. We're not stupid- otherwise we wouldn't even ask. But your nitpicking, judging comments are insulting. And no, I don't have to be a scholar in English to ask a question about how to make myself a better reefer.

I could of course reply to this, but that would be putting myself on your level, and I have spent too many years on this earth to react to small minded baiting. To honor you with even this much of a reply is far more than the posts are worth. :wink:

And what does this have to do with calling stores nicknames :?: :?:

Tau2301
01-29-2003, 02:48 AM
Dejavu all over again. Didn't I read this in another post not to long ago.

Bob, I apologize. I did not mean my lighthearted jest to turn into as slam Bob thread. :oops:

Bob I
01-29-2003, 03:04 AM
No problem Kim, I understand lighthearted jests. It would be so nice if people would confine their posts to their own side of the mountains, and stay out of things they don't understand.

Troy F
01-29-2003, 03:08 AM
It would be so nice if people would confine their posts to their own side of the mountains, and stay out of things they don't understand.

:cry: ............................................... 8)

andestang
01-29-2003, 03:14 AM
Back to what this was really about. I'd sure like to invite those, who were apposed to my post, in the future to start making right or point out the wrong impressions we may have. I've seen replies/posts from LFS from out of town. :D So this is possible :wink:
Ande

AJ_77
01-29-2003, 04:55 AM
That would be handy, but the first row over this store-bashing came about in reference to a local LFS I can tell you're familiar with, who had no voice on this board. His cause was taken up by one or two loyal customers, and complaints were made to moderators etc.

I don't believe the proprietor had any interest in coming on this board to defend himself. He is his own man - if we don't like his practises we can shop elsewhere. Myself I've been going into his store for 13 years, and if I want to express a little displeasure from time to time, I just might. No big deal, as long as I keep coming back to shop. That's his bottom line.

As for Bob, I wish everyone would calm down a bit, especially those not really entitled to make judgments on his character. Again, he is his own person and not answerable to any one of us. If we don't agree with his forms of expression, we can choose not to correspond with him. Our choice. We have seen after his last public rebuke how he made an effort to moderate his own comments.

If you perceive a person to be "difficult" or "cranky" or "sweet" this should temper your interaction with them. Just keep in mind who you think you're dealing with. It would be good if we could all meet eventually and get to know each other even slightly... this would clear up a lot.

Canadian Man
01-29-2003, 05:30 AM
That would be handy, but the first row over this store-bashing came about in reference to a local LFS I can tell you're familiar with, who had no voice on this board. His cause was taken up by one or two loyal customers, and complaints were made to moderators etc.

I don't believe the proprietor had any interest in coming on this board to defend himself. He is his own man - if we don't like his practises we can shop elsewhere. Myself I've been going into his store for 13 years, and if I want to express a little displeasure from time to time, I just might. No big deal, as long as I keep coming back to shop. That's his bottom line.

As for Bob, I wish everyone would calm down a bit, especially those not really entitled to make judgments on his character. Again, he is his own person and not answerable to any one of us. If we don't agree with his forms of expression, we can choose not to correspond with him. Our choice. We have seen after his last public rebuke how he made an effort to moderate his own comments.

If you perceive a person to be "difficult" or "cranky" or "sweet" this should temper your interaction with them. Just keep in mind who you think you're dealing with. It would be good if we could all meet eventually and get to know each other even slightly... this would clear up a lot.

Good point Alan, With the all meeting part. Well this weekend at Tony's for the Calgary Reef Meeting would let all/most of the Calgarian's meet eachother that have not allready done so.
So I Expect A Good Turn Out! :lol:

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 07:46 AM
I have spent the last 4 or 5 hours on a tank tear down, and boy what a mess it has been. And as many of you know I am a bleeding heart liberal, and as such took it upon myself to save every copepod, every bristle worm .... even the gross icky thing that looked like something out of Dune, this 6-8" monstrous worm with legs and a really weird clamping kind of jaw or something .... Jonathan can even back me up on this one.

