PDA

View Full Version : Building a new tank need opinions

CHEAPREEF
01-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Well i've decided to build a tank to put both my nano reefs in, should have done this in the first place rather than building another nano. The tank will be 24x18x18, around 30gal. The overflow and lighting are the only things i'm not positve on.

The overflow i was thinking of building on the outside back wall in the center, so to not take up so much space. Any pros and cons on this? The second option was a setup like Stircrazy has with a single pipe center back. Anybody have any other suggestions, i would like to get around 700-900 gal/hr flow.

Now for lights, i want to use 175watt MH. I have two ballasts and sockets, but only one 10,000k bulb right now. Would one be ok over this size of tank or will i really beifite from two. Either way i will be supplementing with 3 actinics overdriven by a workhorse 7. The water column will be 14-15" with the DSB, and i would like to keep some SPS and a few clams.(already have one.)
Thanks for any advise. :wink:

Clinton

StirCrazy
01-28-2003, 03:31 PM
is this going to be a glass or acrylic tank?

Steve

CHEAPREEF
01-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Glass.

Clinton

Dez
01-28-2003, 04:21 PM
I just built a 46 gallon glass tank with center overflow, however, it's on the inside. How were you thinking of putting it on the outside? Would you notch into the glass? What about just a hole drilled in the back wall and a 90 elbow as your overflow. We do a lot of client's tanks like this and it takes up minimal room...

One halide should be sufficient, it would be awesome actually.

Des

StirCrazy
01-28-2003, 04:25 PM
an, external overflow would be cool, but it is harder to do on glass, hmm i wonder if they could grind teeth into glass.. if the could you could make a double back and have your plumbing and such inbetween..

on a nano type tank I feel it would be best to make it as un obtrusive as you can sence realestate is limited enough as it is.

Steve

StirCrazy
01-28-2003, 04:53 PM
here is what I mean, this will let you run a small sump or refuge also.

http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/temppics/idealnano.jpg

Steve

CHEAPREEF
01-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Steve, i forgot to say i am using a 10gal tank for a sump. I may also use a fuge if i can fit it under the stand. I was goingt to have them cut a slot in the back and build the overflow on the back side with a durso type of pipe. I want to put the tank in the corner so i will have about a foot of space behind the center to play with. Either that or a setup like yours with one pipe, witht the slits cut out of the top. So 1 175watt will be good enough? Thanks for input guys. :wink:

Clinton

Dez
01-28-2003, 07:00 PM
I forgot to mention Clinton, If you're going with Steve's idea, then make sure you get tinted glass, it'll make things a heck of a lot easier and nicer. Let me know if you need a hand with the building of it...

Talk to you soon..

Des

StirCrazy
01-28-2003, 07:07 PM
So 1 175watt will be good enough? Thanks for input guys. :wink:

Clinton

one 175 will be lots, should be able to grow anything with a 175 on a small tank.

Steve

Delphinus
01-28-2003, 07:12 PM
I agree, I have a 175 over a 20g and it is quite nice. This used to be my SPS tank in fact, and I had really nice colours happening in there. Before my carpet anemone decided to lovingly caress all my frags and shade them from the light as if by some sort of maternal instinct to protect her children from UV. I have since learnt that it is best to not keep anemones and SPS together. But I digress. You know, I had a prof in university whom we all made fun of because of his tendency to digress into these really interesting tangents. I don't know why I mention that, it just seemed appropriate somehow.

Dez
01-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Hey Tony...

I think that anemones in sps tanks are okay. I have a friend with anemones in his sps dominated tank (Jonathan has seen it personally also), and I have an anemone in my sps dominated tank...

You can have your wish, you just have to position your corals in a protected manner..

Des

Delphinus
01-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes I know, just not in a 20g. Make a tank big enough, can solve a few problems for sure. Time and again, I see people trading away or selling their anemones so that they can make room for more SPS. That's more what I meant, I didn't mean that it can't be done.... It's just that any host anemone has the capacity to get very large. Some species more so than others though, so it all depends.

CHEAPREEF
01-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Interesting topic and all, but how about my topic. LOL 8)

Clinton

Bob I
01-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Okay, back to your topic. I had a tank that exact size built by Inter American. 3/8" glass, no center brace. I do not use overflows, but I had a 10 gallon tank as a refugium right beside the tank. I fed that with two one inch u-tubes, and returned with a MJ 400. It was lit with one 175W MH. It was a nice simple system, of which I tired rather quickly. I went back to a standard 50 with my CPR HOB refugium. Ross is now using the tank as a refugium.

CHEAPREEF
01-28-2003, 09:28 PM
So your tank was 3/8? I talked to 4 different glass places and told them what i was building, they all told me 6mm glass was all i would need. Is this incorrect? I relly don't want 30gal water on my floor, but going to 3/8 will make the cost 2.5x higher. Just want to make sure before i get it cut.

Clinton

StirCrazy
01-28-2003, 10:09 PM
3/8's is a little over kill, my 90 gal is 3/8th glass, 1/4" will do you more than fine.

Steve

Bob I
01-28-2003, 10:50 PM
3/8's is a little over kill, my 90 gal is 3/8th glass, 1/4" will do you more than fine.

Steve

I said I did not want a crossbrace, and that is what Mitch said I needed. It was only 80 bucks, and now it is a nice refugium. :D :D

CHEAPREEF
01-29-2003, 05:32 AM
So i should go with a cross brace right. How about this overflow design? http://webpages.charter.net/steel4/55settwo4.JPG
Thanks again guys.

Clinton