PDA

View Full Version : shock

Salmon King
11-28-2007, 03:54 PM
I was quite shocked when I got shocked feeding my fish.I have been shocked before but this was a good one.I was quite surprised when I narrowed it down to the ground probe.Cant figure that one out

Electric eel
11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
I would hope that you have your equipment connected to a GFCI outlet. For a cost of $10 to $15 it is a wise purchase.

Delphinus
11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
The grounding probe was the cause of the shock? That is weird. That tells me there's something live on your grounding wires in your house ... that's bad. :eek: I would have an electrician in to diagnose that one!

Static
11-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Are you sure that the ground probe was the source of the voltage?

How did you diagnose it?

It's not likely that the ground probe is faulty, but rather that the probe was completing the circuit that you became a part of. Once the ground probe is removed there is no way to complete the circuit and therefor no way to be shocked.

mark
11-28-2007, 10:34 PM
No shock with a GFI and grounding probe.

Kabong
11-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree with Static, Chances are when you remove the probe the circuit just isn't completing anymore.

Same Idea as a bird on a wire, It's fine unless it touches a second wire and completes the circut.

Salmon King
11-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Are you sure that the ground probe was the source of the voltage?

How did you diagnose it?

It's not likely that the ground probe is faulty, but rather that the probe was completing the circuit that you became a part of. Once the ground probe is removed there is no way to complete the circuit and therefor no way to be shocked.

I unplugged the probe and no more shock

Static
11-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Do you own a volt meter? It'll be pretty much necessary for trouble shooting, unless you want to use yourself to check for stray voltage, lol. Basically you set your voltmeter to AC V put the red wire in the water and the black wire in the ground on your wall plug. Unplug each device one at a time untill you see 0 voltage. Do this without your ground probe installed.

I assume you don't have your tank on a GFCI plug or it would have tripped when you got your shock.

I ran my tank without a GFCI for 2 years, but felt guilty the whole time. It would let you trouble shoot in the same way by tripping untill you unplug the faulty device.

You should probably make sure you've eliminated any possible offending appliances. If unplugging your ground probe removes the symptoms the problem could still be there, and one day if you have a leak, or you're standing on a wet spot you could find out the problem is still there.

Good luck
Myles