Anyways, my point is, man, I'm tired, and cranky. And I'm not sure I have anything to say that makes sense, so bear with me.

So I am not going to say anything more, except the following:

1. What is WITH this internet thing?

2. Canreef is my happy place. Stop making my happy place an unhappy place! If you make my happy place an unhappy place, I shall have to fart in your general direction!

3. I had Subway for lunch. I'm halfway to a 12" sub now.

4. The sky is really pretty right now. It's very clear, and I can see stars.

5. My back hurts.

6. Remember that we are free to disagree with one another. If we all agreed on everything, then we'd really have nothing to talk about. Feel free to attack a person's opinions, but never the person just because you disagree or don't like the way it is expressed.

7. Here kitty kitty ... ooops sorry lost my train of thought.

8. I want you to know that I respect your opinion, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I will fight for your right to voice your opinion (even if you're wrong. :lol: )

9. What time do the bars close on Tuesday? Actually I guess it's Wednesday. Drat.

10. Good night.. please take care out there.

MitchM
01-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Back to what this was really about. I'd sure like to invite those, who were apposed to my post, in the future to start making right or point out the wrong impressions we may have. I've seen replies/posts from LFS from out of town. :D So this is possible :wink:
Ande

Ande,
I for one had a problem with your original post, but I don't understand what you're asking me to do here....?
I can't make right whatever is/was wrong, and I have no intention of changing any impression you may have. Do business wherever you like - but I think it is unwise to make unfounded accusations and generalizations that put this board's existence in jeopardy.

Mitch :D

rossb
01-29-2003, 01:43 PM
WAI can't we Al just get along :lol: :lol:

MitchM
01-29-2003, 01:47 PM

Bob I
01-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Spot on, old chap. Without having met someone, you are prone to (usually wrong) impressions. I would like to say that everyone I have met through contact on this board has been a joy to me. Some have even become good friends, which is great for a friendless person. If I snipe a bit once in a while at the people I know, I am certain they don't hold it against me. If they do feel upset they let me know, and we thrash it out. No big deal. :roll: :wink:

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Well spoke. I beleive we all tend to have our moments, but luckily forgiveness, and perhaps more so forgetfulness, is in good supply.

This is why I have to beleive in giving second chances: I need so many myself. :)

By mere virtue of being in here, we are united in one thing: our love of all things reef and marine. Of course we cannot always agree, but like I said, that makes it INTERESTING to talk it out! For example, there is really nothing interesting in the following conversation:

A: "This rock is purple."
B: "Yes, this is rock is purple."
End of debate.

Whereas:

A: "This rock is purple."
B: "Are you colourblind? It's pink!"
C: "What a bunch of silly nitwits. Clearly, it's MAUVE."
A: "Who the heck are you?"
B: "Welcome to Canreef"
D: "Hey, when I picked up my rock yesterday, a worm came out. What is that?"
A: "Can we get back to my rock???"
etc.

MitchM
01-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Tony, did you know that you spelled believe incorrectly?

............... :P

(sorry...just trying to lighten things up.... :lol: )

Bob I
01-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Tony, did you know that you spelt believe incorrectly?

............... :P

(sorry...just trying to lighten things up.... :lol: )

I have told him that many times, but he says he will spell it any way he wants. :D

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Yup ... fully aware that I spelled a word incorrectly. Aint gonna change it either!! :P

Actually ... Basically the way I type, when I type an "i" and an "e" the two fingers used are my right hand middle finger and my left hand middle finger (and ... no ... I am not going where you think I am going with this). Anyways these are the two strongest typing fingers, and as the two strongest members of two competing clans ... er .. hands, they like to out-macho each other so they like to have a little competition to see who can be first. It is essentially what is known in real-time programming as a "race condition". Being that I am right handed, my left hand has a chip on its shoulder and as such, has a lot of spite, and puts all that is has into the race, and as a result, tends to win these races.

