PDA

View Full Version : Moral Dilemma

bassman
11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I just moved to Quesnel, BC (pop. 10, 000) and have finally setup a system again. So I am starting to look at what livestock retailers are in my area.

Well there is a Petco down the street from me which sells some SW stock, corals, mushrooms, etc.

In the front of the store they have a 55 gal SW display tank of which nothing in it is for sale. This tank is over run with hair algae and house 4-5 different species of anemones. They have a couple large clowns in there as well.

Installed in the tank is a large airstone pumping out so many micro bubbles it's hard to see through the water. And the lighting is just regular PC's if that.

So my dilemma is if I should mention that the anemones require much more powerful lighting and that they should not all be in the same tank or not. As well as knocking down the micro bubbles a tad, if not all together. I know there are varying opinions on air stones in SW systems.

Problem is the manager/owner is kind of a krank pot if you know what I mean, not much of a personality what so ever. Also this is the only local store that carries any SW. The next closest is 1.5 hr drive on shitty mountain roads. So I don't want to **** this person off should I need them to start ordering me some products or livestock.

I just hate to see all those anemones waste away.

Any thoughts?

skylord
11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Ya one thought....J&L Aquatics ships. So does OA......guess thats 2 thoughts. A third....I would tell the guy what he needs to know and order from OA or J&L.

Scott

michika
11-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I second Scott's comments. Maybe approach the Petco and let them know their animals need additional care. Word it tactfully, and maybe provide some literature to back yourself up. In the meantime, don't purchase from them, and take your money elsewhere.

mark
11-29-2007, 08:45 PM
No reason couldn't point out in a nice way and if he freaks, walk.

Maybe try the approach, nicer tank, more sales.

fishoholic
11-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I have to say I agree with all the above. Good luck, and even if they get upset at least you'll know you did the right thing.

Jason McK
11-29-2007, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't spend a penny at the store and get everything from J&L and OA or anyone else you can find that will ship at a reasonable price.
I would tell the guy he is not doing himself or the tank inhabitants any good. but you never know when you'll be strapped for a pump or something and just might have to go in a get something.
But he must understand that if he wants to promote SW he should do it by having a tank that looks like crap.

J

Der_Iron_Chef
11-29-2007, 09:48 PM
But what is he going to do, even if it does anger him? Not let you shop there? Not order something for you? That's just stupid and petty.

But I also agree with the above--take your business (if possible) to a more reputable place!

michika
11-29-2007, 09:52 PM
But what is he going to do, even if it does anger him? Not let you shop there? Not order something for you? That's just stupid and petty.

Who knows, there is a reefing club in the states that are banned from Petco for trying to change conditions in one of their stores.

bassman
11-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow thanks everybody. I stopped there to rescue that anemone a few minutes ago and after seeing how they treat their livstock I won't be buying anything from there.

The woman was tugging and pulling it, trying to pry him off of his rock. So I told her to just leave the poor thing alone. I am 99.9% sure it's injured after that! Some people man! I even told her to just remove the rock he is on and I will bring it back once I got him to move off the rock himself. Nope that wasn't an option, she would have to take the entire tank apart. Not true the poor thing is sitting just about as high as he can get in the tank on one nice little chunk of rock. Obviously starving for light.

Oh well, I will be saying something the next time I go in there. I just want to choose my words right and make sure I can back up what I say first. I am hoping her husband will be there too, apparently he is the one who knows everything, or is that nothing. Hmmm

Thanks again everybody.

michika
11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm glad you too action to rescue the anemone. I hope he/it recovers and things go well when you speak to the guy about it all.

Raf
11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Don't suggest more light, that will just cause him more hair algae :D

Seriously, i have fought this fight before with big box chain pet stores like Petco, Petcetera, etc...I even sent a letter to the president of Petcetera complaining on how they treat their small animals....

you can't save the world, those stores exist mostly for large pets and their owners(dogs/cats/etc) not for small animals like fish. You can try to suggest but most likely, even if the manager seems nice and is willing to make a change, that change will not come or come so slowly those anenomes will be long gone.

my 2 cents.

and YES, JL all the way!

