PDA

View Full Version : Miricle Mud or what else?

enzo54321
01-28-2003, 06:21 AM
Last night I was driving to my lfs and I was thinking about all that money I was going to spend on Miracle Mud but than I turned around and decided to make a little more research I had already read up about this but I was interested in knowing If this is really my only alternative or is theire something else out there that does the same thing has the MM.

I hope someone can help? :roll: :?:

MitchM
01-28-2003, 12:51 PM
What are you hoping that the MM will actually do?

Mitch

enzo54321
01-28-2003, 04:31 PM
all they say it does and without a skimmer or trace elements!

MitchM
01-28-2003, 04:43 PM
I've seen example after example of successful tanks running with Miracle Mud. I've heard of only a couple of disappointments.
I've never been a fan of "systems" that solve all your problems, so I decided to get some myself, and incorporate it into a DSB I had running in one of my sumps. My mangrove and macro algae did fantastic, (I've been unable to grow either previously) and I saw no ill effects from the MM.
If it wasn't so expensive, I would try the system on a separate set up of mine. It's not that I can't afford the system, it's just that I can't see the value for the price charged. A good ole' DSB and knowledge about reefs in general will do the same thing, IMO.
I think that a Miracle Mud system is a simple way of having a successful reef tank. I know of no equivalent product to it, though.

Mitch

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2003, 06:09 PM
I had a hard time justifying the MM too, so I decided to try Mineral Mud, jury is still out on it, but the more I think about it the more I think I may just build a HOB refugium for Miracle Mud and reap the benifits of both, only bad thing is I wont know which is better.

Bob I
01-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Just as a matter of interest. I have a CPR 12" refugium. It has a bit of Aragonite on the bottom. I grow Caulerpa in it, and I throw some out regularly because it grows so fast. I don't think I will buy a $100.00 bag of MM. :wink:

enzo54321
01-28-2003, 09:40 PM
do you have a skimmer and do you add trace elements to your system?

Bob I
01-28-2003, 10:47 PM
do you have a skimmer and do you add trace elements to your system?

No I don't do either. I also don't change water much. I guess my goal is to keep things natural. You can look at my website for pictures if you want.

MitchM
01-29-2003, 01:27 AM
I guess my goal is to keep things natural. You can look at my website for pictures if you want.

enzo54321,

When you see Bob's site, keep in mind that glass beads do not belong in a "natural" reef...... :roll:

Mitch

Bob I
01-29-2003, 01:33 AM
[quote=rcipema] I guess my goal is to keep things natural. You can look at my website for pictures if you want.

enzo54321,

When you see Bob's site, keep in mind that glass beads do not belong in a "natural" reef...... :roll:

Mitch

I suppose sunken ships, broken bottles, barrels of nuclear waste are more natural :?: :?: :wink:

enzo54321
01-29-2003, 01:36 AM
what`s your website address?

Bob I
01-29-2003, 01:42 AM
what`s your website address?

Just click on the WWW below my post.

kgb
01-30-2003, 03:33 AM
question
ok is it hard to grow Caulerpa and other plant or algea in a tank
i got some stuff off of tony and just keep it on one side oif my tank i need to trough a hand full away maybe once a month

BCOrchidGuy
02-01-2003, 03:21 AM
I've found the best way to grow it is to try to get rid of it, once you stop trying to get rid of it, it doesn't do so well....