Um ... maybe I really shouldn't be divulging how my mental processes work, for fear of being committed. I also talk to my cats, and they talk back to me. They usually tell me that they think I am crazy.

As a software developer, I generally end up relying on my compilers to catch my typos. But this isn't programming so I have no net. :P

Bob I
01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
That gentlemen is the crux of the whole dilemma. When I tell you that you misspelled something, I do it for fun. You know me relatively well, so you come back and tell me I am a dillhole for telling you that. Problem solved. But when someone who is 800 miles away, and has never met me calls me a nitpicking dillhole, I get upset. Ther is an old quote which states something like "Know thine enemy" 'Nuff said, Okay. :?: :D :wink:

Now all we need is for Kim, and Doug to add their somewhat acerbic comments, and we will have beaten this to death quite nicely.

Oh and one more thing, a riddle. Do you know the difference between meat and fish? Ans. If you beat your fish it dies. :D :D :D :D :D

rossb
01-29-2003, 05:12 PM
and tell me I am a dillhole for telling you that

I don't mean to be critical here but I was checking on the definition of dillhole in my word processor...and the only thing that came up was "drill hole". Knowing that you didn't mean drill hole I checked with my thesaurus and it suggested (among other things) "drink greedily". Is that true Bob :lol:

whereas:

now what was it that Tony was on about

Bob I
01-29-2003, 05:22 PM
and tell me I am a dillhole for telling you that

I don't mean to be critical here but I was checking on the definition of dillhole in my word processor...and the only thing that came up was "drill hole". Knowing that you didn't mean drill hole I checked with my thesaurus and it suggested (among other things) "drink greedily". Is that true Bob :lol:

whereas:

now what was it that Tony was on about

Dillhole - That seventies show.

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 05:22 PM
What part? All of it? I can go into further detail if you like....

rossb
01-29-2003, 07:21 PM
What part? All of it? I can go into further detail if you like....

Sorry another sad attempt at humor ... you know you start with a purple rock and end up with why you misspell words when you cut your finger off. :D

When it comes to digressing…I can keep up with the best of ya

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey now that reminds me of a story ......

;)

Tau2301
01-30-2003, 02:00 AM
When dealing with a LFS (or people) it good to remember that you attract more Bees with honey.

If the tanks are looking good then tell them. Tell them what you like about the current setup. Positive affirmations are the way to go.

If you're displeased with what you see, try some good-natured sarcasm. To criticize about the crowded conditions of a tank, say something like.

“It was good of that fish to sacrifice its life so that the others could have more room.”

Or of the fish that is being harassed to death.

“Is that one a feeder fish.”

How about something along the lines of a Jeopardy answer.

“I’ll take Ick for $45 dollars Alex.”

Remember above all else, “be kind to one another.”

Bob I
01-30-2003, 02:11 AM
That is an interesting point, and it may have merit at some stores.

For instance I bought a Lemonpeel at Pisces. The girl went out of her way to show me it ate. I told her a week later the fish was doing well. Now every time I go there she asks about the fish.

I bought three Damsels at Wai's. when released into the tank one disappeared and was never seen again. I returned to the store and told the proprietor the story, and told him I needed to purchase another. This gave him a perfect opening to say how sorry he was, and he would give me another. Did he you say? Not blooming likely, the replacement was not a nickel less expensive.

The difference is self evident is it not?

StirCrazy
01-30-2003, 02:46 AM
I bought three Damsels at Wai's. when released into the tank one disappeared and was never seen again. I returned to the store and told the proprietor the story, and told him I needed to purchase another. This gave him a perfect opening to say how sorry he was, and he would give me another. Did he you say? Not blooming likely, the replacement was not a nickel less expensive.

The difference is self evident is it not?

um.. no, why do you feel he should have to apoligize? did he do something to you? fish die.. it happens and it is for the most part beyone our controle... also why should he give you a discount because a fish he sold you died in your tank? not trying to be insulting or anything Bob but unless he pourposuly sold you fish that he knew would die how could you expect somthing like that?

