PDA

View Full Version : Deltec Eco Cooler

Jason McK
11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
New Chiller form Deltec. Looks really cool.

http://www.deltecusa.us/ecocoolers/index.php

Doug
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
:surprise: 35 watts. A fair dollar though.

Jason McK
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM
I like the lower cost of running and the noise factor. I figure they are about double the cost. but how long until they have paid for themselves

J

fkshiu
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Tunze has a similar product. Its effectiveness is dependent on humidity so if the room is bone dry it'll work great, but on a muggy summer day in the tropics not so good.

untamed
11-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Now..where the *(&^ am I going to fit that thing in? I should have made the fish room bigger...I wish they provided more detail on it's operation.

Delphinus
11-30-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't quite get it. Is it basically a swamp cooler? Ie, trickle water down a filter medium of sorts to encourage evaporation? If so, that's 1) A really neat idea, it works well for greenhouses, 2) Hugely, HUGELY overpriced (which makes me think it must be something more elaborate than what I'm thinking - but the postage stamp sized picture at the site didn't really lend itself well for me understanding how this thing works) and 3) Expect your humidity to go up so have a plan in place to shed that humidity. I've been in greenhouses powered by swamp coolers and the humidity is basically 100% - not something you want in a house.

I'm going to have to see if I can find out more info. Tunze makes a similar product? I'll check there first maybe. :)

I'm all for a lower cost alternative to cooling though.

Delphinus
11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure it is just a swamp cooler. I don't know whether to be awestruck that they adapted the idea to aquaria, or awestruck at how much they're charging for it. Either way, I guess I'm awestruck. :lol:

Seems to me a DIY wouldn't be too bad. An acrylic box to hold the whole thing, a recirculation pump to draw water to the top and let it trickle down the filter media, a fan to push air through the filter media .. and some various plumbing. The only real question I have is what filter media would one use?

Renegade
11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
talk about the top off you'd have to do to replace all that fresh water