BC564
11-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Maybe the husband is a professional....that could be the issue

Sorry....couldnt resist...

Myka
11-30-2007, 02:40 AM
I would send a snail mail letter. Also explain that you would like to be a customer of theirs, but their obvious lack of knowledge ushers you away (might want to word that a bit better!). You could even offer to help them out. Snail mail letter would be best I think because it would make them feel a LOT less defensive. An email would likely just get a nasty response. With snail mail they'd have to take effort to respond, and would likely only do so if they cared. :)

Slipstream
11-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Ya just moved 1.5 hours away from me on those ****** roads.. even though they arent really 'mountains' lol.. Im from PG, glad to have another close buy member :) But yah, id tell them, they might actually be grateful as you may be saving them money. :)

Zylumn
11-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Bassman look at this as an opportunity. Offer your services to work p/t a couple hours a week and negotiate SW products for yourself at cost. There is a reason why that tank looks so bad (lack of effort) show them what needs to be done and watch them take pride of something they own. Standing on the outside looking in, those anenome's are doomed. Bassman you are doing the right thing by getting involved. Tell them you have over 3000 SW Aquarium Owner Associates and if you need a reference I would be proud to do what I can.
Kevin

Der_Iron_Chef
11-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Maybe the husband is a professional....that could be the issue

Sorry....couldnt resist...

Mwaaaha. Maybe they're actually fake anemones, designed to look exactly like their real counterparts in the ocean. :D

ron101
11-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Personally I think most of those places are beyond hope. Save your time and sanity and just avoid them.

Jeff_
11-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Many times, even when an experienced person works at one of these large chain stores they are so restricted in what they can actually do, and this puts them at a very hard position. :sad:

EmilyB
11-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Cut 'em loose...sometimes you just have to let it go.

tang daddy
11-30-2007, 07:58 AM
suggestions are nice but we all know where it goes into a box!
I meant that in a nice way, I usually try to help out places if I think they're doing something wrong but sometimes they just don't seem to care....
With that said maybe you can make a diff and I hope you can but if they're stubborn then not much more you can do.
Just don't go buying livestock from there and maybe if you need equiptment or salt look and compare to see who is cheaper.

bassman
11-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the input everybody. It certainly gives me lots to consider. I think for now I will just offer some advice each time I go in there and keep watching for the actual owner. Then perhaps I will offer my assistance in anyway I can.

Fortunately they keep all the SW (aside from the disgusting display tank) in the back so I don't have to see any of it while shopping for other things.

The manager is clueless. I came to that conclusion after watching her with the SW livestock for less then a minute. She is also very touchy, seems like she could be a real beotch so I figure I would be wasting my breath anyways.

She told me that the display tank is 10-15 yrs old which tells me that they think they know what they are doing. So I am sure they are not looking for advice from any of their know it all customers.

If I ever see the owner you can gaurantee I will be cornering him and asking him some keys questions to determine his knowledge. Perhaps he is a different type of person, open to suggestions etc.

Time will tell I guess.

Thanks again everybody.

bassman
11-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Ya just moved 1.5 hours away from me on those ****** roads.. even though they arent really 'mountains' lol.. Im from PG, glad to have another close buy member :) But yah, id tell them, they might actually be grateful as you may be saving them money. :)

Yah I know they aren't "real" mountain roads but coming from Alberta they are close enough for me LOL, lot's of twisties!! I find I actually have to pay attention when I am driving now. How annoying!!! Ssshh!!

So how are things in PG? Not much SW stuff there either eh? I can't remember which store it was that I was in a couple weeks ago, maybe Petco?? I am not sure but they were setting up a coral tank in the back room. So that gives me hope. LOL

What type of system are you running?

bassman
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Mwaaaha. Maybe they're actually fake anemones, designed to look exactly like their real counterparts in the ocean. :D

Oh man did you make me laugh with this one!! ROFLMAO!!! Too funny, thanks