If it was me I would have said something though.. probably "thats to bad... how many more do you need :wink: "

but yes to add my part to this topic I have been staying out of, Bob you do get a bum rap on here but you can't say you didn't bring most of it on your self. and this is the problem with human nature once something has gone on long enuf it sticks and is hard to change what you have been labled (I know spelling :wink: ) with.. weather your signatures or your spelling corections were jokes it did anoy alot of people, I myself don;t like to be reminded every other post that I have dislexia, I have had it all my life and I know I have it. Others just don't like reading through all the garbage to get to the real post.. I personaly get a chuckel some times out of all the tangents a thread can take.. like a life of its own.

like this thread for instance.. and in the famous words previoulsy said.. I digress (I probably spelt that wrong to eh :? )

Steve

MitchM
01-30-2003, 03:02 AM
http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/otn/angry/frusty.gif

Bob I
01-30-2003, 04:22 AM
I did not expect him to give me a new fish, I just wanted to point out that some people are more caring than others. I gave Daniel an opening to be nice. He did not take it, no big deal as I was perfectly prepared to pay for the new fish. :D

BTW Steve I have patiently read your posts, and have not remarked on spelling for a very long time. As Tony said today "we should perhaps practice forgiveness"

We should also not always think we are the only ones who are right. There are many ways to do things in this hobby, and all should be free to express their opinion without being jumped on, and made to feel like an idiot. As I have said I have made every effort to mend my ways because you guys did not like my approach, so be so kind and stop dumping on me Okay?

BC_Grl
01-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Mitch, that is a cool icon. Where did you get it?
btw- I must say I liked that pic of you. Do you actually cook? :lol: :lol:
I'm one for talk- my husband cooks about 90-95% of the time (but don't tell him mine tastes better though :wink: )

Btw- where is cowtown?

BC_Grl
01-30-2003, 04:42 AM
Bob- how about a clean slate?

AJ_77
01-30-2003, 05:20 AM

Can I answer for Bob, who seems to be in bed now? OK then... (ahem)

"Sure thing! Best idea I've heard yet. You Victoria types are good people, and we welcome you in our Cowtown forum with open arms." :D

Aquattro
01-30-2003, 05:23 AM

Can I answer for Bob, who seems to be in bed now? OK then... (ahem)

"Sure thing! Best idea I've heard yet. You Victoria types are good people, and we welcome you in our Cowtown forum with open arms." :D

LOL - Alan, if I didn't see your sig, I would swear that Bob said that!! You are good!

BC_Grl
01-30-2003, 05:28 AM
we welcome you in our Cowtown forum with open arms

AJ- you know how I feel about that offer... just waiting for the "old man" to say "YES!" hehe

EmilyB
01-30-2003, 06:15 AM
Mitch,

Since Danny was made aware of the thread, and I got the impression his first reaction was legal retaliation, why hasn't he made an appearance here ?

I would welcome discussion with him.

MitchM
01-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Mitch, that is a cool icon. Where did you get it?
btw- I must say I liked that pic of you. Do you actually cook? :lol: :lol:
I'm one for talk- my husband cooks about 90-95% of the time (but don't tell him mine tastes better though :wink: )

Btw- where is cowtown?

Jeanna - I got the icon from: http://mysmilies.com/

I was looking for one that was beating a dead horse, but found that one instead! :wink:
Yes, I am THE cook in the house!....(right dear?) :D Right after that pic, I filled the bag with 2 bottles of wine and let it sit overnight.
.........well, maybe a little less than 2 bottles...... :wink:

Cowtown = Calgary. I remember that sign on one of the roads entering Calgary when I was growing up.

