PDA

View Full Version : Microbubbles in RSM

frontline
11-30-2007, 05:21 AM
I have had my red sea max up and running for awhile now. I thought that the bubble issue would have dissipated by the break-in period by now. I am running stock filtration. Meaning polishing foam then coarse foam in the first chamber, then the skimmer, the heater is between a small baffle, then the biomax and carbon in the third.
I have noticed that the carbon has floated up towards the return powerheads, would this have any adverse effects?
Any info much appreciated. As well on whether I should be running different filtration.

frontline
12-01-2007, 05:31 AM
bump bump

Gordon H
12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I spent some time looking into a Red Sea Max. I came across the following link to an excellent discussion on the topic.

http://www.reefsuk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10089&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=bf471ec156eebd87f7d35b3f68d06112

Cheers,
Gord.

Hodge
12-02-2007, 02:16 AM
There's a thread on R/C just for RSM owners. There's also a cool site of RSM owners = rsmreefers.com

I've had my RSM running since Aug and have not been able to stop the MB. I even got a replacement skimmer and still have same issues.

Most owners have removed the carbon from the pump chamber and hang it between the skimmer/ heater. It can starve your pumps and create MB if it floats up the pumps.

I'm currently waiting for parts to do a "drop pump" mod with a singe MJ 1200 and have a Tunze nano skimmer on order. I've tried 2 stock skimmers and can't get from leaking MB from the bottom (you can see it it you remove the control panel and look thru the back when the skimmer is on)

Blue Ram
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I have had this tank running for over two months now and it is fully stocked as I cycled with live rock and sand from an existing setup. I had nothing but grief for over a month with various issues - mainly getting enough water to the pumps, having to rearrange the carbon and phosphate remover media and the bubbles. What I have found (has been working well for over 2 weeks now) is replacing the white fine foam with something better (I used the fluval polishing foam), rinsing it out twice a week and at every water change (once a week) rinsing out the black foam. It seems any restriction in flow caused the filter media will create the bubbles. My skimmer appears to be working ok as my phosphate and nitrate levels are good. I also added an additional pump - the koralia nano.

Hodge
12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
I tried a bunch of different arrangements...still get MB.
I removed all stock filter media and moved the carbon over beside the skimmer. This helps but hasn't cured the problem. The problem for me is bubbles getting pulled from the skimmer exit, regardless of flow/restrictions (ran with nothing, still had MB).
I've now ordered a Tunze nano skimmer and a MJ1200 pump. I'm going to replace the 2 pumps with the MJ1200 dropped to the bottom of the chamber (pics of mod on R/C).

frontline
12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
thanks for the tips...yah bubbles seem enivitable.