Deb, to answer your question directly - I don't know. But FWIW, it's not really necessary, is it?
The very nature of a business dealing in live animals is controversial. Passion and business do not mix. You can't have 5000 gallon tanks with mass macro algae forests and cascading plancton reactors and a supply of constant live food for each fish to be displayed until it's sold and still make money without selling each fish for 2 thousand dollars. You can't exactly keep it on the front driveway in the hot sun and expect the fish to live until it's sold, either. So each LFS has to make up it's mind how in between those two extremes it's going to run it's business.
(Deb, I know that you know this stuff already, but this is for people that are not really familiar with business)
In the bigger picture, what are we, about 10 people here that purchase from Wai's? - and only occasionally? - and some buy on price first? I doubt that we are really that big of a portion of his sales. I buy there because I prefer to see what I am getting when it comes to livestock. I've been to almost every other LFS in town, and Wai's is where I get the best service and advice. I can get into discussions with Danny about chemical issues with our water, with shipping practices, woodworking, business dealings in general, supplier issues and pretty much anything having to do with keeping a reef. No, we don't agree on everything. He's been in the business for about 20 years. He's seen it all, and all the fads. He used to be an Aquaricare dealer (I think that's the name, anyways....you know, those algae turf scrubbers...). He's the owner. He works 7 days a week there. He builds custom fish tanks and cabinets - and top quality. (He's shown me some of the cabinets before he delivers them.) He recognizes me when I come in.
With other fish stores in town, I talk with the employees....sometimes....
At big Als, they do greet me and stuff, but it's usually by an employee that warns me about the dangers of a trigger, has never heard of Aquamedic, Aqualine, ESV - but they have a MH "conversion kit" that converts my flourescent fixture over to MH for $1500.00. They didn't know what a double ended MH bulb was.
At Riverfront, I can be the ONLY customer in the store and NOT ONE person will come up and offer any assistance. There are a few people standing in the back, smoking, just watching me.....what's up with that!? Do I look like a narc or something?.......I can be in there for half an hour, for pete's sake! Then I just leave. And on my way out I walk by the "reptile room" that has lots of critters, some with a couple of blind baby mice squirming on the woodchip floor of the glass tank being eyed by some kind of "dragon".
Pisces is probably my second choice, after Wai's, to buy stuff from - but again, it's staffed by employees that may or may not know me, and they have no where near the coral display that Danny does.
There are a few instances that stick out in my mind with my dealings with Danny - I went in there once to ask him how to keep algae from growing on a sick Euphyllia I had. He told me about water quality, iodine dip for the infection, water circulation, ect, and then he says that he has some algae growing on an acro that he got in, and then he pulls out a pair of tweezers from behind the counter and proceeds to clean the acro of some hair algae that had started growing on it! How many other LFS's would do that? Some of the other things that he has had to contend with are people trying to start their own coral farming operation in Calgary. One guy in particular would come into his store and start handing out business cards, telling Danny's customers that they could buy corals cheaper from him out of his home. Wai's is also frequented by employees from other LFS' that are sent to find out what Danny sells stuff for, and then they adjust their prices accordingly. - Just under Danny's prices, of course.
I think that the people that frequent these BB's have a passion for fish and corals that is unfortunately rare. I see Jayson on here, but not J&L. They both have mail order businesses. Danny does not. Why isn't J&L on here? (J&L and SWC are both great to deal with, BTW)
It takes a lot of time to read and post on these boards, and I don't expect it's worth it to Danny.
It wasn't me, BTW, that informed him about the cyanide thread - it was a friend of his out of town. - and that issue isn't even about him anymore. It's about the internet and business and libel.
If you want to discuss things with Danny, then go and discuss it with him.

Deb, I'm sure that you've read this thread, but for those of you that haven't, and are tired of paying full retail......read this:http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23&start=0

Mitch

TANGOMAN
01-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Wow, this got to the fourth page and I kept my nose out of it. Pretty good eh ? Aw crap, now I'm in... :roll: . I'm goona' pass on any of the LFS stuff as we've done that thread...
One thing I believe is this: We do not all have to conform to the same beliefs, morals, values, and spelling abilities. If we did, would that not make our moderators "dictators" ? Anyone who's been to Cuba would agree that's not a very appealing system. We should respect one anothers opinions. Right or wrong. We should also be able to state the fact I/we don't agree/approve. If ya' can't take the heat that accompanies a comment or action you made. You should have considered those consequences earlier. The key is respect. This too is my happy place. Reading so many others comments, it's obviously yours as well.

I don't really care if someone likes someone else or not. That's not my battle. I would like to say something about a person I refer to as "the grumpy old man..."
It's very difficult to interpret how something is meant without reading a persons eyes. I've met Bob twice. He smiles ya' know. He's kinda' grumpy and comes across to me as a man set in his ways. Stubborn ?
I first "conversed" with Bob probably 3-4 years ago ? Aquaria Cental board. He was one of very few Canadians and the only other fellow Calgarian there. One posting there I joked with a "friend" that I was moving tanks on the weekend and he could help. This guy was in Ohio and he of course said no problem...well some rcipena guy drops a line in there saying "I can help. I have a small truck. Let me know..." I didn't even reply or offer a thank-you for the offer. I was probably envisioning some psycho who just wanted to scope out my possessions and return to put an axe in my head when I was sleeping and steal my stuff... :shock:

Bobs' ok in my eyes. Ya' he nitpicks. Comes across as opinionated,grumpy...shall I continue Bob ? My mom has a lot of similar characteristics. Don't you be talkin' bad about my mom though... :wink:

Life is good... :D

Bob I
01-30-2003, 04:15 PM

Well I am finally here after talking to my sister for an hour (she never phones, but when I do I can't get her off the phone)

Of course a clean slate is excellent. I normally don't carry a grudge (not like my brother who can carry one forever)

Nitpicking on spelling is a hopeless task anyway. I will, however, continue to do things my way as long as they work for me. If someone ask me if I use a skimmer, I will continue to say I do not. That works for me, and if you don't like that, I have no problem at all. Just don't call me a dummy if you don't agree. I am always open for a reasonable discussion. :wink: :D :D

StirCrazy
01-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Just don't call me a dummy if you don't agree. I am always open for a reasonable discussion. :wink: :D :D

Can we call ya a stubberon old mule? :shock: :lol: :wink: 8)

Steve

Bob I
01-31-2003, 01:23 AM
Just don't call me a dummy if you don't agree. I am always open for a reasonable discussion. :wink: :D :D

Can we call ya a stubborn old mule? :shock: :lol: :wink: 8)

Steve

No problem, as long as you call me in time for breakfast. BTW I could not help myself, I corrected your spelling of stubborn. :D :D :wink: :roll:
Bob

BTW I tried that small container for the Colt frag we were chatting about, and one has finally attached.

EmilyB
01-31-2003, 04:02 AM
Why isn't J&L on here? (J&L and SWC are both great to deal with, BTW)

Deb, I'm sure that you've read this thread, but for those of you that haven't, and are tired of paying full retail......read this:http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23&start=0

Mitch

I'm not sure J&L has had to be on here... :? Or did I miss something?

However, I will, hopefully, visit their humble facilities this weekend. :wink:

What I do know is I received a quadruple bagged mini tang in awesome shape from J&L, for one example. :D

Also, I do know, from a local purchase, I cradled the last water in a single bag on a twenty minute drive home, trying to keep it in the gills of a single bagged yellow tang who was in worse shape than Half Pint O Tang.....he died.

Yes, to some, the price is the whole story. For me, it is much more than higher prices that keep me from dealing with certain LFS.

MitchM
01-31-2003, 12:16 PM
What I do know is I received a quadruple bagged mini tang in awesome shape from J&L, for one example. :D

Also, I do know, from a local purchase, I cradled the last water in a single bag on a twenty minute drive home, trying to keep it in the gills of a single bagged yellow tang who was in worse shape than Half Pint O Tang.....he died.

I hear ya...and that sounds like a mistake. I wouldn't have recognized that, BTW, I didn't know that before.

You got any room in that backpack of yours of some pics of J & L?

Mitch :o